How long will it take to root the new GB OTA update?

jst4fun

Reaction score
I like having wireless tether so much, I am not sure if I want to install the new GB update until someone makes it easy to root it again like Z4root or many other good rooting apps.

Desicrator

Reaction score
I would be suprised if Gingerbreak didn't work right away. but otherwise you could just wait until TBH get a Full update, that is personally what I am going to do to be perfectly safe, just cause there is not telling what the might throw in that OTA.

-oh, and when you get tether don't abuse it please :)

meagerfindings

Reaction score
-oh, and when you get tether don't abuse it please :)

Desicrator, I really appreciated your post above, it was definitely hopeful! I was wondering what you mean by asking jst4fun not to abuse the tethering. I rooted my DX mainly for this purpose of tethering and was wondering your thoughts behind your statement. Thanks!

Spartans_08

Reaction score
I like having wireless tether so much, I am not sure if I want to install the new GB update until someone makes it easy to root it again like Z4root or many other good rooting apps.

Even if you root the new GB wireless tethering no longer works with the GB builds....whenever you try to use it the browsers pops up asking you to pay the monthly fee...only tethering that has worked for me is the USB tethering...it sucks but that's how it is now...oh and I have tried this on every leak so garuntee it will be like this on the final version

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Desicrator

Reaction score
Desicrator, I really appreciated your post above, it was definitely hopeful! I was wondering what you mean by asking jst4fun not to abuse the tethering. I rooted my DX mainly for this purpose of tethering and was wondering your thoughts behind your statement. Thanks!

Because the abuse is what cause the locking bootloader issues.

Not abuse (IMO)
----------------
-Supplementing home internet (I.E. it goes down)
-If on vacation to check laptop cause it beats staring at a 4" screen

Abuse (IMO)
----------------
-Torrenting over there 3G
-Using it as a complete replacement for home Internet
-Playing XBlive/PSN over it and the such

Honestly tethering, and what people do with it would not bother me that much If it wasn't the major reason for Verizon to start making their phones harder to customize.
Again that is only my opinion, and yes I have tethered too. Because my WiFi was acting very flaky, however I used it to browse the internet, and to do some school work.

I have also heard the argument that it is "our" unlimited internet, and "Verizon's network is fine", and "they are just gouging us". I believe all of those, however we did sign that contract with a ToS telling us what we can and cannot do whether we like it or not. I am NOT on VZW's side, trust me I am even looking at other companies that are more opensource "friendly". I am just trying to look at it from both sides.

Last edited:

Spartans_08

Reaction score

Not abuse (IMO)
----------------

Abuse (IMO)
----------------

Honestly tethering, and what people do with it would not bother me that much If it wasn't the major reason for Verizon to start making their phones harder to customize.
Again that is only my opinion, and yes I have tethered too. Because my WiFi was acting very flaky, however I used it to browse the internet, and to do some school work.

I have also heard the argument that it is "our" unlimited internet, and "Verizon's network is fine", and "they are just gouging us". I believe all of those, however we did sign that contract with a ToS telling us what we can and cannot do whether we like it or not. I am NOT on VZW's side, trust me I am even looking at other companies that are more opensource "friendly". I am just trying to look at it from both sides.

I agree I only use the tethering for reasons you listed...honestly I wouldn't cancel my internet at home because its way faster (obviously) the wireless tethering was convienent...but using easythether doesn't bother me when I do have to use it

Desicrator

Reaction score
honestly I wouldn't cancel my internet at home because its way faster (obviously)

lol, this is what confuses me the most 3G is so slow I don't know how people can use it for all that stuff.

and it reminds me of another point to my opinion, that with 4G able to almost compete with the home internet, Verizon knows it will be abused even more.

Spartans_08

Reaction score
honestly I wouldn't cancel my internet at home because its way faster (obviously)

lol, this is what confuses me the most 3G is so slow I don't know how people can use it for all that stuff.

and it reminds me of another point to my opinion, that with 4G able to almost compete with the home internet, Verizon knows it will be abused even more.

Very good point...I haven't used 4G yet but if it can somewhat compete with cable...and probably beat DSL then I'm sure it will get abused more than 3G ever did lol

meagerfindings

Reaction score
Thanks Desicrator!
I hadn't thought about this perspective as to how VZW locks down the whole phone to prevent this one feature. I appreciate this insight.

I laughed when I read the Xbox live/PSN thing. I can't imagine trying to do that over 3G! My wife and I just moved and have been figuring out what our budget looks like and in the mean time we haven't setup/purchased an internet contract. This is the primary reason I rooted my phone, other than out of sheer curiosity, which with time will lead to roms and themes, I'm afraid to admit out loud (oops). Between the speed of 3G, which has been just tolerable to do what we need to do and now your insights as to another perspective on why VZW locks down their devices I am taking a look at ISP's again rather than putting it off. Thanks!

Desicrator

Reaction score
I laughed when I read the Xbox live/PSN thing. I can't imagine trying to do that over 3G! My wife and I just moved and have been figuring out what our budget looks like and in the mean time we haven't setup/purchased an internet contract. This is the primary reason I rooted my phone, other than out of sheer curiosity, which with time will lead to roms and themes, I'm afraid to admit out loud (oops).

Thank you, for being cool about hearing other's opinions something the internet seems to lack :). I just wish home internet was not incredibly expensive here in the US, for what we get.

Oh and be careful with ROMS and Themes it's way too easy to get addicted. :icon_eek:

Best of luck in your Android Endeavors.

zero7404

Reaction score
i'm on 591 and can wireless tether without an issue.

OP
jst4fun

jst4fun

Reaction score
So if wireless tether is really big part of why I rooted my X, I should leave the phone they way I have it now and not update to GB?

Rocko

Reaction score

Not abuse (IMO)
----------------

Abuse (IMO)
----------------

Justification for stealing. It breaks your contract, plain and simple. You don't agree with Verizon, go someplace else.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do we really need to get into the legal/illegal thing again? I mean that subject is beating a dead horse.

I have a reliable source telling me that GB for X will be rooted by end of the day tomorrow.