1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How long will the Droid be one of the "it" phones?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by gevmack23, Jan 18, 2010.

1. gevmack23

gevmack23 New Member

It seems everyday i hear news of a new phone coming out, that show better hardware, and more innovative. We all know apple is working on a iphone to blow the droid away. This smartphone war is now crazy. What will we see next, a phone with a real hd screen, one that allows video calls, one on a 4g or wimax network.
    Check this out:

Windows Mobile 7 megarumor: LG Apollo and HTC Obsession running flagship '720p' specs, Zune Phone Experience -- Engadget

Hands On With The Saygus VPhone - Reviews by PC Magazine
  2. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Well I personally don't care, cause thats how life and competition works. I just know that my Droid is awesome and does a lot more than needs to be done, and is just amazing and I'm settled. Who cares about what is coming out now and later.
    Plus the Droid is always updating anyways so you never know..
  3. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Yeah....... we'll see about that ;p
  4. dieselpowered

dieselpowered New Member

Forget working on the phone...work on the network and customer service.
  5. Diordna

Diordna New Member

That wouldn't hurt, even though we have a good network and service as far as I know already.
    But saying an iPhone that will "blow the droid away"....... no
  6. gevmack23

gevmack23 New Member

I like my droid alot, I show it off to my friends, it "does" alot... its just amazing how cell phone technology is growing
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The next iPhone will be more advanced then the Droid. The Nexus has better hardware then the Droid. It's impossible to have the very best for long, so just enjoy your phone.
  8. Nedaroth

Nedaroth New Member

I feel its all about the phone that works for you, its a shame that any new smart phone that comes along now is tagged by the media " IS THIS THE NEW IPHONE KILLER. " And i see no end in site.

Droid is not trying to be an iphone.
  9. gevmack23

gevmack23 New Member

Your right, but now it seems 2 years is a bit much to be locked into a contract on a phone, i think we will be seeing 6 months or 1 year contracts, the ability to just buy your phone with no provider contract like the nexus one seems great now
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

In what way?
  11. liquidzoo

liquidzoo New Member

The Nexus has a faster processor than the Droid, true; but the Droid has a separate GPU that the Nexus doesn't have. The screen has been proven better in tests (could be biased, don't know). We have a hardware keyboard (trivial for some, I use it a lot).

"Better" is subjective. Personally, I think that my Droid is better than anything out there, and can continue to be with regular software updates.
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The fastest processor in any smartphone on the market, AMOLED screen, and twice the RAM. Yes, I know about the Droid's GPU, but you can't argue that it has half as much RAM as the Nexus. I love my Droid, but I am able to accept that the Nexus has superior hardware. I still prefer my Droid based on personal preferences.
  13. zakany

zakany New Member

To me, the Droid looks a lot better than the N1 or iPhone. I haven't been hampered by the smaller amount of RAM - and I have entirely too many apps installed.

Since there's better hardware being released all the time, though, I want with a one-year contract. For me, it was only $30 more.
  14. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

I'm just curious why you thought it had better hardware.I wasn't going to go on the attack : )
  15. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Let's all enjoy the Droid we have. Wait til we've maxed out the Droids capabilities before worrying about what's next. :)
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I believe you're thinking of ROM, which is amount of internal memory the phone has to download apps. RAM is completely different.

Sorry if that came off defensive CK.
  17. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

X2.... If we worry about this we will drive ourselves crazy!
  18. Anomander

Anomander New Member

The AMOLED is nice, but some articles are saying that the Droid still has the best screen. The N1 does blacks the best, but it doesn't handle the rest of the colors like it should.
    Nexus One, iPhone and Droid: Which Is Brightest? - Reviews by PC Magazine
    Interesting article on the testing.

I think Smart Phones are now at the age where will can expect and see something new and exciting every few months if not more (Ok, it may not be that often, but still faster then what it has been in the past). This I think may be a bad thing since it can oversaturate the market and drive prices up for the phones, much like top end PC's. I love my gadgets and all, but my pockets are not limitless, so I am going to be keeping my Droid until my next 2 comes up :)
  19. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

20. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Agreed, Sprint now advertises 1-yr contracts as standard (and I know AT&T and VZW have 1-yr pricing on phones, but Sprint is pricing their 1-yr prices on par with AT&T & VZW 2-yr prices). To bad their network is not usable were I live. And this is the reason NO other (major) country in the world has subsidized phones and contracts like the US... and subsequently why we are SO FAR behind in both phones and network technology of those countries.

I've never had a phone (even a dumb-phone) last two years... most barely make it the 18 months AT&T required for 'early renewal.'