How many users have text messaging with their calling plan?

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I weaseled my into getting PDA SMS 2000 Allowance (70246) added to my account. IIRC, it was for WM2003's "push" mail functionality ; Exchange would send a text message to your phone whenever you got mail telling the mobile Outlook client to connect the data connection and do a sync. Obviously MS did away that nonsense with the DirectPush/heartbeat feature in Exchange 2003 SP2.

I'd be interested to know if it's still possible to add it to accounts or if it's not available to be added anymore.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bottomline: How many of Droid users have text messaging?
Is it worth? I am already paying $100/month for 2 lines.
Any question of worth is subjective. I find it worthwhile to have a messaging plan. YMMV.

i use google voice for texts so i dont have it on my plan.
I use GV as well but the GV app is too slow in many instances for SMS so I have messages forwarded.

Last edited:

bwhite82

Reaction score
+1 for Google Voice, nothing beats FREE! You have to make sure that the msgs are set to NOT forward to your phone in the settings online and make sure you text with the GV app and you are home free.

One downside, GV app only refreshes once every 5 minutes. Waaaayy too slow for most texters. I find that when texting someone, I have to manually hit refresh so that it can see the msgs. I know I could forward to email but that kinda defeats the purpose...

speed4tu

Reaction score
I have the unlimited text/900 minute plan. I use about 100 minutes a month (minus the favorite 5) and about 4000-6000 texts a month.

papy72

Reaction score
I've got the $5/250 message add-on. I text enough that the pay-per-text option would cost me more than $5, but the >>$20<< a month charge to bump my plan to unlimited texting is just too much.

cuskit said:
Sorry - just can't help wondering here since I'm the owner of my own business - wouldn't want to see my employees doing that. Well, they can't as my policy is no cell phones used during work hours (coffee breaks and lunches it's okay).
Just wondering: how do you get away with this? My phone is the #1 method my children have to reach me if and when it is necessary. While that is truly a rare event, I couldn't see me working for a place that outright bans cell phones.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
cuskit said:
Sorry - just can't help wondering here since I'm the owner of my own business - wouldn't want to see my employees doing that. Well, they can't as my policy is no cell phones used during work hours (coffee breaks and lunches it's okay).
Just wondering: how do you get away with this? My phone is the #1 method my children have to reach me if and when it is necessary. While that is truly a rare event, I couldn't see me working for a place that outright bans cell phones.

If I owned my own business I would expect the same from my employees. It's a respect thing in my opinion. When the employee is on my time, I expect them to work. There are breaks to accomodate any necessary phone calls, emails, and texts. Is it fair to use your employers time to check your personal messages?

Granted, if there is an emergency and someone needs to be contacted, I would assume the business would have a normal phone line that can be used by all.

All that said...I know that most people check their phones while working, but I can see where the business owner is coming from.

backlash

Reaction score
I don't. I only use Google Voice for texting. I can deal with the 5 minute refresh rate................if it's an urgent issue, I'll just call the person.