How long will you keep your MAXX?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whenever I get a new phone I try to ask myself if I'll be happy with it for the length of the two year contract. Held onto the original Droid for about 30 months because I didn't want to move to a 4G phone until I could manage at least the same battery life as my old phone had with 3G. The RM is the first 4G phone to offer that and the recent BOGO promotion from Verizon convinced me to upgrade both my wife's and my Droid to the RM. Assuming the RM continues to operate well, I really can't imagine why I'd upgrade for at least two years.

I'm looking forward to ICS for the RM but frankly if it never arrived I'd still be happy to use the RM as it stands. I simply don't see any critical functionality ICS offers compared to the current 2.3.6 Android OS implementation. And my self-esteem is not linked to the OS my phone is running.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Gonna keep mine FOREVER!

Just picked up our Maxx's yesterday. Lovin' them, of course!

But, having said that, it took most of the day to get them set up the way we wanted. Finding and downloading all the free apps we wanted to install, finding where our paid apps were, moving stuff between pages to look right, getting used to new stuff (which is, after all, why we GOT them in the first place!), getting rid of crap we didn't want but got with the phone, etc, etc, etc. Whew. :icon_eek:

Also, I got an Otter Box for mine, and I could not figure out how to even get it open! No instructions! So off to YouTube, where I found step by step instructions. And guess what. The instructions were INSIDE the Otter Box! C'mon...... So once I got the box open, I was able to read the instructions. Great. And the Verizon lady who 'set us up', never even suggested that she help with that one. She probably didn't KNOW what to do. :frown:

We've always had knowledgeable people help us at the local Verizon store, but not this time.

But now everything is up and running and we're crazy about the new Razr Maxx.

And, I'm keeping mine forever! Ha! :icon_ lala:

MrTommy

Reaction score
I simply don't see any critical functionality ICS offers compared to the current 2.3.6 Android OS implementation. And my self-esteem is not linked to the OS my phone is running.

I like your thinking, jsh1120. The only reason we really upgraded was for the faster processor and some 4G access in those 'times of need'. Our original Moto Droid I's were doing just fine, though a bit slow by today's standards. Wow!

Now we have backup hand held computers that can use WiFi - and play music. :biggrin:

Oh, and I'm older now and the bigger screen is good for my aging eyes..... Sad, but true.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I think the Maxx will have the best endurance from a battery standpoint for quite some time. The new phone that will be coming out with quad processors will start to effect this endurance even if they have the same battery. What this means for me is most likely will be keeping my Maxx until either a newer OS is necessary for my useage or a faster CPU come available with a better battery!

Last edited:

monkey_man

Reaction score
Apple stores are always busy and their repair department never slowed down as some of it is due to people repairing the phone for a battery replacement. Unlike OG Droid and Bionic, this phone is just like what I hate about Iphones... Irreplaceable battery. This phone might not last as long as the previous phone I had before in its battery category. Damn smart people at Motorola! :mad: Money Money Money! OTH, starting the phone with high capacity batttery is definitely a plus plus and security wise is also a plus plus.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like your thinking, jsh1120. The only reason we really upgraded was for the faster processor and some 4G access in those 'times of need'. Our original Moto Droid I's were doing just fine, though a bit slow by today's standards. Wow!

Now we have backup hand held computers that can use WiFi - and play music. :biggrin:

Oh, and I'm older now and the bigger screen is good for my aging eyes..... Sad, but true.

Yeah, I understand some people age. Fortunately, I don't have that problem but my portrait that I keep in the closet is looking pretty haggard. As far as my beloved old droid is concerned, I have it sitting here on my desk in its stand. Can't yet bear to get rid of it and it still does a whole variety of tasks when connected to my home network. But it sure is clunky compared to the new kid on the block.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am due for an upgrade, my qusdtion is this, will I be able to sell the Razr Maxx after the 181 day "must be activated with Verizon plan". and buy a new phone, not saying that I will get rid of the Max, but if something better comes up in the horizon, is that possible. Two main reasons for me upgrading at this moment would be 4G LTE and a bigger screen, my Incredible has served me well for two years, time for a new toy:)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

monkey_man

Reaction score
I can't see why you can't sell the phone that you bought and past it's mandatory activation by Verizon. All depend on your upgrade lines too. If you only have one upgrade and you get the Maxx, then you have to pay full retail price when newer phones arrived to Verizon. Since its past Maxx's release date, I don't think you can sell it beyond its retail price. In the end, you could end up pay more if you see and likes that new phone.