how is nandroid different after i flashed ese53 with the sbf?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by tktouch12, Mar 7, 2010.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i used the sbf to go to 2.1, then i rooted and installed sprecovery
    does this change anything when using nandroid? or can i still flash any nandroid rom? do they have to be 2.1 roms? is it any different than just flashing a rom on 2.0.1?
    also, is it a bad idea to use the sbf to go to 2.1 like i did? its running really nice, but would it be a good idea to go back to 2.0.1, the do a nandroid to bb 2.1?
    thanks

edit: really what my question is- can i go flash-happy on this flashing nandroids. the main one i want to konw about is when the senseui rom comes out it will probably be a nandroid, will that nandroid play nicely with the 2.1 files that were installed when i flahsed with the sbf?
  2. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I wouldn't think nandroid would be any different between the versions considering most of the 2.1 ROMs require you to use a nandroid backup to get to 2.1 from 2.0.1.

nandroid makes a complete image of the different files, so essentially you are making a custom image based on what's on the phone.

I'm not sure how the update.zip ROM flashes work exactly, but it seems they need you to be flashed to the new version. I don't think the update.zip versions effect the system files the way the nandroid install versions do.

I haven't personally attempted to use a nandroid backup to go back to 2.0.1, but in theory it seems like it would work. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

If you've used the sbf file to flash to 2.1, you could, I'm assuming, use the sbf file to flash back to 2.0.1 if push came to shove.

I'm going to go see if I can use my 2.0.1 nandroid backup, I'll be back when I'm done.
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah you can flash a 2.0.1 nandroid from 2.1...it's literally not any different than what we have been doing the past couple months with the crappy 2.1

And nerdbox, an update.zip *does* effect the system files just in a different method. system.tar and boot.img are located in an update.zip just like in a nandroid. But, there are other files in there, like META-INF, and script files, that run commands to mount /system and format /system and all that good stuff lol The commands are already placed in there in a way that the phone reads them, and uses the files contained within the package to act out the commands...
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

is there really any disadvantage to using the sbf over nandroid? besides the possibility of killing your phone, but how big of a concern is that?
  5. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

so if i were to nandroid to a 2.0.1 rom (never ever ever would) would there even be a way to know i was originally on the 2.1 sbf? or nothing really changes but deep deep radio/system files?
  6. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I did just successfully go back to 2.0.1 Smoked Glass, then went back to 2.1 Ultimate.

I don't think there is a disadvantage perse, I think you lose your data too, but usually when you want to do all this you should be starting fresh.

I read of one instance someone actually broke a phone with sbf... It's all experimental to an extent for anyone who doesn't do these things for a living or learned enough to make a ROM. Basically we are trusting in these methods and hoping it works out correctly. Hell, we could just as easily break our phone by dumping it down a toilet... :p
  7. RoLa

RoLa New Member

This is the way that I want to do it, I've been having force closes, random boot looping, etc. I know it could be all in my head, but I think it's from all the rom jumping I've been doing and all the other patches I've done. I am currently running BB V0.6, with chevys1.2 kernel, an update.zip for the smoke notification bar, MM theme for the smoke Launcher, and the desire theme via MM, for other smoke applications. My question here is, Did you have to call verizon to hook the device back up? What procedures did you take to run the files. Thanks
  8. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

So nate, why won't the update.zips work? That's what I can't seem to understand, but that probably because I don't know this as well as you and the other devs do.

Edit: Just to clarify, I understand update.zip changes system, but like I said, I think it's in a different way than the nandroid. I get the information gets to it, but not the same route?
  9. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i did it to start fresh also. you just hit the activate button when the phone turns on (like when you first got it) and it does it all for you. its pretty simple to do, but it was really scary because it kept getting stuck, and i've used rsdlite before
  10. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

rsdlite is a flaky program.
  11. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

really? flaky as in, it might randomly brick your droid permanently? because it got stuck a couple times, and came up with an error at the end, and i was really scared.
  12. adrynalyne

I don't know. I've had it breakdown on me about 5 times. Twice my phone reboted with a code corrupt message. But I was always able to get back.
  13. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

o wow, you've actually had it quit in the middle? that would freak me out. did you just have to try again? i've only used it once for my droid, but i've used it for my moto q9c a couple times.
    what would have to happen for it to get completely bricked by this, so i know? does anyone know for sure what step has to get messed up? or is it any really?
  14. adrynalyne

Yep, had to do a battery pull. I was a little freaked.

For this process to totally hose you, it would have to corrupt the bootloader flash mode. If that goes, then there is nothing left but the crying. Can it happen? Maybe. I am not for certain.
  15. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I wish I could find the post, someone said they actually killed their phone with RSDLite and the sbf file.

Do I know that 100% for sure? No, I wasn't there, they could have lied, but I don't see why they would have.

The problem is, I can't find the post outlining exactly what was done.
  16. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I used rsdlite for only 2.0.1 sbf files after modifying the M logo -- Ive flashed my phone about 10 times -- but never had a bad experience.
  17. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

so my only other quesion is: when the senseui rom comes out it will probably be a nandroid, so will it work with the sbf of 2.1? i dont know why it wouldnt, but will it be looking for 2.0.1 and then not work?
  18. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Anyone who has nandroid on their droid can use it to go between any and all backups made with nandroid on a Droid. Period. It will work just fine.

Of course, if you start mixing and matching the boot, system, and data images from different nandroid backups, that is a different story. But a BDS nandroid from any functioning Droid will (should!) work exactly the same on any other functioning Droid.