1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How long should a Droid battery last before the battery life shortens?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Shaneathan, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Shaneathan

Shaneathan New Member

I've had my Droid since the middle of last December. Within the past couple days, I've noticed the battery life has shortened from what it was.

Today, I took it off the charger at around 8:30. I barely used it for about 5 hours, and by that point it was at 60%. This is significantly shorter than it has been and I have not changed my habits/settings/apps. So I guess the question is: is 10 months really the length of time that a battery should have the normal battery life until it starts to deteriorate? I'm on a 2 year contract and they give me a battery that loses life with 14 months left?

Any thoughts?
  2. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator Premium Member

Try and drain the battery then charge back to full and drain it again then recharge. Sometimes that might do the trick. But if that does not reset the battery memory. Take it in to VZW before your one year anniversary and it should be covered under warranty. Just tell them that the battery is dying prematurely. They should replace it. As long as your under warranty.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.
  3. WarfinAZ

WarfinAZ New Member

Same issue ???

I have only had my Driod X for a few months, and I noticed that the last 2 days (maybe just started yesterday) that my battery is just being sucked out like there is a whole somewhere. I didnt install anything new. ?? I came on here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Is this a widespread thing? It would loose 40% in a matter of an hour.

Anyone else having this same problem
  4. Quicksilver7714

Drained and recharge the battery as I stated before. This should work. It should not matter what phone you are using.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.
  5. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Actually, it's not the battery memory, it's the phone's ability to read the charge state. Lithium-based batteries don't develop memory. :) But yeah, run the phone till the battery level drops to 5% and powers the phone off, then charge the phone all the way back up on the wall charger for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 or overnight without touching it. This will force the phone to relearn the battery charge states.

As for extended lifespans, it varies based on the individual battery, how hard it's used, etc. etc. But expect several months to a year before deterioration becomes noticeable. Two years is not unheard of, but it's not very common. However, at the price of a replacement battery (approximately $10), replacing it after a year doesn't seem too bad considering the cost of a new phone. ;)
  6. WarfinAZ

WarfinAZ New Member

Ok, I will try that. Is it best to have the phone off while recharging it? Like at night? I leave my phone on 24/7

My husband has the same phone, his started doing it too yesterday. So did my sister. I find it strange that they all of a sudden are having the same problem.

Thanks again. :)
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. Shaneathan

Shaneathan New Member

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

I didn't realize that a replacement battery would only cost $10? I thought they would be closer to $70 or something.
  8. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

If you all got your phones around the same time, it looks like a battery life issue. You will find your phone will power on when you plug in the charger. On the original droid you could power it off after you plugged it in, Im not sure about the X.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more

And that was just a quick Amazon "droid battery" search.
  10. Shaneathan

Shaneathan New Member

That worked. My battery is acting like normal. Thanks!
  11. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

[/quote]
    If you all got your phones around the same time, it looks like a battery life issue. You will find your phone will power on when you plug in the charger. On the original droid you could power it off after you plugged it in, Im not sure about the X.[/QUOTE]

it could just be my phone but any time its plugged in it simply reboots when shut down. Just a heads up.

Sent from my D1 on SS4.8 @ 1Ghz
  12. Quicksilver7714

Your welcome. Glad I could help. :)

Search tags for this page
android battery cost
android battery life before replacement
android battery price
android phone battery cost
cost of android battery
how long do cell phone batteries last before replacement
how long does a phone battery last before replacement
how long does droid battery last
how long does droid x battery last
how long does the bayyery life last on a droid x2

how long should a cell phone battery last before replacement