How many text messages can a droid hold??

azcards11

Reaction score
In one contact, im at 610 messages
how long before i need to start deleting them?

tktouch12

Reaction score
um, probably never
idk, but my moto q9c has texts from 9 months ago still.
i think like 4000 texts only take up like way less than a mg so dont worry if i had to guess
this is just my guess though

cuzzinz

Reaction score
i dont know for sure but i would probably say unlimited. Per thread it limits to 1000 max and i dont think there is a max for how many threads you can have....

To be honest though... im sure anyone will notice that as soon as you start to hit 500-1000 messages in your message box total ... or a few MMS in the texts that the application definitely starts to slow down. This even happens on the iPhone. I love my phone to be snappy... and even with all those texts it still is pretty fast but not immediate.

To alleviate this problem for me i set the max texts per thread to 25 and the max mms per thread to 5. Makes a huge difference. I also tend to clear ALL texts every month.

Everyone has different preferences... so you can really set it however you want but i was spoiled the day i switched from my Omnia to my droid.

I use to never clear my messages on my omnia and it would be slow to load... but since the phone lagged a little anyways i didnt really care... but the day i got my droid and click messaging and it was up faster than i could even remember who i was gunna text I knew i was in love lol.... so now i just set the limits low to keep it that way might gradually up it to 50 or 75... we will see...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any real limits. Text is tiny & doesn't take much space.

NoKz

Reaction score
My setting is at 1,200 right now. I've hit it several times and reset just to clean it up. I'm sure it can take quite a bit.

phatkat66

Reaction score
i dont know for sure but i would probably say unlimited. Per thread it limits to 1000 max and i dont think there is a max for how many threads you can have....

To be honest though... im sure anyone will notice that as soon as you start to hit 500-1000 messages in your message box total ... or a few MMS in the texts that the application definitely starts to slow down. This even happens on the iPhone. I love my phone to be snappy... and even with all those texts it still is pretty fast but not immediate.

To alleviate this problem for me i set the max texts per thread to 25 and the max mms per thread to 5. Makes a huge difference. I also tend to clear ALL texts every month.

Everyone has different preferences... so you can really set it however you want but i was spoiled the day i switched from my Omnia to my droid.

I use to never clear my messages on my omnia and it would be slow to load... but since the phone lagged a little anyways i didnt really care... but the day i got my droid and click messaging and it was up faster than i could even remember who i was gunna text I knew i was in love lol.... so now i just set the limits low to keep it that way might gradually up it to 50 or 75... we will see...

I dont think 1000 is the max, I have a thread right now at 1176 texts.... although a pain in the ass to backtrack to the first text its still there and it hasn't slowed down the app at all (btw im using handcent not the default messaging)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Dug this up from the grave. Was wondering about it and didn't find anything else about it through a quick search. I had my SMS limit set to 2,500 which I hit yesterday so I increased it to 5,000. I know as small lines of text, SMS messages can't take up much space but I was wondering if there is a limit, be it 10,000.

Also, where are text messages stored? I'm assuming since there is no visible folder or file (hidden or not) that I've come across browsing with Astro they must be stored to the phones' memory. So am I to assume that like most things, text messages just eat up space until there is nothing left or they are deleted?

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter; A. Because there's usually little reason to keep text messages other than some sort of sentimental keepsake and B. There are multiple apps that will simply export them to a file or that will let you email them to yourself.

BKS

Reaction score
Dug this up from the grave. Was wondering about it and didn't find anything else about it through a quick search. I had my SMS limit set to 2,500 which I hit yesterday so I increased it to 5,000. I know as small lines of text, SMS messages can't take up much space but I was wondering if there is a limit, be it 10,000.

Also, where are text messages stored? I'm assuming since there is no visible folder or file (hidden or not) that I've come across browsing with Astro they must be stored to the phones' memory. So am I to assume that like most things, text messages just eat up space until there is nothing left or they are deleted?

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter; A. Because there's usually little reason to keep text messages other than some sort of sentimental keepsake and B. There are multiple apps that will simply export them to a file or that will let you email them to yourself.

Really!?? Very cool, I'll have to look for those. I have been needing something like that so I can present some SMS messages for an upcoming court case. Divorce is the sucketh......

Raziel36

Reaction score
SMS Backup & Restore.... I'm going through a divorce, as well. Cheating, pain pill addicted wives are tons of fun.

jssmith76

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the limit to messages as well. I'm using the stock messaging program, and have never hit a "max" amount of messages. However, in one of my threads, it seems to be maxed out at 222 messages. Doesn't matter if I send or receive messages in that thread, it always stays at a total of 222. All it does it just delete the oldest message in that thread.

None of the messages in my other threads get affected (deleted) by this. But, none of them are up at that amount of items in a thread.

Is there a setting hidden someplace that I can modify to adjust this "max" amount of messages in a thread?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the limit to messages as well. I'm using the stock messaging program, and have never hit a "max" amount of messages. However, in one of my threads, it seems to be maxed out at 222 messages. Doesn't matter if I send or receive messages in that thread, it always stays at a total of 222. All it does it just delete the oldest message in that thread.

None of the messages in my other threads get affected (deleted) by this. But, none of them are up at that amount of items in a thread.

Is there a setting hidden someplace that I can modify to adjust this "max" amount of messages in a thread?

Lol of course there is; that's what we were just talking about. Go into Messaging, press the menu key, choose Settings>Text message limit. From there you can simply type in a number. What this does is set what appears to be a user preference limit of SMS messages PER THREAD, not total. So you might have a 2,000 SMS limit but have three conversations totaling 5,000 SMS messages. What I think most of us were wondering is just how many you really can have or if they are just unlimited and eat up internal memory. If they simply eat up internal memory until there's none left, why isn't there an option to store them to SD for convenience as well as easy backup and why isn't this addressed in the Froyo update?

Last edited:

hobby31

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're only limited to what internal memory space you have left. I have a lot of apps installed and have gotten close to filling internal memory a few times. I've had text message that would not come through due to "message could not be retrieved due to internal memory being full" or something like that. I've had to delete a few apps and make space for the message to come through. That's happened to me a couple times.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
One of my old dumb phones in the past had the ability to store text messages to the SD card for "unlimited" storage. Why the heck isn't this an option on the Droid? Filling up internal memory with mms and sms seems retarded in my opinion. A week of mms and sms is like 15+mb for me.

GryphonD

Reaction score
You could always install Market App "SMS Box" which backs up all sms to you gmail and nolonger have to worry or wonder...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Fox100

Reaction score
i had over 7000 texts then they all got deleted dont know y