How many people here use MOTOCAST?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by listerdl, Nov 29, 2011.

1. listerdl

listerdl New Member

I am new to driods and andriods and am getting my head around how to import and export media...(all tips and advice VERY appreciated!)

My main question though, how many people here use the MOTOCAST for media transfers etc?

Thanks
  2. mastacox

mastacox New Member

I love Motocast. You just download the server software on your computer, and during setup select what folders you want to share. I'm able to stream DVD-quality videos over 3G, and 1080p HD movies over Wireless or 4g. I have both my wife and my Razrs attached to my home computer, it's a nice way to share music, movies, documents, whatever you may have on your computer that you'd like to have remote access to.

I've also discovered Google Music which is a nice way to have cloud access to your music collection (better than carrying 10 or 15GB of music on your SD card); Motocast seems the best way I've seen thus far for large videos though.
  3. Deron

Deron New Member

Motocast is absolutely useless to me. I don't keep my laptop turned on all the time. Since Motocast is not a true cloud service, I don't see the point. Instead I bought a 32 gb Micro SD card to store most of my music, or I'll use Google Music cloud. I also use Dropbox and Mozy apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. satarecah

satarecah New Member

eeehh i have it installed and everything but as far as syncing music goes i just use windows media player cause im familiar with it LOL as far as pics go i also have a windows program for syncing pics they work just fine so i have no intentions of changing unless i can no longer use them, but it seems the razr is very user friendly sync wise because you can use that itunes and mediaplayer which is weird im so use to drag and drop with the s1&s2 line lol
  5. mastacox

mastacox New Member

Yes, you have to have your computer on for you to access your files on it. Uploading whatever files you're interested in to a cloud server is another story, but that's not really an option for videos (especailly when you're talking hundreds of gigs). Overall for what Motocast is meant to do I think it does a great job of it; it's easy to set up, supports streaming of content rather than having to download the whole thing, and you can link multiple phones to the same server. Win-win for anyone who's computer is on 24-7, it basially turns your computer into the cloud server.

For what it's worth, Motocast also supports uploads so you can upload files from your phone to your computer. I find this useful for keeping your phone's pictures backed up on your computer automatically for example. After losing my OG Droid and upgrading to the RAZR, I try to keep EVERYTHING either cloud-based or at least auto-backed-up...
  6. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

I use it alot. When away from my office I love the ability to get files off my computer and onto my phone. I don't use it much for videos or music files.
  7. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I was actually going to take an old computer I have and use a bit of linux software that allows you to basically run your own cloud service. I don't have to do this now with motocast. I moved my music library to the old computer and just installed motocast on it and I'm able to stream that stuff to my phone, to my laptop at work, to..wherever!
  8. tc1

tc1 Member

I use it more than I thought I would.

Extremely useful when you have forgotten a file at home.

9. Thach

Thach New Member

I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. The fact the I can upload pics from my phone to computer through this is awesome. I think its one of the better apps that came pre-installed.

10. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

I haven't tried streaming movies yet but that's what I'm most interested in. What kind of file does the video need to be for it to stream onto ur phone? If I wanna watch a dvd I assume I have to rip it onto the computer as .avi or mp4 or something like that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. tc1

tc1 Member

A DVD would have to be ripped, but apparently any video file gets converted on the fly.

12. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

Sweet. Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  13. jtennis

jtennis New Member

how do you upload your photos from your phone to your computer through motocast?
  14. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

i use motocast and love it but had to remove the music an video folders due to auto syncing without the option to set it to manual until moto can put in an option to set it to manual sync. it ate up my battery and huge amounts of data. if you do not have unlimited data or a wifi connection this could be an issue for you when you only have 2 / 4 gig worth of data. thank god i have unlimited and a wifi connection.
  15. mastacox

mastacox New Member

Auto-syncing updates the file and directory lists, but doesn't copy all of the files over. I know this because the folders I have linked have way too much to copy over, literally hundreds of gigs. This is different though if you choose to download the contents manually.

16. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

agreed but if you do not watch it it will eat up 300+ meg worth of data in short order. i as well have tons of gig worth of data on my pc and after investigating why my phone downloaded tons of data when the phone was idle was because of the music app that was sync'd with motocast. i do not like apps downloading tons of data withou me knowing. this also ate up the battery.
  17. mastacox

mastacox New Member

As for uploading pictures, there are a couple of options. Motocast doesn't have an option for auto-syncing folders between the phones and server as far as I know, but if you go into the gallery app there are a couple of options for auto-uploading pictures (for example Picasa or Google+).

18. CyKeO

CyKeO New Member

how were you going to go about doing this because i have no access to any windows or MAC OS yet i do have Ubuntu 10.04. hell if I had the 50 bucks to shell out for a 32gb class 10 card I definitely would. I wouldn't have to worry about motocast or other motocast outlets...don't necessarily need to be able to send things from phone to computer tho, just looking to stream dvd quality videos and music.

P.S. sorry if I needed to make another thread for this pm me and I'll remove and create new thread...
  19. mcsoul

mcsoul New Member

Anything that pushes me towards my 4gb/month limit is off the table. I already have a 32gb card to keep media files, and I'm going to pick up a class 10 16gb or 32gb for making videos. I do need to know the number of GB per 1/2 hour of 1080p video recorded by the RAZR though.
  20. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

I use it to stream my PC's library and my pics are transferred instant.

----posted maxx'ed out----
Search tags for this page
better than motocast
do i have to install motocast
does motocast store my files on their server?
does the moto cast my libray use data on android
how to do manual upload with motocast
how to put motocast on any phone
motocast auto upload music?
motocast dropbox
motocast linux

motocast remote access

motocast useful?
motocast vs icloud
sending files to computer with motocast wireless
should i use motocast droid razr
stream motocast playlist format