How Is The Vibrate On This Phone? Can You Make Your Own Ringtones/Msg Alerts?

CHRISOF03

Reaction score
Currently with T-Mobile and have the Sidekick LX 09, and about to switch to VW! Excited about the change, but trying to learn as much about the Motorola Droid as possible because it's likely the one I'm going to get... How is the vibrate feat (like for phone calls, sms/mms alerts, etc) for this phone? I know the vibrate on my Sidekick is AMAZING-damn near falls off of my desk as work whenever someone is calling, and I can actually FEEL it if it's in my pocket and I get a text alert. Just wondering if the vibrate feature on the Droid was very strong.

Also, I wanted to know if you have to download certain ringtones from certain places (like the download catalog with the T-Mobile Sidekick), or if you can just put and .mp3 on the memory card and use IT as a ringtone/message alert. Can you set individual ringers/alerts for individual contacts too?

Thanks so much to anyone who has the answer to all these questions LOL!

meekless

Reaction score
I dont think you could use it as a vibrator but it does work quite well and I can feel it when its in my pocket.

I love the ringtone capabilities of this phone. You can use any mp3 thats on the phone. And there is a great app on the market which is a ringtone maker which allows you to upload the mp3 into the app, it breaks down the mp3 into a line graph and allows you to take any section of the mp3 out and assign it as a ring or notification tone.
I took an audio section out of the 300 trailer and now when my phone rings it says "Spartans, tonight we dine in hell!"

ShowTime

Reaction score
The default vibrate isn't anything spectacular but it gets the job done. There are also several good apps on the market that allow you to set custom vibrate and notification alerts.

And yes, you can use any ringtone you want. Ringdroid is the app meekless was talking about to make your own ringtones right on the phone and it works well. Setting custom ringtones for individual contacts is also super easy.

jbsangel

Reaction score
The vibrate on this phone to me is just ok (by default). It does 2 short pulses which are strong enough I guess, but they are so short I can easily miss them. With the phone in a deep pocket of loose fitting clothes like sweats, I often don't feel it. In a tighter pocket on my hip in a holster it's ok.

I use handcent for text msgs which allows you to change the vibrate pulse which is very helpful for both increasing the number of pulses and the length, and also for differentiating the vibrate for the text from the standard vibrate notification.

I use Audacity on my computer to make my own custom tones. Its easy enough and you have the benefit of working at a computer instead of trying to maneuver on the phone. The phone doesn't have the ability to create/edit ringtones, but like was said previously, if you want to do this on the phone there are free and paid apps that let you do it. There are also apps you can download that are just batches of sound files of different varieties like alerts, lines from movies, etc if you don't want to create or otherwise obtain your own.

meekless

Reaction score
Thanks for adding that info about the ringtone app ShowTime. I didnt have my phone in front of me and forgot the name of the app, so appreciate passing on the info!!

I do love that app!
and agree as well i think Handcent is awesome, and hey its free!

orangepeel

Reaction score
The default vibrate isn't anything spectacular but it gets the job done. There are also several good apps on the market that allow you to set custom vibrate and notification alerts.

Is there an app,or a setting that can make the vibration hard,or soft? I work in manufacturing and that's one of the problems I have with my Storm....I miss lots of text and calls because the vibration is too soft IMO.

U have an app on my Storm that will let me change the length of the vibration,but it's not much help.

I should be getting my Droid this coming week.I can't wait to get rid of my Storm.

OP
C

CHRISOF03

Reaction score
Thanks guys! All that is extremely helpful!!

@orangepeel

I'm really glad you asked that question about the Storm, because I'm getting a shared plan with my girl and she's likely going to get the Storm 2 - anyone know if this phone is worth getting?

ShowTime

Reaction score

Is there an app,or a setting that can make the vibration hard,or soft? I work in manufacturing and that's one of the problems I have with my Storm....I miss lots of text and calls because the vibration is too soft IMO.

U have an app on my Storm that will let me change the length of the vibration,but it's not much help.

I should be getting my Droid this coming week.I can't wait to get rid of my Storm.

As far as I know there's no way to change the intensity of the vibration, as that would require alterations to the accelerometer/motor inside the phone. Just ways to change the length, number, pattern, etc.

hinky

Reaction score
Verizon is nothing special. You'll sorely miss data and phone. The Droid is nice if you like the hardware keyboard that i find is essential. Vibrate and ringtones are good although no custom per contact.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Verizon is nothing special. You'll sorely miss data and phone. The Droid is nice if you like the hardware keyboard that i find is essential. Vibrate and ringtones are good although no custom per contact.

What do you mean "miss data and phone"? :confused:

And you can set custom ringtones for individual contacts....

hinky

Reaction score
1) On Verizon you cannot have simultaneous data and phone

2) AFAIK, there is no custom ringtone per contact and not in the contacts manager. Doesn't matter to me. I use the caller ID announcement instead which I find much better.

ShowTime

Reaction score
1) On Verizon you cannot have simultaneous data and phone

2) AFAIK, there is no custom ringtone per contact and not in the contacts manager. Doesn't matter to me. I use the caller ID announcement instead which I find much better.

You can if you have a wifi signal ;)

And, again, yes you can set custom ringtones for individual contacts. It's an option under men > option on the contact's page.

jbsangel

Reaction score

to clarify, you can assign a custom ring tone to any contact by selecting the contact in the contact list, pressing the menu button, and choosing options. There you will find custom ringtone and the option to send calls from that caller directly to voicemail.

there are also a gazillion apps on the market the will provide custom ringtones for callers, but i see no reason to use them when the stock contact app allows you to set it.

orangepeel

Reaction score
Thanks guys! All that is extremely helpful!!

@orangepeel

I'm really glad you asked that question about the Storm, because I'm getting a shared plan with my girl and she's likely going to get the Storm 2 - anyone know if this phone is worth getting?

It's a not a bad phone,but I would put the OS on the same level as Windows 98.It also leaks memory like crazy if you download a bunch of apps,youu have to make sure you close apps like facebook when your done using it or it will drain memory.

As far as the phone and email,it's very good at that.