How much data do you use?

goosedeath

Reaction score
uh....slightly over 56 GB.....*cough* *cough*.....cycle ends Feb. 3rd.

I watch a lot of Netflix.....

Haha. Nicely done. I hit about 19 gb, no Netflix. Hulu and south park mostly. That's my highest, which was this last billing cycle.

Sent from my Galactic Unicorn!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
After 2+ years my highest use was 580Mb. I don't think I could ever reach 1Gb, n I thought I used alot

Seriously? How is this possible? On 4g, the average user will go through this much in 1-2 days. Hell, the first day I brought my Nexus home I ran it up to nearly 5 gigs. Even on my OG Droid I was still in the 1-3gb/month range and I was by no means a heavy user. I couldn't imagine how little one must use their phone to be under a 1gb cap, even with wifi usage...

prowler85

Reaction score
Seriously? How is this possible? On 4g, the average user will go through this much in 1-2 days. Hell, the first day I brought my Nexus home I ran it up to nearly 5 gigs. Even on my OG Droid I was still in the 1-3gb/month range and I was by no means a heavy user. I couldn't imagine how little one must use their phone to be under a 1gb cap, even with wifi usage...

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking with all of these posts saying they're in the MB's (and not GB's). Maybe if you never left the house and just stayed connected wo WiFi 24/7, though not sure why you'd even need a smartphone in that case. I'm sure if I really, really tried by connecting to every possible WiFi connection, I could stay under a 4 gb cap, but there's no way I'd ever be able to stay under a gig.

Detonation

Reaction score
Now that I have 4g I'm streaming a lot more and using Wifi less. Last month I believe I used around 4GB, about half of that being from streaming music via Slacker. If I start streaming Netflix I can imagine that number is going to grow significantly.

I use Wifi Tether with my Touchpad every so often, but strangely enough, the GNex only says the Wifi Tether app has use 1KB, where the app itself says its used about 25MB. I wonder where/if that data is being tracked, since nothing in my app data usage list with that much data is anything related.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
View attachment 46435
that was about a year ago, mostly over a weekend time. i've gone down quite a bit since then.

(waits for flaming to start, not that i haven't heard it all already over the last year lol)

Fonzz

Reaction score
4G + HotSpot

Here's where I'm at...

300h2yf.jpg

I started paying an extra 30$ per month for the hotspot feature to try it out. I liked the speeds compared to my home DSL line, so I was using it more and more, plus, I stay over at my girlfriends house 5 nights a week. She actually has a fast cable connection though and I usually just use that when I'm there.

I finally decided I didn't need the home DSL nor the land line so I cut 'em both to save and justify (easily) the extra money for the hotspot. I simply decided a fast mobile IP, for the price, was ideal for my situation. I wouldn't dream of using anywhere near what I do now without legitimately paying for the feature and I made sure when I signed up for it that there would be no limitations on data, or exactly what I could do with it, whatsoever.

I'd already been using lots of data for quite some time before I went this route (wireless). I won't be discussing what all I'm getting from the internet, but I will say that I generally upload even more than I download, even more so now because the up speeds are much faster this way.

Some observations: The phone gets hot when it's sending or receiving lots of data, the faster the speeds, the hotter it gets, also,
when the phone got hot, it would not even charge enough to keep up. It also seemed to slow down (data) when it got real hot so I've come up with a simple cooling system to keep things very cool. I still have to keep the phone plugged in the whole time just to keep the current battery level. Every once in a while the phone will spontaneously reboot itself requiring me to turn the hotspot back on. Some times the speeds are great and will stay that way, some times kinda slow by comparison and other times the speeds rise and fall. Of course I can also talk on the phone at the same time (bluetooth) but this also seems to reduce the speeds a lot, not sure if it happens all the time though, I just recently noticed it.

Okay, I've tried to answer some of the questions my screenshot might generate with my story above.
Please keep this thread on topic and discuss what the OP asked about ie, how much data we use, I do not want to see this thread get locked.

???

Reaction score
thats a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

prowler85

Reaction score
You do all that with your mobile hotspot? I thought that had a cap? Shoot, I'd ditch my cable and go 4g tether if it was unlimited....my cable gets very slow at times.

Reaction score
Only around 1-2 GB :( I'd use more if the service weren't so crappy in my house and if the phone weren't such a battery hog when I'm out and about.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nothing special really (not like I'm trying to jack it up). Since my family is in Phoenix and I'm in Tucson Mon-Fri, I don't have much to do except work. So I go "home" around 8:30 every night, plug my phone in and turn on tether, and watch about 3 hours of Netflix 4 nights a week. I also listen to Google Music on the ride up and back and during my commute every day, which so far is about 3gb out of the 56. Pandora while at work, which is only about 1gb. So the vast majority is Netflix (which at 48 hours a month makes some sense). But after working 12 hours I like to just relax and veg, and Netflix is my veg of choice.

Google music? I looked and did not see it at Google.com.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums