How much can I safely overclock?

zwegan

Reaction score
How much is it considered safe to overclock my thunderbolt?

I am running the BAMF gigerbread mod with sense 3.0.

Also, will overclocking help or hurt battery life?

Thanks

feindfyre

Reaction score
i don't have any experience with overclocking the thunderbolt but i believe its snapdragon CPU is similar to the OMAP in my droid 2. you should be safe up to 1.2-1.3ish, and can probably take it up to 1.4, tho i wouldn't recommend it. As for battery life, you should be able to have it not impact your battery life, if not improve it by undervolting.

recDNA

Reaction score
I'm using the imoseyon sense kernel and I'm overclocked to 1.4 ghz yet I find a little more lag in this setup than the stock kernel. On the other hand I have excellent battery life and the kernel seems more stable than stock. Always a little lag between keypress and result though. I'm surprised.

recDNA

Reaction score
I'm running the imo kernel in "normal" mode 1.4 ghz with no problems except a little lag. I upped the min to 368 to reduce lag but it doesn't help much. Best thing is haven't had a single freeze. Used to get them quite often.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
why wouldnt you recommend it?

Welp, if you don't know the dangers of overclocking, maybe you shouldn't be OCing without research before hand. Basically, overclocking can kill your CPU if clocked to high. I have seen videos of guys overclocking computers till it blows up to ceiling high!

That probably isn't that probable on your phone, but it is still the threat. Just so you know what you're doing...

The usual concern on Android is just stability. Make sure you change small increments at a time to check stability.

Reaction score
Welp, if you don't know the dangers of overclocking, maybe you shouldn't be OCing without research before hand. Basically, overclocking can kill your CPU if clocked to high. I have seen videos of guys overclocking computers till it blows up to ceiling high!

That probably isn't that probable on your phone, but it is still the threat. Just so you know what you're doing...

The usual concern on Android is just stability. Make sure you change small increments at a time to check stability.

I appreciate the response. I actually am familiar w/ OC'ing and did so on my OG droid and now on my thunderbolt. I questioned feindfyre because he made a very general statement. I was curious what he was basing it on.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I seen and hearrd of people pushing the phone to 2 Ghz, but a safe number is (probably) 1.8

porsche996

Reaction score
Mine is OC'd to 1.6 ghz. I found that my phone runs too hot & gets unstable at 1.8 ghz.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I pushed my TB to 1.9 Thursday and ran a benchmark on it and it froze up and required a battery pull. Backed it down to 1.6 and it ran smooth with a few FCs over a couple hours of heavy use. Backed it down to 1.4 and it ran like a dream. So I would say for MY TB 1.4 to 1.5 is safe. Everyone's phone is a little different though. I would push mine to 1.6 or higher to show off but I would not leave it there foir daily driving.

Nate

natypes

Reaction score
At 1.4 mine is almost instant on everything. When people watch me do something on my phone they almost always comment on how fast it is. I am a heavy user and it very, very rarely lags at all.

stormrager

Reaction score
I run mine at 1.6 and it is just fine. Every once and a while it freezes and needs a battery pull but thats maybe once every couple of weeks. My battery life is good as well.

recDNA

Reaction score
I run mine at 1.6 and it is just fine. Every once and a while it freezes and needs a battery pull but thats maybe once every couple of weeks. My battery life is good as well.

I find the same but since I can't tell the difference in performance between 1.4 and 1.6 I tend to stick with 1.4. 1.9 with swap is phenomenal but it creates screen artifacts on my tbolt.