How many replacement phones is too many?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by EatChex89, Jan 6, 2011.

1. EatChex89

EatChex89 New Member

So I bought the Motorola Droid v1 the weekend it came out and replaced it a few months later due to the headphone jack becoming loose from the circuit board and any slight movement of the headphone cable would either interrupt the music with scratchy sounds or pause it or start the media player (I usually listen to Pandora or Rhapsody).

A few months later (late October) I replace the phone again due to the same problem. By this time, Verizon no longer has any new Droids and I am stuck with one of their "re-certified" pieces of crap. Anyway, this new unit doesn't last long and I replaced it again last week and asked for it to be shipped to my house. I get the new one Monday, back up and replace it that night. I barely use it at all on Tuesday, go to the gym Wednesday and then when I went to turn off my music at the end of my workout I find that the LCD screen won't show anything. The touch screen still works and the bottom buttons light up, but I can't see anything.

So I replace it again. This time I don't mind receiving the in-store model since I already had everything backed up.

Now with this new model, the built-in keyboard's letter "A" is broken which I pointed out to the tech in the store and she was like "Oh you just have to press it really hard." Ok? I don't think I should have to press it hard, it should work like the rest of the buttons do. But that's the least of my problems since I rarely use the keyboard.

The main problem is that I barely have used the phone and already the headphone jack is messing up. Should I stick it out for a few more days or a month or two before getting a new phone? And when I go back (which will happen), should I demand a new model?

Just curious as to what everyone would do, and even if Verizon would upgrade me to a new model. Also, my upgrade eligibility isn't up until July.

Recap:
    1) Original Droid
    2) Replacement because of headphone jack
    3) Replacement because of headphone jack
    4) Replaced due to LCD screen
    5) Currently using. Headphone jack is already going, keyboard letter "a" is broken
  2. stabl4life82

stabl4life82 New Member

im on my 4th but i only get a new one to renew my 1 year warranty on it :) but yes, i would ask them for the x or the d2d
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You are one of the few people that I have seen that legitimately had a complaint and has gone through 5 phone. Most people it's user error.

I think 5 is enough, if you are still on your warranty tell them you're tired of being frustrated with bad phones. Ask if they will upgrade you. But don't do any of this at the Verizon store. Do it by phone and tell them about that sales person who said you needed to press hard on the A. That is a lot of bull.

If the first person says no, then try another one or escalate it to a Supervisor.
  4. stabl4life82

stabl4life82 New Member

yeah it always works for me whenever i used to tell them i would cancel my account if they didnt do anything bout my problem...they always made me satisfied..that waas with verizon and tmobile
  5. EatChex89

EatChex89 New Member

I'm not on Warranty anymore, it expired in November. However, I replaced the phone twice within my warranty period. I have since replace the phone two more times since 3 months of being without of warranty. I was under the impression that the re-certified models got 90 days of warranty.
  6. s_brethauer04

s_brethauer04 New Member

They will get you something new after 5 for sure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  7. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Its pretty hard to actually get a new phone as a replacement. And unfortunately even if they switch you to a different replacement model, it doesn't help much - other CLNR models are just as bad as the Droid 1. I got a refurb Incredible after 4 bad Droids. Looked promising for two months until the touch screen broke, and then I went through 3 more in a short time frame before talking to a supervisor for about an hour and getting offered a Droid X. The X is working well for now, but I thought the same thing when I had my first Incredible...
  8. dtnosk

dtnosk New Member

i just recieved my 4th droid1, same problem I use it as a mp3 player all day at work, then at the gym at night. phone jack works fine at first then went bad on all of them. its funny because they tell me each time, they never heard of this issue
  9. rustymcbain

rustymcbain New Member

Confirm the do have 90 days. Make the call they will upgrade you probably with a droid 2 refurb. Got one loved it sold it for $400. Moved to the X. Imo the best phone period to date.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  10. EatChex89

EatChex89 New Member

Yeah, I also use the headphone jack all the time. I use it in my car (that's what I use for music), at the gym, at work, and at school. So I'm constantly unplugging and plugging headphones/headphone jacks into it.

