How important is lte or 4g to you?

loki993

Reaction score
I used to want 4G really, really badly. Then the Netflix app came out for the Droid, and I found I could watch TV episodes on my lunch breaks at work without problems. Now 4G doesn't seem so necessary for me.

I'd definitely prefer 4G, but I've realized I could live with a 3G SGSII for two years, no problem. Besides, all the reviews of the SII I've read praise its battery life, which would not be the case with 4G.

Also, this is my own conclusion from reading multiple articles on the 'net, but Samsung would have to alter the chipset to accomodate 4G, thus making the phone thicker/heavier and further delaying its release on Verizon.

Come on, Verizon! Where's the SII? I'm trying to give you my money, just freakin' take it already!

Yep.

Id take a better 3G phone over a worse 4G phone.
I would like 4G, but it really isn't too much of a difference.
3G plays youtube fine, netflix fine, browsing speeds are fine.
And I am by WIFI hotspots most of the day.

Plus, battery is better with 3G.

Well you all must be in good 3g areas, its been pretty terrible for me wherever Ive been.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well 3g data speed depend not only on the coverage area but the radios in a phone. I get fast 1.1mbs on the Inc2 where I would get .5 on other phones..so I am content with 3g because that is fast enough to do what I need. My cousin has the Charge and we are on the edge of the 4g area and she is only getting between 1-2mbs with her 4g phone. The Verizon map shows that we are clearly in 4g too, just on the edge of the coverage map.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well 3g data speed depend not only on the coverage area but the radios in a phone. I get fast 1.1mbs on the Inc2 where I would get .5 on other phones..so I am content with 3g because that is fast enough to do what I need. My cousin has the Charge and we are on the edge of the 4g area and she is only getting between 1-2mbs with her 4g phone. The Verizon map shows that we are clearly in 4g too, just on the edge of the coverage map.

4g is still young over the 2 year contract hers will be a lot faster..... and for ppl in already fast areas it might get a little slower since there will be more 4g phones

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nikecar

Reaction score
I was split between an LG revolution and the Inc2. I wanted to buffer myself against outdated tech so I liked the 4G phone, but the form factor and the.speediness of the Inc2 clinched it for me. Coming from a feature phone, 3g is fine. I can understand those already with droids from the start. Next phone will be 4g no matter what

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
4G will be the deciding factor on my next phone. I really want the SGS2.

SSX v2.0

JRParsons

Reaction score
Will never go back to 3G. 4G is stupid fast. If I here a song on the radio, and I like it, it is on one of my playlists within 60 seconds sometimes within 30. For those that are not in a 4G area, you will be soon. Since 4G does not require new sites, the process is relatively quick compared to a new tower or collocation. When a new carrier expands into an area it is a slow arduous process of leasing multiple sights. This is not the case with signal upgrades, as shown by Verizon's addition of 4GLTE areas every couple of months.

Sent from my Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Will never go back to 3G. 4G is stupid fast. If I here a song on the radio, and I like it, it is on one of my playlists within 60 seconds sometimes within 30. For those that are not in a 4G area, you will be soon. Since 4G does not require new sites, the process is relatively quick compared to a new tower or collocation. When a new carrier expands into an area it is a slow arduous process of leasing multiple sights. This is not the case with signal upgrades, as shown by Verizon's addition of 4GLTE areas every couple of months.

Um....are you sure it takes 60 seconds?
I downloaded a 5.2 MB song in under 45 on 3G.

I am pretty sure 4G LTE would download faster than that....

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't think that's possible on 3G. I have never had download speeds that fast on my phone or tethering.

SSX v2.0

JRParsons

Reaction score

Downloaded AND ADDED TO A PLAYLIST, at least 25 seconds to add it to the playlist.
To tell you the truth I never timed it, but I've had 3g for a few years and 4g for 6 months, and I'm 100% confident that the 4g is faster. It rivals my Xfinity internet, but before anybody starts thowing MBPS speeds at me, again, I have never timed any of them.

Bottom line, I've had 3G and 4G, I like 4G better and would most likely not get a phone without it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Takes five seconds max to download a song for me.

3G is a joke in my phone. I can't even stream a high quality video without buffering and waiting like an hour to start.

Tegamal

Reaction score
I'm still weighing between the SII & the Bionic as my new phone once my upgrade comes around next month. 4G is mighty impressive, but I haven't seen Motorola bring out a solid phone since my D1.

Xerrus

Reaction score
Last edited:

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

tc3

Reaction score
I would greatly prefer 4G but with my thunderbolt I have it turned off most of the time anyway.

Still I would like the option of 4G.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Anyone that buys a new Verizon phone today that's not 4G capable is foolish. Even if your area doesn't have 4G now, in the 2 years you will have your "new" 3G phone there is a good chance that it will.

And what about when you travel? all major cities will have it and so will all the airports.

If the SII doesn't have 4G no way in hell will I buy it, I don't care what the screen looks like etc. And in the Bionic turns out to be a dog I can wait till a better 4G phone comes out.

Ron W.