How long before the Incredible is rooted?

zenman77

Reaction score
Is anyone working on this yet? As much as I love my Droid I really like the lighter incredible and would switch but only if it can be rooted at the time.

matt30

Reaction score
I think the N1 root procedure works on the incredible. Not verifyied though because not many people are willing to do it without verification. Hold power and down volume to get to the bootloader.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no telling how long it will be. Could be months away, or someone could be close to rooting it as we speak. If the phone has to be rooted before you'll switch, you'll just have to wait.

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance by this question. I am a newbie to Droids. I come from a BB curve and when I decided to switch to an Android phone (originally was gonna get Moto Droid, but then the DInc came out and went with it) I kept hearing about the ability to root. I'm sorry but I have no idea what this means. Also, I see a lot of threads about ROM's for the Droid. Can someone answer for me in a simple but not too vague way what rooting is and what is ROM? What does it do? How do you do it? What does it cost? Etc. Thanks so much.

kdanielson

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance by this question. I am a newbie to Droids. I come from a BB curve and when I decided to switch to an Android phone (originally was gonna get Moto Droid, but then the DInc came out and went with it) I kept hearing about the ability to root. I'm sorry but I have no idea what this means. Also, I see a lot of threads about ROM's for the Droid. Can someone answer for me in a simple but not too vague way what rooting is and what is ROM? What does it do? How do you do it? What does it cost? Etc. Thanks so much.

You can find all the information you need in the Droid Hacking section of the forum. In particular, look here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is anyone working on this yet? As much as I love my Droid I really like the lighter incredible and would switch but only if it can be rooted at the time.

This is like asking when the buried treasure will be found. When it is done everyone will know it is done. There is no date and time determined for this, nor will there be.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is like asking when the buried treasure will be found. When it is done everyone will know it is done. There is no date and time determined for this, nor will there be.

Are you sure? I could have sworn you told me it was going to happen "soon." :D:icon_ devil:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Are you sure? I could have sworn you told me it was going to happen "soon." :D:icon_ devil:

• settings/apps/manage apps/filter/hidden apps/root features/enable - set to yes.
  • Pop up indicates June 31st 2010.
  • Secondary pop-up indicates Force Close due to invalid date.

713King

Reaction score
People at xda-developers are trying diff. Methods and people who are trying are put to shame with crappy comments users put. I don't think anytime soon, because look how long it took for eris to be rooted.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
People at xda-developers are trying diff. Methods and people who are trying are put to shame with crappy comments users put. I don't think anytime soon, because look how long it took for eris to be rooted.

It is a very hard thing to estimate, time wise. If they knew exactly what to do then they'd know how long it would take but once they knew that it wouldn't take long at all. People will poke around and hit dead ends and then suddenly one of those methods will have a breakthrough and it will be rooted.

Look at the Milestone. Last I knew it could be rooted but new roms still could not be flashed.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Some of those crappy comments are from elitists who are also trying to root, but either have no people skills, or want the notoriety of being the one who roots it.

dirtyjeep

Reaction score
so what exactly would rooting the incredible do? It already does everything I need it to do.. Except take screenshots.

But what other functions would rooting give the incredible?