How long should Nandroid backup take?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by lvlln, Dec 31, 2009.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. lvlln

lvlln Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a rooted 2.0.1 and just flashed the 0.15.0 recovery. The first thing I did was to run the Nandroid backup from the recovery menu, and it's taking a while. The little dots do keep appearing on screen, which makes me feel safe that something's happening, but should it be taking more than 15 minutes to run the backup?
  2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't say exactly how long as each phone is gonna vary, but it should be more like less than a minute to perhaps slightly more. Not row after row of dots. I have made lots of backups trying different features, and if you are getting row after row of dots it is hung. Not bricked. It happened once to me, and I just pulled the battery, rebooted normally, then rebooted back to recovery.

You will likley have a "bad" image with this hung episode, so when you reboot the first time normally, I would go in and erase the files before trying again.

Craig
  3. lvlln

lvlln Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thank you. I'm currently looking at a screen filled only with dots and the Android in the background, so I'm about to pull the battery and reboot. Would you say I should try again, or is there something that I might be able to change in order to prevent this hanging from happening again?

Also, is the created backup a folder in the /sdcard/nandroid folder with today's date in it? Is that the one I should delete?
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. awsolot

awsolot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having same issue. Did you get pass this and if you did how?
  5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gang,

Not sure why I had one episode of 0.0.15 do this to me, but it is a solid recovery image. Might just take a couple whacks at it.

It should create a BCDMS-xxxxxx subdirectory under the nandroid subdirectory on your sd card. Within this BCDMS-xxxxxx subdirectory (folder) you should have 5-7 files depending on what you chose to backup. The bcdms name refers to each of the partitions that got backed up, with the b for boot, c for cache, etc.

It might be easiest to do the simple unadvanced (unnamed) backup first, and confirm that the files are all there and have data in them. Then play with the advanced recovery menu. There are lots of things you can do on the phone and apply shortcuts, etc. You want to be quadriply sure that you have a solid image of your phone with which to recover. Please take the time here, and ignore all the folks who say I got xyz changes made in 3 minutes. If you slip from the cliff, this recovery image is the only thing between you and the abyss. There is an instructer in the gun world who likes the saying, "one is none, two is one". It could apply.

Craig
  6. Jupiter Spunk

Jupiter Spunk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure your sd card isn't full.
    if its over 5 minutes you have a problem.
  7. iSecks

iSecks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This happened to me last night, and I couldn't get it to work. What I did was reflash 0.14.3 and then flash 0.15.0 one more time. I don't know what the problem was, but it's working now. =]
  8. Melon Bread

Melon Bread Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When i flashed 0.0.15 it took me no more than 45 seconds
  9. awsolot

awsolot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a tutorial on how to do this?
  10. iSecks

iSecks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just get the 0.14.3 image from Sholes and flash it with the same command you used for 0.15.0 [flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.15.0.img] but using the 0.14.3 image instead. [flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovry-0.14.3.img]. Right after you flash 0.14.3, if you have 0.15.0 on the sd card already, you can just run the command again with 0.15.0 again. Good luck!
  11. awsolot

awsolot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea what you're talkin about. I'm running Android 2.0.1 and I'm triyn to upgrade to 2.1
  12. iSecks

iSecks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait, were you having the problem of the unusually long nandroid backups? Or are you just starting trying to upgrade to 2.1?

If you didn't have the problem the thread is talking about, follow the tutorial in the link below to upgrade to 2.1, however, instead of using the links provided in the guide, use the links I've posted below for the newest 2.1 image and the newest recovery rom.

Tutorial: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/10247-how-install-2-1-easy-way.html

NEWEST RECOVERY ROM INSTRUCTIONS: SirPsychoS Recovery Image - Droid-Devs

NEWEST 2.1 IMAGE: AllDroid.org - View topic - [Rom] Nexus Droid
    [I recommend the one under "HC 2.1 SU DROID BOOT.zip" as that one has been rooted]

EDIT: In step 12, instead of installing the recovery image using the root helper, use the recovery tutorial I provided. Also, in step 19, use the 2.1 image from the link I provided instead of the one from Greek35T, as the one I've provided is the newest release out.

EDIT 2: Disregard that last statement about the recovery image, as the latest update of droid root helper includes the latest recovery image by SirPsychoS. In step 19, the rom I linked to is still newer than the one in that tutorial, so I do still recommend using that rom.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  13. awsolot

awsolot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm still having the problem of the unusually long nandroid backups
  14. iSecks

iSecks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Follow the instructions on how to flash the recovery image I posted, but instead of using 0.15.0, use an older version [you can download them from Sholes ]
    When you finish that, just follow the same instructions again, but use the newest [0.15.0] recovery menu. That fixed my backup problem.
  15. awsolot

awsolot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey man thanks for all you help but I'm stuck at step 4. Place the flash_image somewhere it can be executed like /system/bin or /data/local as it can NOT be executed from /sdcard??
    I'm not sure how to tackle this
Search tags for this page

how long does a nandroid backup take

how long does a nandroid restore take
how long does it take an htc one m8 to get back from a nandroid restore
how long does it take to do a nandroid backup
how long does it take to make a nandroid backup

how long does nandroid backup take

how long does nandroid restore take
how long does nandroid take
nandroid backup how long
nandroid backup long time