How important is lte or 4g to you?

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
The thing with 4g is why do people need that fast of an internet connection on their phone? 3g does video chat and internet streaming fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
The thing with 4g is why do people need that fast of an internet connection on their phone? 3g does video chat and internet streaming fine.

One example for me would be if you want to download a movie before you get onto a plane.
4G will be able to finish it MUCH faster. I even think VZ might have had a commercial using that example...

But really, 4G is just 3G. Except it does everything like 20+ times faster.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use to think I needed 4g. But after evaluating my use I didn't. I have never needed internet that fast in my life. It would be good if one was downloading gigs of data. But who does that really. With 3g pages already load in seconds. Video and music streaming are also fine with 3g. 4g is overkill but if a good phone comes out with 4g I am not going to turn it away. But currently the 3g phones are better than the 4g. I will never sacrifice battery life for absurd internet speeds. A small bump to 2mbs would be good enough for me.

Sent from my fascinate

SupraRZ95

Reaction score

One example for me would be if you want to download a movie before you get onto a plane.
4G will be able to finish it MUCH faster. I even think VZ might have had a commercial using that example...

But why not already have movies on your 16gb+ SD card that you dl from home ? I would be prepared for a long plane flight. Ima agree with the poster above me. 4g is just too fast for phones. Even airports besides major ones have wifi. Although it sometimes cost money; 4g is just crazy.

Snow02

Reaction score

1. LTE travels on the 700 mhz band, which travels further and better penetrates buildings - so you'll get better coverage everywhere.

2. Video chat, while it may function, it does not function well at average evdo speeds.

3. Evdo is as fast as ~ 2.5 mbps which would be acceptable for most purposes, but on average is much slower, around 1 mbps. And often slower than that. That's pitiful.

4. A personal example is my use of play on. I can access my entire movie collection from anywhere. It plays ok over 3G. It will play great over 4G (as it does over wifi). With hdmi mirroring, I'll have a 300+ movie collection in my pocket, playable on any tv. That's pretty cool I think. And there's a lot of slingbox users that will definitely appreciate 4G as well.

5. File downloads! More speed = better. But that one is obvious.

6. My time is valuable. Anything that let's me do what I'm doing faster is always a plus.

7. For the apps and services we don't even know we want on mobile yet. More capability means more possibilities.

Last edited:

GSdub510

Reaction score
Don't care for 4G, I'm mostly on wifi when I watch or download things anyway. 3G is perfectly fine for checking FB and email on the go. I'm getting this phone regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

reuuin88

Reaction score
On my thunderbolt when I'm in a 3g area makes me wanna claw my eyes out waiting impatiently to load pages. I would say it's the key factor in my decision for my next phone. So I'd say its very important. Lol.

broderp

Reaction score
I use to think I needed 4g. But after evaluating my use I didn't. I have never needed internet that fast in my life. It would be good if one was downloading gigs of data. But who does that really. With 3g pages already load in seconds. Video and music streaming are also fine with 3g. 4g is overkill but if a good phone comes out with 4g I am not going to turn it away. But currently the 3g phones are better than the 4g. I will never sacrifice battery life for absurd internet speeds. A small bump to 2mbs would be good enough for me.

Sent from my fascinate

But why not already have movies on your 16gb+ SD card that you dl from home ? I would be prepared for a long plane flight. Ima agree with the poster above me. 4g is just too fast for phones. Even airports besides major ones have wifi. Although it sometimes cost money; 4g is just crazy.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I'll wait two years for 4G to come down in price. My $50 Facinate will do just fine for the foreseable future.

I'm curious to how all this speed will affect all those people who will now be tempted to download more...because they can and with the new tiered data packages......:icon_ banana:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g is a must...I'd never leave vze over a phone.... I'll get the next best 4g

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
How anyone can say something is too fast is crazy to me lol. Your Internet can never be too fast. The extra cost is like a hundred bucks which is nothing, especially if you think about the fact that it's over 2 years. Now I can see that some might not need those speeds, but personally I would prefer them. However 4g isn't available in my area so the Galaxy SII would be my first choice but it's taking too long to come out and the rumors aren't making me hopeful that it'll be soon. Streaming will work fine on 3g but I think things would load a lot faster on 4g. I don't see how you could not be impressed by 4g whether it's true 4g or not it's still faster than most people's home connection. Just my .02.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I used to want 4G really, really badly. Then the Netflix app came out for the Droid, and I found I could watch TV episodes on my lunch breaks at work without problems. Now 4G doesn't seem so necessary for me.

I'd definitely prefer 4G, but I've realized I could live with a 3G SGSII for two years, no problem. Besides, all the reviews of the SII I've read praise its battery life, which would not be the case with 4G.

Also, this is my own conclusion from reading multiple articles on the 'net, but Samsung would have to alter the chipset to accomodate 4G, thus making the phone thicker/heavier and further delaying its release on Verizon.

Come on, Verizon! Where's the SII? I'm trying to give you my money, just freakin' take it already!

kurumatt

Reaction score
I live in FL, and the LTE market down here has excellent coverage pretty much anywhere you go. Im in orlando 60hrs+ a week so I may as well have a 4g phone and take advantage of it.

I def would like this phone over a bionic, but it just doesnt seem as if its going to come to verizon anytime soon.

I had my hopes that the D3 would have had lte, now I'm waiting on the bionic. I will pick that up and if the s2 comes out a few months later(with lte), I'll just sell the bionic and pick up the s2.

loki993

Reaction score
I wouldnt leave becasue if it, but if a phone doesnt have 4G it is no longer is of any interest to me. Its a dealbreaker. It can be the best thing since sliced bread, but no 4G no way. 2 years is a long time to build the 4g network. Verizon will have most major areas coverd by the end of next year I believe, so you all can pass on it if you want.

Battery life? how about just an option to turn it off, that should solve that problem.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I used to want 4G really, really badly. Then the Netflix app came out for the Droid, and I found I could watch TV episodes on my lunch breaks at work without problems. Now 4G doesn't seem so necessary for me.

I'd definitely prefer 4G, but I've realized I could live with a 3G SGSII for two years, no problem. Besides, all the reviews of the SII I've read praise its battery life, which would not be the case with 4G.

Also, this is my own conclusion from reading multiple articles on the 'net, but Samsung would have to alter the chipset to accomodate 4G, thus making the phone thicker/heavier and further delaying its release on Verizon.

Come on, Verizon! Where's the SII? I'm trying to give you my money, just freakin' take it already!

Yep.

Id take a better 3G phone over a worse 4G phone.
I would like 4G, but it really isn't too much of a difference.
3G plays youtube fine, netflix fine, browsing speeds are fine.
And I am by WIFI hotspots most of the day.

Plus, battery is better with 3G.