How long before we can shoot IMAX quality footage with our phones?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well as someone said I can already shoot 4K video. Now ask me how many times I have?
I shoot video of my kid eating an ice cream sandwich, or talking to me about his favorite Transformers. I love my son more then anything on planet Earth and I just do not need his video in 4K. :D
I hear you, but 4D video isn't necessarily all about definition for the size of the original image. Just like with megapixels in still camera shooting, the more pixels the more definition, and therefore when blown up there's less pixelation and noise. The same holds true with 4K video which could be downsized to 2k or 1080p for a relatively small segment of the screen and still give you true HD quality video allowing you to edit and be selective of your subject matter after the fact rather than concentrating so much on where you at are pointing the camera.

Unfortunately when taking video of moving subjects you aren't always pointing the camera at exactly the subject matter you're hoping to obtain video for. Often times I've found after the fact that there's something more interesting that is not in the center of the frame. Unfortunately at the lower resolutions you can't blow up that section of the frame and have a quality video image of it.

I often shoot still images in 21 megapixel now with my turbo, and then will edit the picture after the fact and crop to a specific frame size resulting in a much better overall picture then if I were to spend more time trying to frame my subject while taking the shot.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear you, but 4D video isn't necessarily all about definition for the size of the original image. Just like with megapixels in still camera shooting, the more pixels the more definition, and therefore when blown up there's less pixelation and noise. The same holds true with 4K video which could be downsized to 2k or 1080p for a relatively small segment of the screen and still give you true HD quality video allowing you to edit and be selective of your subject matter after the fact rather than concentrating so much on where you at are pointing the camera.

Unfortunately when taking video of moving subjects you aren't always pointing the camera at exactly the subject matter you're hoping to obtain video for. Often times I've found after the fact that there's something more interesting that is not in the center of the frame. Unfortunately at the lower resolutions you can't blow up that section of the frame and have a quality video image of it.

I often shoot still images in 20 megapixel now with my turbo, and then will edit the picture after the fact and crop to a specific frame size resulting in a much better overall picture then if I were to spend more time trying to frame my subject while taking the shot.
Foxkat, I enjoy your input to our threads. You are like our DF "did you know?" Guy. That helps for those of us wondering if something is practical now, in the future, or never.

Thanks FK.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You mean 21MP. ;)
Yea, I always shoot in 21. We only have 2 options. WIDE (15) and NORMAL (21) with the stock camera anyway.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You mean 21MP. ;)
Yea, I always shoot in 21. We only have 2 options. WIDE (15) and NORMAL (21) with the stock camera anyway.
Edited my op. Thanks!