1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

how is the camera?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mark5hs, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mark5hs

mark5hs New Member

I remember reading reviews that said that the camera lagged and didn't work well. Is it better now that there have been updates?
  2. Mamaperk

Mamaperk New Member

NO! I didn't get a chance to really use the camera before the first update came through because I got my DROID on 12/8 and my update came through two nights later ... but the camera/software stinks if ya ask me! Terrible! Not a deal breaker for me but I am hoping it gets better with the 2.1 update if that ever rolls out.
  3. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

The camera is just an app. There are plenty of replacement camera apps in the market.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm not a photographer, nor do I have a very keen eye for photography. Having said that it looks fine to me. I mean it is a camera on a phone, I don't expect the same pq as you would get with a regular digital camera.
  5. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

its a PHONE...buy a $100 kodak or cybershot if you want something to take quality pics quick. no ones gonna be happy with the camera when they think they deserve dSLR quality out of a $200 or less phone.
  6. mark5hs

mark5hs New Member

Alright, thanks everyone. Was just wondering... I'm probably gonna get the phone either way since it's the only android phone with a keyboard for verizon.
  7. stdesign

stdesign New Member

Yeah, ummm... Be sure to try that keyboard out before you buy. Most folks either love it, or hate it.
  8. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

I neither love it nor hate it. I never use it. I like the virtual keyboard.
  9. iPirate

iPirate New Member

The camera doesn't lag

The camera is on a phone so not amazing quality but good with good lighting, just like every camera made
  10. MaxBobcat

MaxBobcat New Member

IMO, the droid camera is the best camera phone on the market right now for outdoor photos.

Inside photos are fine, there just needs to be ample lighting.
  11. Mamaperk

Mamaperk New Member

Yeah, it's just a camera on a phone but when they promote the phone with a 5MP camera, dual LED flash, image stabilization and 4X digital zoom. and it still takes pretty crappy pics, I say that's a fail! and IMO, it DOES lag! My daughter has an EnV3 which takes amazing pics - way, way better than my Droid ... We have all heard the argument that it's a camera-phone but hey, the OP asked about the camera and imo, and apparently the opinion of many others, Droid camera kinda sucks! I use my digital camera for photos because the droid unless it's in bright light, just takes lousy pics most of the time. My DD is able to use her EnV3 AS her camera - it's that nice. I just expected more of the Droid.

I've tried a few other apps ... Pro5X, FX Camera, etc ... they may improve the camera slightly but still, it's pretty bad.

The VIDEO part of the Droid camera is pretty sweet however ... I prefer taking video to still pics ... LOVE it!
  12. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

The camera sucks big time . Those people who are saying that it's the best camera phone , or it's just a phone so you shouldn't expect more , they clearly didn't try any of the other 5 MP phones out there . The only thing good on this camera is video in perfect conditions , any variation from perfect lighting and you will get more noise than a 4 years old 2 MP phone .
    As for low light picture or video capabilities , these are nonexistent , never meet this on any other phone in the last 3 years . If you don't believe take any other phone at your choice and try to take a video in a dark room , and then compare with the Droid , pure humiliation .
  13. mark5hs

mark5hs New Member

Hmm... the flash it advertises doesn't help?
  14. MaxBobcat

MaxBobcat New Member

Here's a pic I took with my Droid. I think this is a pretty good quality pic.

[​IMG]
  15. rockinfigs

rockinfigs New Member

are you serious?? nokia n82..or any other nokia camera phones blow the droid out of the water for indoor and outdoor pics
  16. MaxBobcat

MaxBobcat New Member

As for outdoor pics, do you really need anything higher quality than the example I posted above? You might, but personally I don't. If I do want anything better than that I, ya know, use an actual camera and not my phone. Outdoor pics look fine to me.

As for indoor pics, there is much left to be desired with the output, but with decent light and a photographer who knows what they're doing, the pics turn out OK. Not great, but OK.

$.02
  17. Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001 New Member

the camera takes good pics outdoors in med-bright light. Indoor pics are grainy.
    Heres a pic i took yesterday at the park around noon

[​IMG]
  18. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

This is a camera phone not a photographer camera . It's meant to be that camera you always have with you so it can take quick snapshots from life , and it fails miserably from this point of view . There are a lot of situations when the lighting is not perfect , or the subject perfectly still . You don't get to set up scene lights for a quick snapshot in a pub for example . In low light conditions it performs way worse than any other smartphone at the same level , Omnia , Omnia 2 , Droid Eris , Touch Pro 2 , HTC HD2 , EnV3, Nokia N95 , BB Storm and these are only a few from the long list of phones I've tested and compared .
    And if you think the difference consist of only grainier images , here are some examples :
    ERIS :

DROID:

Nokia n95:

DROID:
  19. zakany

zakany New Member

The included camera app is a weak point.
  20. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter New Member

I love the Droid camera.

Here are some pictures I took in the woods yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Search tags for this page

s4 camera ratio setting