How is your call quality?

windstrings

Reaction score
I feel like I"m still seeing issues with folks that are not doing the things that resolve the issue?

Is this true?

1. Turn off your voice privacy
2. Go to EVRC-B vocodec

People that have done these two things have no more issues unless they are just not holding the phone near thier mouth.

To turn off voice privacy.. go to settings----> call settings---> scroll down to "voice privacy and uncheck it"

To go to EVRC-B vocodec Dial "##program" and press send. Enter code "000000"
In option #4 change the vocode option to EVRC-B.

This is a higher level speech codec used by CDMA networks introduced by 3GPP2 based on 4GV concept and is the newest and most advanced codex for cellular applications. Your phone will reset after you apply and exit.

If you've done those two things and still have issues then you have something to talk about.
These issues have been dealt with months back and unless your very new to the droid, there should be no reason you have not tried this yet.

Hopefully the 2.1 firmware will resolve this issue but until then, this is fhe fix.

dkelly701

Reaction score
Anytime the EVRC-B vocode suggestion is given, you should also mention that this does not work everywhere and your phone will not make telephone calls in areas that don't support this vocode (central North Carolina is one area). If you choose to do this remember that your phone might suddenly quit working while you are traveling. If so, change your vocode back to EVRC and try again before taking your phone to Verizon.

I feel like I"m still seeing issues with folks that are not doing the things that resolve the issue?

Is this true?

1. Turn off your voice privacy
2. Go to EVRC-B vocodec

People that have done these two things have no more issues unless they are just not holding the phone near thier mouth.

To turn off voice privacy.. go to settings----> call settings---> scroll down to "voice privacy and uncheck it"

To go to EVRC-B vocodec Dial "##program" and press send. Enter code "000000"
In option #4 change the vocode option to EVRC-B.

This is a higher level speech codec used by CDMA networks introduced by 3GPP2 based on 4GV concept and is the newest and most advanced codex for cellular applications. Your phone will reset after you apply and exit.

If you've done those two things and still have issues then you have something to talk about.
These issues have been dealt with months back and unless your very new to the droid, there should be no reason you have not tried this yet.

Hopefully the 2.1 firmware will resolve this issue but until then, this is fhe fix.

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
Anytime the EVRC-B vocode suggestion is given, you should also mention that this does not work everywhere and your phone will not make telephone calls in areas that don't support this vocode (central North Carolina is one area). If you choose to do this remember that you phone might suddenly quit working while you are traveling. If so, change you vocode back to EVRC and try again before taking your phone to Verizon.

True... I should have mentioned that... the cases seem pretty isolated ...... people can always go to the oldest vodoc which is the other one but I thought that sounded more thin like a walkie talkie.. didn't like it.. but it would be good in a pinch if all else failed.

shiccy

Reaction score
I only get this if I am talking in bed (yeah I'm lazy so sue me) and if I talk with my right ear ... It must have something to do with the antenna ... There is a verizon rep that took through updating the way your droid encodes calls through their setup... once I put it to the option they told me to, it's worked great ever since.

It seems to happen more in low service areas.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Have you read through all of the bug reports for call quality issues on the google code android site? People have tried these changes that you're talking about and it hasn't helped everyone.

I haven't made the changes because a) they don't work everywhere and b) it turns off voice privacy. My methods have worked for me and perhaps some people out there can appreciate that.

TMTOWTDI...there's more than one way to do it. I think it's fine for people to talk about alternative solutions. Let's not discourage people.

oatmealboy

Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but here is my very-unscientific experience.

I was given a Droid, from work, to play around with in early January. With that phone, most folks could not hear me well, and it was even worse on speakerphone. My Casio Boulder, apparently, was MUCH BETTER than that Droid.

Now, with my own personal Droid (build date 50/09), the same folks don't have the same complaints with the first Droid, and in fact, the speakerphone seems to work much better.

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but here is my very-unscientific experience.

I was given a Droid, from work, to play around with in early January. With that phone, most folks could not hear me well, and it was even worse on speakerphone. My Casio Boulder, apparently, was MUCH BETTER than that Droid.

Now, with my own personal Droid (build date 50/09), the same folks don't have the same complaints with the first Droid, and in fact, the speakerphone seems to work much better.

One major difference between those two is the firmware edition.
Back beginning of Jan we ran 2.0 and many people complained of sound issues and that very issue was addressed in the next firmware which we all not "should" be running ... version 2.0.1. Unless you are rooted and are using a 2.1 ROM.

Nevertheless, I thought most all of the sound issues were resolved after that update.... especially with the settings described above being implemented.

I don't think any hardware has changed.. but the firmware has.

oatmealboy

Reaction score
One major difference between those two is the firmware edition.
Back beginning of Jan we ran 2.0 and many people complained of sound issues and that very issue was addressed in the next firmware which we all not "should" be running ... version 2.0.1. Unless you are rooted and are using a 2.1 ROM.

My personal phone is unrooted and has 2.0.1. The phone I borrowed from work was also unrooted, BUT... At the time I had the Droid from work, it already had the 2.0.1 firmware.

windstrings

Reaction score
Do you remember if you had any of the settings changed on the first phone?
like the private voice turned off of the vocodec changed?

And if so, do you have any of those settings engaged on the second phone?

oatmealboy

Reaction score
Do you remember if you had any of the settings changed on the first phone?
like the private voice turned off of the vocodec changed?

And if so, do you have any of those settings engaged on the second phone?

To my knowledge, the first Droid was completely stock. Didn't play with the voice settings at all. My Droid is also completely stock.

altovintner

Reaction score
I got mine last week, and so far the call quality is better than my Storm1. Moreover, general reception is better at my house and around where I live.

IMHO, the various Moto phones that I have had, going back to a Startac in the late 90s, had excellent reception and voice call quality.

windstrings

Reaction score
I got mine last week, and so far the call quality is better than my Storm1. Moreover, general reception is better at my house and around where I live.

IMHO, the various Moto phones that I have had, going back to a Startac in the late 90s, had excellent reception and voice call quality.

If by reception you mean signal quality I whole heartedly agree.... I can talk in so many more places and inside buildings better than I ever could with my Dare.