How many people here use MOTOCAST?

listerdl

Reaction score
I am new to driods and andriods and am getting my head around how to import and export media...(all tips and advice VERY appreciated!)

My main question though, how many people here use the MOTOCAST for media transfers etc?

Thanks

mastacox

Reaction score
I love Motocast. You just download the server software on your computer, and during setup select what folders you want to share. I'm able to stream DVD-quality videos over 3G, and 1080p HD movies over Wireless or 4g. I have both my wife and my Razrs attached to my home computer, it's a nice way to share music, movies, documents, whatever you may have on your computer that you'd like to have remote access to.

I've also discovered Google Music which is a nice way to have cloud access to your music collection (better than carrying 10 or 15GB of music on your SD card); Motocast seems the best way I've seen thus far for large videos though.

Deron

Reaction score
Motocast is absolutely useless to me. I don't keep my laptop turned on all the time. Since Motocast is not a true cloud service, I don't see the point. Instead I bought a 32 gb Micro SD card to store most of my music, or I'll use Google Music cloud. I also use Dropbox and Mozy apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

satarecah

Reaction score
eeehh i have it installed and everything but as far as syncing music goes i just use windows media player cause im familiar with it LOL as far as pics go i also have a windows program for syncing pics they work just fine so i have no intentions of changing unless i can no longer use them, but it seems the razr is very user friendly sync wise because you can use that itunes and mediaplayer which is weird im so use to drag and drop with the s1&s2 line lol

mastacox

Reaction score
Yes, you have to have your computer on for you to access your files on it. Uploading whatever files you're interested in to a cloud server is another story, but that's not really an option for videos (especailly when you're talking hundreds of gigs). Overall for what Motocast is meant to do I think it does a great job of it; it's easy to set up, supports streaming of content rather than having to download the whole thing, and you can link multiple phones to the same server. Win-win for anyone who's computer is on 24-7, it basially turns your computer into the cloud server.

For what it's worth, Motocast also supports uploads so you can upload files from your phone to your computer. I find this useful for keeping your phone's pictures backed up on your computer automatically for example. After losing my OG Droid and upgrading to the RAZR, I try to keep EVERYTHING either cloud-based or at least auto-backed-up...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I am new to driods and andriods and am getting my head around how to import and export media...(all tips and advice VERY appreciated!)

My main question though, how many people here use the MOTOCAST for media transfers etc?

Thanks
I use it alot. When away from my office I love the ability to get files off my computer and onto my phone. I don't use it much for videos or music files.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I was actually going to take an old computer I have and use a bit of linux software that allows you to basically run your own cloud service. I don't have to do this now with motocast. I moved my music library to the old computer and just installed motocast on it and I'm able to stream that stuff to my phone, to my laptop at work, to..wherever!

tc1

Reaction score
I use it more than I thought I would.

Extremely useful when you have forgotten a file at home.

Thach

Reaction score
I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. The fact the I can upload pics from my phone to computer through this is awesome. I think its one of the better apps that came pre-installed.

B

bens42608

I love Motocast. You just download the server software on your computer, and during setup select what folders you want to share. I'm able to stream DVD-quality videos over 3G, and 1080p HD movies over Wireless or 4g. I have both my wife and my Razrs attached to my home computer, it's a nice way to share music, movies, documents, whatever you may have on your computer that you'd like to have remote access to.

I've also discovered Google Music which is a nice way to have cloud access to your music collection (better than carrying 10 or 15GB of music on your SD card); Motocast seems the best way I've seen thus far for large videos though.

I haven't tried streaming movies yet but that's what I'm most interested in. What kind of file does the video need to be for it to stream onto ur phone? If I wanna watch a dvd I assume I have to rip it onto the computer as .avi or mp4 or something like that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tc1

Reaction score
I haven't tried streaming movies yet but that's what I'm most interested in. What kind of file does the video need to be for it to stream onto ur phone? If I wanna watch a dvd I assume I have to rip it onto the computer as .avi or mp4 or something like that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

A DVD would have to be ripped, but apparently any video file gets converted on the fly.

jtennis

Reaction score
how do you upload your photos from your phone to your computer through motocast?

jrmdroid

Reaction score
i use motocast and love it but had to remove the music an video folders due to auto syncing without the option to set it to manual until moto can put in an option to set it to manual sync. it ate up my battery and huge amounts of data. if you do not have unlimited data or a wifi connection this could be an issue for you when you only have 2 / 4 gig worth of data. thank god i have unlimited and a wifi connection.

mastacox

Reaction score
Auto-syncing updates the file and directory lists, but doesn't copy all of the files over. I know this because the folders I have linked have way too much to copy over, literally hundreds of gigs. This is different though if you choose to download the contents manually.