how long does your batter last?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I also put it to sleep as soon as I'm ready to set it down. Give these things a try and I'll bet you'll get at least a full day off of a charge.

True. But it's a smart phone - I want it to KNOW when I pick it up to take it out of sleep (with the option to disable locking if I'm at home or the office - pick it up and BOOM right to my default home screen).

Yeah, yeah, I know all about the issue of hitting random keys if it's in your pocket, but there should be a setting to do this if it's sitting on a table. I'd guess eventually someone will write that app, or maybe I'm in a small minority that would like such functionality.

BCrawford

Reaction score
I can get a good 14 - 15 hours with moderate usage. Lot's of people have commented on how wi-fi sucks the battery. I thought that wi-fi used less juice than a 3G connection. Anyone?

I've done some testing, but don't have a clear picture yet.

WiFi may use less battery when it's actually doing something. But with WiFi on and the phone doing nothing, it will drain battery.

I've been looking at my battery usage and playing around with different settings. Screen is always on lowest brightness in my apartment. I would say with WiFi on all the time, it's in the 8% range on battery usage...if I get about 10 hours on these settings, that means my WiFi is draining about 1.25 hours of battery...so if I actually only used WiFi for 15 minutes I "wasted" over an hour of battery.

For now I'm leaving my screen on all day (power right nearby)...A great thing I've found is I have a "home standby" Locale setting that turns off WiFi (and some other stuff) when my droid is laying flat on a table. When I pick it up, it takes 5-10 seconds to turn on WiFi which really isn't noticeable by the time you launch a browser and enter your search. But now that I have VoIP I may leave WiFi on all the time.

By far the the display and talk are the biggest battery killers (each minute on a call sucks about 2.5 minutes from your battery's potential usage time).

Eh.....8% of 10 Hours is actually more like 45 minutes, but who's counting? :) I have never noticed a difference with the WiFi running all day as compared to turning it off. I used to religiously turn it on when using it and off when done, but now I leave it on 24/7 and really haven't noticed a difference. Same with the automatic sync and the GPS. You just have to make sure programs aren't using this stuff while your phone is at rest. I had google web page set up to use my location and I noticed sometimes if I left the browser on the google web page, it would leave the GPS searching constantly. I have since disable that feature and the GPS does not suck battery anymore.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Eh.....8% of 10 Hours is actually more like 45 minutes, but who's counting? :)

I took 1/8 of 10 hours instead of 8% :)

Can't remember if I turned 3G off, but if you look at battery usage Android System and Cell Standby don't change, but then you get something like 5-8% of WiFi usage pop in if you leave it on. May only be about 45 minutes difference, but that's "leakage" that adds up if you have that across a few apps.

I haven't fully tweaked all my frequency of update settings, and I have a bunch of widgets - weather forecast and about 5 news feeds (google, reuters news and 3 RSS news widgets).

BCrawford

Reaction score
Yea good point. My WiFi is at 7% right now. I do feel that sometimes, depending on your widgets and set up of certain apps, that leaving WiFi enabled may actually save your battery by using the WiFi for updating and not OTA. Man, I love playing with this phone :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea good point. My WiFi is at 7% right now. I do feel that sometimes, depending on your widgets and set up of certain apps, that leaving WiFi enabled may actually save your battery by using the WiFi for updating and not OTA. Man, I love playing with this phone :D

Cool thing about free VoIP is I can talk over my WiFi to my heart's content and burn much less battery than a normal VZW call, at least I think that's the case. Probably the same case over 3G, which is a battery saving argument for VoIP if you are wandering around with no backup power options.

droider4life

Reaction score
Droider4life, you shouldn't be running your battery down all the way. That will doom your battery to an early grave as well. It's better to keep it charged up than to let it really low.
Probably not. There is a lot of information and mis-information out there regarding Li-Ion batteries. While they prefer partial charges to full charges, the real things to worry about regarding life are over-charges and over-discharges.

Here is a small quote from the following link: How to prolong lithium-based batteries
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So full discharges about once a month help to re-calibrate your battery life display and should have minimal impact on battery life.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is another link that discusses charging of Li-Ion batteries for those geeks out there that like to read up on this stuff! :reddroid:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charging lithium-ion batteries[/FONT]
Thanks Rkeller. this is good information. appreciate it!!

cchhiipp

Reaction score
how long does your batter last?

People will tell you to manage your flour to egg ratio, and that unless you really need it, you can just ignore the baking soda entirely, but honestly, the yeast is going to have the greatest effect on how long your batter lasts, bar none.

Also, don't root unless you want to overcook. I've heard good things about bugless yeast...

mtbhk44

Reaction score
Droider4life, you shouldn't be running your battery down all the way. That will doom your battery to an early grave as well. It's better to keep it charged up than to let it really low.
Gotcha... last night was the first time I have done it. It was kind of like a last ditch effort. I can't seem to figure out why my battery life is so poor. Although it seemed to help. I will be sure to take ur advice tho since I don't want to ruin my battery! Maybe its a faulty battery? But 8hrs tops with medium use shouldn't kill it so fast I wouldn't think. It usually drops ten percent within a half hour and another ten an hour later without even using it.. I am totally open to any suggestions!

MMMMMM....batter. Chocolate chip pancakes are my favorite.

That's not entirely true xliderider. The motorola documentation states that you should do two full cycles when you get the phone. Charge it up all the way, burn it down, charge it up, burn it down. Then use normally. This cycle should be repeated approximately every 30 days.

Personally I was getting about 26 hours, stock. Then I rooted and started messing around with different ROMs fully overclocked to between 800 and 1.2 ghz. Currently I'm running BB 1.1 with Adamz's Kernel at 1.1ghz. I'm getting crap for battery life, but damn the phone is fast! I'm down to about maybe 15 hours a day, which is more than enough since I'm always near a charger but still not great.

For you guys getting terrible battery life (less than 10 hours), I'd suggest formatting and starting from scratch only putting on the apps you need. I had downloaded the google news reader, hated it, and then got rid of it. For some reason, the residual still stayed on the phone and was murdering my battery life. I lost about 10 hours a day from the time I downloaded that app until I formatted.

Good luck

jmacal83

Reaction score
I would say with txting, news feed reading, pandora radio listening, some game playing while on the train....i can go about 10 hours on full charge....but remember each time Google release Android OS updates they improve the battery life.

General_Lee86

Reaction score
Mine usually lasts about 9-12 hours or more and Thats listening to Slacker radio whenever I am at home, checking emails all the time both my yahoo and gmail, also with Weatherbug and ebuddy running signed in in the background I believe, and 3 or four widgets running on 2 screens the right side one and the left one. I still usually can get 12 hours easy and with no problems and it hasn't ever been shutt off or reset only once that I know of.:icon_ banana: I love my droid and have treated it very well for the over 2 months I have had it or so.