When I took it in the first time, the girl was like "Oh yeah, someone just came in with this earlier." And every time after, they have never checked it, they just give me a new one.

Honestly, I love the Droid 1, I love the fact that the OS has not been customized. The only reason I'd want to get a new model is so that I don't have to worry about replacing it again, but from what you said, I am thinking I will not have better luck with another model.
  11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

I'd give Verizon a call and kindly ask for a new model at least.
  12. Nerotoxen

Nerotoxen New Member

Wow I thought it was my headphones making that noise! I guess I should check in with verizon? They are right across the street from where I work... is it when the plug is moved even slighly? It hurts my ears, but I haven't tried any other head phones. I'm sorry about ur luck but if it makes u feel better my phones a reconditioned one as well... my first had the power button go out :(

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  13. EatChex89

EatChex89 New Member

No, that is not your heapdhones. If you try another pair you'll find the same thing happening. After a bit of research, I found that the Droid 1 was actually made so that the headphone jack was never properly connected to the circuit board and easily came loose which leads to the scratchy sounds whenever you touch the headphone jack.

I would replace it, it only gets worse until the point when you literally can't use it at all unless you keep the phone 100% still.
  14. Liderc

Liderc New Member

I replaced my droid 1 4 times as well, but it was sensor problems and net problems. I'm just holding out for the bionic now to upgrade, get rid of this 1 year old refurb.
  15. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I'm not lying blame, but simply asking a question.

Are you sure it's not something you're doing that's causing all these headset jacks to come off the main board? I used to work as a technician for Motorola, and according to Motorola, a "loose headset jack" is not something that is covered under warranty because it's caused by the user. Basically, it doesn't just happen from ordinary use.

Once again, I'm not lying the blame on anyone, but simply asking a question.
  16. ypsichick

ypsichick New Member

Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
    I was on my 3rd Droid 1 and ordered a 4th because everything the CSR's did to fix it did not work. I received calls but they never rang or went straight to voicemail, some didn't even come through. When the "Certified" replacement came it was broken! At this point I was very upset, & finally got a supervisor on the phone. After explaining that I had purchased a "brand new device @ top price" & had been given 3 refurbished broken. I asked this excellent supervisor the exact same question, with no real answer, but I did get advice on how to fix my problem go into the Verizon store and have them install the upgraded software from their system, low and behold it worked! But the funny thing is, this #3 phone feels like my 1st brand new one...I love it! (Oh & if the update did not work they would work with me to replace it with a New phone, as I also told them my dissappointment with the release of 4 new Droids right after I bought mine.)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  17. EatChex89

EatChex89 New Member

I don't see how it could be something I'm doing. I simply plug my headphones in and pull them out. I don't try to loosen the jack or anything. This problem isn't isolated to me, you can google it and find other users who have the same problem with their headphone jack.

I actually found an article (can't find it at the moment...) that tore apart the Motorola Droid and found that the jack was actually just resting on top of the circuit board instead of being soldered to it (like the iPhone/iPod, etc). I have and do own other mp3 players including the iPod and Sansa, and I never had that problem.

It gets so bad that, like I believe I had mentioned, the slightest movement to the jack (like if the device is in my pocket and it moves around inside the pocket) will cause the music to either scratch, start the media player, or pause whatever media is playing (it thinks the jack got pulled out).

It gets annoying.
Search tags for this page
after how many phone replacements do you get a different pho
bad replacement phone

how many replacement phones can you get

how many replacement phones for verizon
how many replacement phones verizon
how many replacements until you get an upgrade
how many times can i get a replacement phone
how many times can i replace my phone verizon
how many times can you get a replacement phone
how many times can you use asurion verizon