How is the Nexus compared to OG Droid?

baldybill

Reaction score
I know that specs wise, the Nexus blows away the OG Droid.
Yet, I'm concerned about the connections dropping and all.
I'm happy with the OG Droid in regards to connections.

I keep hearing about the problems with the connections, but is anyone finding the Nexus is better than the OG Droid as far as connections, download speeds, etc.? How would you compare the signal strength of the Nexus to the OG Droid?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well last night/early morning there was a nationwide outage. Other than that I never dropped connection

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

birddroid

Reaction score
mine is working awesome no connection issues at all. But i only have 3g since i am not in a 4g matket but i LOVE THIS PHONE

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had one data drop since I got the phone, was at our movie theater where my OG doesn't get a signal either. My signal's within 5-10dBm of my OG's.

Like dezy said, the 4g network is what's causing most of these "issues", it's been unstable and the Nexus just happened to be released in between 2 huge 4G outages.

aphexx2

Reaction score
I'm on the Verizon version, in an lte area (San Diego). I'm having all sorts of connection issues that I didn't have with the og droid. 1 dropped call of only a few calls I've had on the device. I can count on one hand the number of dropped calls I've had while using the og droid for 2 years. Other connection issues:

Last night my phone didn't even ring but I received a voicemail.

When sending a photo from the camera over gmail, it took over 10 minutes.

Sometimes when disabling wifi, I can't receive any data until I reset the phone. I didn't wait very long but I shouldn't have to.

I tried to turn airplane mode on then off to see if that would help, but I couldn't turn airplane mode off after I turned it on! Had to reset.

When it works, it's much faster than the og droid of course. Maybe I got a dud but I may just return the phone instead of exchange, because there are other things I don't like.

xliderider

Reaction score
My wife has a Samsung Fascinate, and I have a GNex. I definitely can say that Samsungs don't have the radio hardware that Motorolas are known for. My Moto E815, OG Droid, and Droid X have had great radio reception; whereas the Sammys have had what I'd call decent reception to put it nicely.

Other than that, the GNex blows the OG Droid out of the water. I don't know how you held on to the OG Droid so long. The Droid X was better in almost every way over the OG Droid (other than the locked bootloader and lack of a physical keyboard, if that is your thing).

Flandry

Reaction score
I had the same concern. In my experience, 3G/4G connectivity may actually be just slightly better on the GN. There's a store I go to where I know that if I want a signal on my OG, I have to go to the very front of the store and lean against the window. Then I can only get a 1X signal. I have to do the same with my GN, but can get a signal that varies between 3G and 4G.

In any event, I've not missed the connectivity from my OG so far. I do notice that the signal strength bars are lower in the GN. However, Droid Life is reporting this to be a result of mire accurate network reporting on the GN:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue

Last edited:
OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
So no one using mostly 3G has had any problems?

catfisher

Reaction score
I don't have 4g at home so my phone is switched to CDMA. I have no reception issues at all. Sure the bars LOOK lower but they don't give me issues. No dropped calls, no loss of data, no problems. Still doing everything faster than my X, in every category.

Sent from my bone stock Nexus

Ozzie

Reaction score
I have been considering this phone as well...coming from the D1...

The radio is also a concern of mine. One of my uses is the wireless tether up in the woods.
My D1 JUST gets a signal, so if any new phone is less, I'll be out of luck.
The ability to pull a signal is one of my primary needs.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. That's why I'm asking.
I have been considering this phone as well...coming from the D1...

The radio is also a concern of mine. One of my uses is the wireless tether up in the woods.
My D1 JUST gets a signal, so if any new phone is less, I'll be out of luck.
The ability to pull a signal is one of my primary needs.

dagdoot

Reaction score
Well last night/early morning there was a nationwide outage. Other than that I never dropped connection

Last night around 3am i was reading about the new radios..so i turned off my wifi to get back to 3g so i could test the 3g speed before and after, and it wouldnt connect to 3g at all! I started thinking there was something wrong with my phone and tried to get it connect by pulling battery, sim card like 3 times, and nothing..after reading about the outages it relieved me. I went to bed and woke up and it connected to 3G thank god lol..

flyinion

Reaction score
Other than the nationwide 3g/4g outage this morning and one random reboot that I blame on SetCPU and the kernel governor not responding fast enough to wake up when I unlocked directly to the camera, I've had no problems at all. No dropped/missed calls, no signal issues any worse than my OG in the same spots (middle of my building = no signal on either phone), etc. I don't regret moving from my OG to the Nexus at all.DancingNexus

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I don't have 4G at work, or at home, but I have it in the middle. I just turned off my 4G, and haven't had any issues so far. No dropped calls, or anything. I have noticed the signal is weak sometimes when I turn it on, but it usually finds 3G within a few seconds. I'm loving this phone so far. Hopefully the update fixes this, and nobody will have anything to complain about anymore. I must say that the 4G is fast when it's on. I couldn't believe how fast the pages load. Can't wait till they get all the bugs worked out of that, and it's everywhere. Going from the OG to this is like going from a 74 Ford Pinto to a 2011 Corvette. There's really no comparison.

Ozzie

Reaction score
I've been reading around a bit, and it has yet to be decided if the weak radio on the Nexus can be resolved properly with a an update. Since I am not quite in a rush to upgrade I'm going to sit tight and see how this resolves.
I sure do love how the devs have hopped onto this unit. Someone will fix it...and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a dev comes up with it.