How long will the Droid be one of the "it" phones?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
To me, the Droid looks a lot better than the N1 or iPhone. I haven't been hampered by the smaller amount of RAM - and I have entirely too many apps installed.

Since there's better hardware being released all the time, though, I want with a one-year contract. For me, it was only $30 more.

I believe you're thinking of ROM, which is amount of internal memory the phone has to download apps. RAM is completely different.

In what way?

The fastest processor in any smartphone on the market, AMOLED screen, and twice the RAM. Yes, I know about the Droid's GPU, but you can't argue that it has half as much RAM as the Nexus. .
I'm just curious why you thought it had better hardware.I wasn't going to go on the attack : )

Sorry if that came off defensive CK.

Anomander

Reaction score
The Nexus has better hardware then the Droid.
In what way?

The fastest processor in any smartphone on the market, AMOLED screen, and twice the RAM. Yes, I know about the Droid's GPU, but you can't argue that it has half as much RAM as the Nexus. I love my Droid, but I am able to accept that the Nexus has superior hardware. I still prefer my Droid based on personal preferences.
The AMOLED is nice, but some articles are saying that the Droid still has the best screen. The N1 does blacks the best, but it doesn't handle the rest of the colors like it should.
Nexus One, iPhone and Droid: Which Is Brightest? - Reviews by PC Magazine
Interesting article on the testing.

I think Smart Phones are now at the age where will can expect and see something new and exciting every few months if not more (Ok, it may not be that often, but still faster then what it has been in the past). This I think may be a bad thing since it can oversaturate the market and drive prices up for the phones, much like top end PC's. I love my gadgets and all, but my pockets are not limitless, so I am going to be keeping my Droid until my next 2 comes up :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your right, but now it seems 2 years is a bit much to be locked into a contract on a phone, i think we will be seeing 6 months or 1 year contracts, the ability to just buy your phone with no provider contract like the nexus one seems great now

Agreed, Sprint now advertises 1-yr contracts as standard (and I know AT&T and VZW have 1-yr pricing on phones, but Sprint is pricing their 1-yr prices on par with AT&T & VZW 2-yr prices). To bad their network is not usable were I live. And this is the reason NO other (major) country in the world has subsidized phones and contracts like the US... and subsequently why we are SO FAR behind in both phones and network technology of those countries.

I've never had a phone (even a dumb-phone) last two years... most barely make it the 18 months AT&T required for 'early renewal.'

cb3FSU

Reaction score
What is it that another phone is capable of that the Droid is not? When there is some sort of significant breakthrough in another phone's capabilities that makes the Droid inferior, then maybe we should be worrying about what the next best thing is. At this point there is nothing that limits the Droid from anything that is out there.

I used an LG Voyager for almost 2 years while the iPhone was out, and if I was willing to leave Verizon I would have left then. Now we finally have an amazing device on the best network and people are worried about what the next thing to come out will be.

Why not enjoy this great device we have? Honestly, until the 4G network becomes mainstream there really isn't going to be a reason to move on to something else, IMO. The N1 is not 4G capable so its going to be a throw away in 2 years phone as well. By the time our contracts for the Droid are up there might be something that puts our Droid to shame available.

From what Ive seen Verizon is more likely to bring out some lesser phones for people are arent quite needing a Droid and until the N1 and perhaps 4G iPhone come out the Droid will be Verizon's flagship model.

I look at this like I do a computer. Im typing on a Gateway NV52. It cost less than $500 and does everything I want it to. There are hundreds of better computers out there but this one fits my needs perfectly. I don't feel the need to run out and buy something new just because something is available.

I haven't been bored for one second since I got my Droid. The internet isnt going to get slower. Its always going to play music and videos. Soon it will stream Hulu and possibly netflix. You mean to tell me for 2 years you cant get by with all of that stuff plus the amazing apps?

What do you think something new is going to do that the Droid won't?

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Several years ago I spent $2700 on a 57" rear projection tv. At the time it was one of the best your could get at a reasonable price. A 50" plasma then was upwards of $10,000. Last year I bought a 50" plasma for $899 and the picture is about 10,000x better than that rear projection unit which I sold recently for $400.

The moral of the story is there is always something better coming along, thats the nature of the beast. I dont worry about the next best thing, I try to be happy with what I have until sufficient time that I feel Im ready to spend the $ on something better.

I do agree with a poster earlier, I think 2yrs is way too long to realistically expect people to stay with 1 device, especially considering how much we use these phones on a daily basis and how fast the technology is changing.