How is the Revolution?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Thinking about getting this if amazon does their free thing Monday.

There are a few things I'd like to know:

1. How is call quality
2. How is the speaker phone
3. Is the screen Gorilla Glass
4. Is there a car dock
5. How is GPS

GunnerJim

Reaction score
1. How is call quality
Good, better than Charge, IMO.

2. How is the speaker phone,
Good, better than Charge, IMO.

3. Is the screen Gorilla Glass,
I personally think it is, but cannot confirm it with a source. The VZW rep told me he believed it was, for what it's worth.

4. Is there a car dock
Yes, got it at VZW for $29.99

5. How is GPS
Ok, it takes about 1 minute to lock up position within 60 meters

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Thanks for the info. How are you liking yours so far?

EDIT:

Can the revolution do svdo like the TB?

GunnerJim

Reaction score
I am torn, I love the LG Revo, but the Charge runs a close second... If I had one wish, the LG Revo battery life would be more like Charges, but it is not bad. Plus the jury is still out on LG Revo battery life, I am on the 4th charge cycle.

The one thing I really wish I knew was how the Droid Charge performed while Rooted, Voodoo EXT file system formatted, and custom ROMed.

For snappiness and responsiveness, the LG is pretty good. The benchmarks show the LG Revo is better out of the box, but rooting the Charge and doing the other things mentioned supposedly makes the scores go way up. It comes down to preference. You always second guess yourself when both devices bring so much to the table. If this was a 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S II, with BOSS stats like the GSM version... It would be no contest.

GunnerJim

Reaction score
No the LG Revolution does not have same SVDO radio as the TB for Voice/Data over 3G simultaneously.

The way the LG Revo and Samsung Droid Charge do Voice and Data simultaneously is using both radios, CDMA (Voice) and LTE (Data), that is only if you are in a 4G area. From my research and owning both phones, they cannot do voice and data in a 3G area.

The LG Revo has future capabilty to do Voice over LTE (VoLTE) as proven during the 2011 CES, this is like doing VOIP at home. This is the future of 4G. So the Revo will use one LTE radio to package voice/data simultaneously, if that makes sense, kind of future proof. I am sure this will reduce the need for 2 radios at some point and shrink the size of form factor used in 4G smartphones and hopefully extend battery life.

The TB can do voice and data in both 3G and 4G area. It uses a SVDO (3G Voice/Data Modem) radio for 3G areas and a combo of SVDO (Voice) and LTE (Data) radio in a 4G area. The TB is not VoLTE ready and cannot be updated to my knowledge.

N4UPD

Reaction score
I went to a Verizon Saturday afternoon and got the wife and I a LG Rev and we love them so far. The call quality is great at least over 3G (all I have in my area right now.) But there was 4G in the location I bought the phones but didn't have time to play with it. I had to pay full price for the wife's phone. I was able to get an early upgrade plus wanted to get in on the unlimited 4G before tiered pricing came in.Love the phone so far.Battery life not Great but not awful like the TB either.I kinda miss the d r o i d tone on notifications may see if I can download it from somewhere.

spdivr1122

Reaction score
1,2,3 all amazing. didnt use 4 or 5 . i LOVE this phone, but dont switch networks and reboot. something screws up and the phone doesnt turn on. By the way, this phone can currently do voice and data at the same time (on 4g of course) i LOVE this phone, i didnt like the way the charge felt in my hand

spdivr1122

Reaction score
I went to a Verizon Saturday afternoon and got the wife and I a LG Rev and we love them so far. The call quality is great at least over 3G (all I have in my area right now.) But there was 4G in the location I bought the phones but didn't have time to play with it. I had to pay full price for the wife's phone. I was able to get an early upgrade plus wanted to get in on the unlimited 4G before tiered pricing came in.Love the phone so far.Battery life not Great but not awful like the TB either.I kinda miss the d r o i d tone on notifications may see if I can download it from somewhere.

im pretty sure you can find that on "zedge" just search droid and im pretty sure itll be there

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
1,2,3 all amazing. didnt use 4 or 5 . i LOVE this phone, but dont switch networks and reboot. something screws up and the phone doesnt turn on. By the way, this phone can currently do voice and data at the same time (on 4g of course) i LOVE this phone, i didnt like the way the charge felt in my hand

Tell me more about this problem. If one switches networks and reboots will it not turn on at all? Does it need to be brought in for a replacement after that?

Sent from my fascinate

spdivr1122

Reaction score

Tell me more about this problem. If one switches networks and reboots will it not turn on at all? Does it need to be brought in for a replacement after that?

Sent from my fascinate
Ok. So my first revolution (yeah...second one now) randomly wouldn't turn back on after I turned it on it would just go to a blank gray lit up screen. Factory reset it was fine. Then it did it again and when I factory reset it would lnt recognize the similar card. Anyway on my second brand new one. Switched to 3g to conserve battery life bwent back to 4g and it did the gray screen of death again. Factory reset and it booted up fine. So I think LG needs to send out an update or something and fix this. Otherwise it seriously is an amazing phone.

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Thanks for the info everyone! Unfortunetly Amazon free deal was just a rumor (feel really gullible for believing it). So I won't be getting them now. I'm going to wait till closer to the new data pricing to get it.

If you download a ROM (like Petes GPA builds) unzip it then go to:

System > Media > Audio > Notifications

You should find it.

GunnerJim

Reaction score
spdivr, I have switched the LG Revo from CDMA Only-Automatic to LTE/CDMA-2-3 times already, rebooted as it asks you to each time, no problem yet (knock on wood). How do you switch it without the reboot? When I had the Charge, it was nice feature to do this on the fly... when it worked! I don't think it could be because of rooting, what do you think the cause is?

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Lucky. it has to reboot for some reason when you switch. Maybe there will be an update that fixes that. I've had problems whenever I switched the network. So I won't be doing that anymore. But if your screen ever does just go gray when you reboot and wont turn on either go to a store or you can just Hold the volume down and power buttons and factory reset

Sent from my LG Revolution

devinhfox

Reaction score
Got my revolution yesterday.
Haven't had the gray screen problem yet.
However, had several reboots when connecting usb.
Anyone else notice the display crushes blacks?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Haven't plugged it into my computer yet. I think mine did that when I would switch from lte/cdma
To cdma. Don't know why. But mine is working fine now
Sent from my LG Revolution