How many have insurance on your Bionic?

shadowsjc

Reaction score
I never had phone insurance. Then one day my DX got stolen and I was forced to use an old Samsung phone until the Bionic got released.

So, yes to me it's worth it to have insurance

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I had it until last week when my Bionic broke and they wanted $100 for a refurbed phone that is free brand new, so I got out of that and used my new 2 year to just get a free new bionic.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had insurance on every cell phone I've owned, including the dumb ones. Never needed it.

That being said, if I wasn't in the habit of getting insurance for cell phones I would with a smart phone.

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Since you can drop the insurance at anytime, and if you want to get insurance, I would say just keep it until the phones price goes below $100, otherwise you're just throwing money away knowing you will have to pay $100 if you ever use it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since you can drop the insurance at anytime, and if you want to get insurance, I would say just keep it until the phones price goes below $100, otherwise you're just throwing money away knowing you will have to pay $100 if you ever use it.

On the other hand, if you're not even eligible for any type of upgrade for another year (as is my case), then it pays to have insurance. No way is VZW going to give ME a free Bionic with my upgrade date being over a year off, they would charge me the $499 retail price. You should be careful to point out that your way of thinking ONLY applies to people with an available upgrade.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
On the other hand, if you're not even eligible for any type of upgrade for another year (as is my case), then it pays to have insurance. No way is VZW going to give ME a free Bionic with my upgrade date being over a year off, they would charge me the $499 retail price. You should be careful to point out that your way of thinking ONLY applies to people with an available upgrade.

This is true, but, what most people don't know is that if you call Verizon, and still have a year or so left before an upgrade is available, and the phone is at a lower price then the original, they will let you upgrade providing that you extend you're contract for 2 more years.

But like you said, if people don't plan on upgrading or want to wait, nothing wrong with it.

wseyller

Reaction score
Depends on the person. My sister for example loses a phone or submerges it in water about every three months. She needs insurance. For me it is a waste of money. I personally take care of my stuff. The way I look at it is if I have to buy a phone outright and it cost me $500 then I still didn't lose. I would have paid way more than $500 overtime in insurance fees, protection plans, extended warranties, etc for various things over the years.

matjmonk

Reaction score
Didn't have the insurance on the DX, but I do have it on the Bionic since the DX fell into the pond when I was doing some weekly maintenance and even though I was able to resurrect it, the water sensors were tripped so if anything would have gone wrong after that, I would have been SOL. Now the insurance does cover me just in case that happens again!

welsalex

Reaction score
Its like what 7 bucks a month now or something? 84 a year for insurance. Life happens, **** happens, its nice to have that peace of mind, a fall back plan, for when life throws that curveball and your phone gets lost, stolen, or damaged. I mean if your finacially able to qualify for a contract with verizon and able to pay the bill each month then that extra 84 bucks a year isnt much compared to the 1200 a year thats spent for a single line plan with a smartphone. This isnt some extended warrenty from bestbuy, its anything-goes replacement plan. I dont see why its a bad idea to get insurance.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is true, but, what most people don't know is that if you call Verizon, and still have a year or so left before an upgrade is available, and the phone is at a lower price then the original, they will let you upgrade providing that you extend you're contract for 2 more years.

But like you said, if people don't plan on upgrading or want to wait, nothing wrong with it.

It's also hit or miss. I've had this experience before, and they did NOTHING to accomodate me. I eneded up buying a brand new phone at full retail to replace a device that SHOULD have been under warranty. They tried to blame me, and more or less told me to go to hell when I suggested that it might not have been MY fault that the device broke.

For the record, it was a Samsung Flipshot. And what I suspect happened was the flex cable connecting the screen to the phone broke due to the twist design of the screen hinge (it was the phone that you could flip the screen 180 degrees on to turn it into a digital camera).

Ever since that day, i've figured that owning a VZW device without insurance is akin to gambling.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I got insurance for my first smartphone (the OG Droid), but not since. I keep my previous phone as my insurance (assuming it's still usable). So if something happens to my current phone I just have my previous phone activated, and use it until I'm eligible for a new upgrade.

matjmonk

Reaction score
Its like what 7 bucks a month now or something? 84 a year for insurance. Life happens, **** happens, its nice to have that peace of mind, a fall back plan, for when life throws that curveball and your phone gets lost, stolen, or damaged. I mean if your finacially able to qualify for a contract with verizon and able to pay the bill each month then that extra 84 bucks a year isnt much compared to the 1200 a year thats spent for a single line plan with a smartphone. This isnt some extended warrenty from bestbuy, its anything-goes replacement plan. I dont see why its a bad idea to get insurance.

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

That would be what I'm thinking, even if you keep the phone for 4 years paying 6.95/month you still haven't hit the full purchase price of a new phone.

B

bens42608

I never get insurance. I don't even use a case or a screen protector. I like to live life on the edge lol. But seriously these things can take a lot of abuse and I'm pretty careful. The only problem I ever had was a sticky keyboard on my OG Droid and that was covered by the warranty.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums