How long do I have to return a buggy phone to Verizon?

crazynikka

Reaction score
So I searched the forums looking for an answer to this but I couldn't find it. I experienced the strangest thing with my Gnex today. And I'm sorry if this is a little long, I just want to find out if anyone else has experienced something similar to this and/or an answer to the title of this thread.

I usually have the "touch sounds" on under the sound settings. But randomly in the middle of the day those sounds went away, and my keyboard didnt have the audio feedback either. I of course looked through all of the settings to make sure the volume was turned up and that those touch sound settings were checked. I won't lie I kind of like the audio feedback I get when pressing a button. So when I noticed it wasn't there anymore I was a little disappointed, but that wasn't the biggest problem that I was having. Any app that uses my media volume was affected by this I tried google music, youtube, and the like but there was no sound being played. I found this odd because my ringtones and notifications were still working fine.

The touch sounds and media sounds would come back from time to time, but only for periods of time shorter than a minute. Whenever they did come back my phone was lagging worse than anything I have ever experienced on this phone so far.

I did end up doing a factory reset, but after that it didn't end up fixing this problem. A few hours ago the sound has come back to my phone all on its own without me messing with anything.

Now this gets me to my question, as I am pretty worried that there could be something wrong with the hardware in the phone I have. I want to keep it and see if this problem comes back. But I don't know how long I can wait before I am no longer able to exchange it for a new Gnex.

I am on Verizon and I got this phone on 12/15.

jasonduffy

Reaction score
You have a year warranty. So they should exchange it for u.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
C

crazynikka

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. That is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make the mistake of getting that confused with the 15 day exchange policy. I don't know much about that sort of stuff.

If anyone has a similar problem with their phone I'd be interested in hearing about it.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have a year warranty. So they should exchange it for u.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Yes, but all the 1 year warranty gets is a CLNR phone...I believe he's asking how long he has to take it back before he gets snubbed with a refurb. And I *believe* the answer is 30 days. After that, they can give you a refurbished Nex or a new Nex. Pretty much their discretion.

OP
C

crazynikka

Reaction score
Yes, but all the 1 year warranty gets is a CLNR phone...I believe he's asking how long he has to take it back before he gets snubbed with a refurb. And I *believe* the answer is 30 days. After that, they can give you a refurbished Nex or a new Nex. Pretty much their discretion.

Oh thanks for that information, I definitely would want to catch it while I can still get a brand new phone fresh out of the box and not a refurbed one.

eagle923

Reaction score
One thing to remember though, refurb'd phones have been looked at by a human more closely than new ones. In the two cases I've had to take a CLNR phone, they were excellent. A phone that has to be certified is actually inspected by a human being! So don't worry too much about them.

robert70

Reaction score
Eagle is right, the two refurbished phones I've had were better than the brand new ones I've had to turn in for whatever reason, the only test that is done on a brand new phone when its finished being built is " does it turn on " and that's it, they visually inspect the aesthetics of it " no dents, scratches or blemishes " and ship it. Sorry eagle I was just continuing your thought.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

bmkdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, I am waiting on a replacement from VZW now and was told that it could be a CLN, but most likely would be new as the support person didn't think they had refurbished ones yet.

Personally though, I'll be happy either way assuming the phone is in better working order than the one I have now! If it isn't, I can just call them and tell them they sent me one worse than what I had!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, people cry about refurbs but they are still flawless phones. It's not like they give you a phone with scratches and dents. Verizon's refurb program is very meticulous.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ. If you look on this site, you will find that for the most part, the CLNR program isn't very good at all. I have had bad experiences with them on a few phones.

X

eagle923

Reaction score
I beg to differ. If you look on this site, you will find that for the most part, the CLNR program isn't very good at all. I have had bad experiences with them on a few phones.

X

I guess it is a YMMV type deal. My first D1 had a crackling headphone port, and the exchanged new one did too. They overnighted me a refurbed one (normally one that someone "rented" or returned in excellent condition) and it is now almost 3 years old. My wife had a very similar issue with her DX. The refurb is excellent.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Its hit or miss, I have had numerous CLNR devices and it really is hit or miss. I had 4 defective D1 sent to me in a row, 5th one was fine. Same thing happened with my Droid X, sent me one bad CLNR, second one was fine.

480Ruger

Reaction score
Fact is did you shell out for one new or used? I’m on number 3 with the weak radio issue. So far still giving me new ones. Good luck!

kmo

Reaction score
Had a refurbished HTC Incredible due to a hardware issue on my original and it was flawless, looks and performance....don't think there's much of a chance of a problem. If there is VZW will have to replace the replacement, haha.

eagle923

Reaction score
Fact is did you shell out for one new or used? I’m on number 3 with the weak radio issue. So far still giving me new ones. Good luck!

I shelled out for a phone that works. New would be best, but if you are on new #3 that doesn't work... I'm not seeing the benefit yet.