how long to charge battery?

usermike

Reaction score
How long does it take to charge the Droid / Milestone battery from 0% to 100% ?

bbtkd

Reaction score
How long does it take to charge the Droid / Milestone battery from 0% to 100% ?

Depends on whether you have the screen, wifi, and GPS on, whether you have good vs poor coverage, and on the current of the charger. Also, I doubt few have taken it right down to 0% so guesses will abound. I venture a guess with all of the above off, a good signal, and using the provided wall charger it should charge in 1.5 hours.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid battery doesn't get below 5% to the best of my knowledge. The amount of time it takes to charge is usually anywhere from hour and a half to two hours tops. It charges quickly.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Those times sound about right for the wall charger (I usually charge for two hours to be sure it is fully charged). It takes longer if you are plugging it into the USB port. Not sure about the car charger.

Silver Member
Reaction score
li-ion batterys can never be fully depleted. you will actualy ruin a li-ion battery by attempting to fully drain it.

OP
U

usermike

Reaction score
2 1/2 hours

I just got mine, and was wondering how long it would take to charge it from 0% to 100% before 1st use. It already finished: it was about 2 or 2 1/2 hours - plugged into wall. I assume it will be about the same time to fully recharge if i let it run out.

I got used to the type of battery where u r supposed to charge it full, let it run out, and repeat this at least 3 times before you do any partial recharges. (It wasn't absolutely essential, but it helped improve battery life.) What is that battery type called?

For the Motorola Droid/Milestone, r u saying one will get absolutely no improvement in battery life by performing the charge it full / let it run out 3 times when new?

OP
U

usermike

Reaction score
use USB?

thanks! so the Droid uses a Lithium Ion battery, which does not have "memory" (unlike the nickel-based batteries). So full charge and run down is not needed. Instead, do not run it down to zero. Also, if u can, avoid charging all the way up to 100%, as that has a small impact on battery longevity (how many years it lasts). But of course the less charge the battery has, the sooner u will need to charge again.

The articles also suggest charging at less-than-maximum charge current.
Q: does this mean it's better to charge by the slower USB method than by plugging into wall?

ib2qwik2c

Reaction score
mine charges in about 1 hour from 5% to 100%. I do this almost every night.
I thought there was something wrong... I can't believe it charges so fast!