How I'm Getting Great Gingerbread Performance

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by bigee1212, Apr 19, 2011.

1. litso

litso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    debug.sf.hw=1 doesn't enable the GPU per se, that's always enabled. It simply tells the phone to use the GPU for rendering the UI and animations, as opposed to the CPU. This is why it seems to make swiping and scrolling seem much snappier. It could account for the lower quandrant score also, being that the GPU is taking on an additional load, resulting in fewer resources for the 3D render tests that quadrant performs.

2. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the clarification!

3. travelsize

travelsize New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the debug.sf.hw =1 and everything seemed to be working very smoothly. But when I tried to play a video, the sound would work fine but the picture seemed to be frozen. Anyone else encounter this? Or maybe I did something wrong when entering tthe line in build.prop?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I take it we should probably reboot after applying the change/changes to the /system/build.prop file? Regarding the lcd.density, I think that is a pretty useful tweak that can have it's benefits in certain situations, but at 210 my keyboard was just soooo freaking small in portrait mode haha, I thought I had the tiny cellphone from Zoolander.:)

#28 meishkov, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lmao yeah the keyboard does change in size unfortunately, but when i got used to 210, going back to 240 seemed strange. 210 is what i can type on comfortably now.

6. defdans

defdans New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've recently rooted my Droid, flashed CM 7.0.3, and installed Prime's kernel with a max of 1.1 ghz on vsel 70. In setCPU i've just been using 1.0 ghz as the highest setting though. Phone is waaay more responsive than ever before. I'm very happy overall.

My only issue is that ever since I flashed CM 7 (started on CM 7.0.2) I've missed some text messages and I'm still getting pretty frequent redraws. Additionally, Screebl shuts down pretty regularly. Obviously, that's not good. Apparently this is because Gingerbread uses too much RAM for the OG Droid? I've seen a few posters talking about the Supercharge script and the build.prop edit. The supercharge script seems pretty simple....looks like you just run it through Scriptmanager and it does the rest. Is that correct?

Can you or somebody explain (step by step) how to do the build.prop edit?

Also, are there any potential negatives to the supercharge script or the build.prop edit? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm really good at following directions, but i'm still learning some of the terminology. Some of the instructions out there are still a bit overwhelming to me.

Thanks in advance.

7. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea you just run Script manager and find the file, click the 3 boxes that say interactive, set on boot, and run as root. The rest will explain itself once you run it. For the missing txt message thing, go into CyanogenMod settings and make sure that Lock Messaging in memory is checked.

For the build.prop thing, do yourself a favor and get Root Explorer from the market, only like a buck or 2, but well well worth it. It's basically like windows explorer but for android. Now open it and accept the su permission box, then navigate to /system/ then make sure at the top that it's R/W, if not just click the R/O box, which is read-write and read-only of course. Then long-press on the build.prop file, and scroll down to Open in Text Editor, then scroll down and make the necessary changes. Then hit the menu key, and click Save & Exit.
    It'll automatically backup your original file as build.prop.bak as it will add .bak to every file you edit and save, just to let you know so you can undo any future changes.
    And for the Script manager supercharge thing from zepp over at XDA, one of the 16 options that are available once you run it, 1 of them is to undo all changes made. Hope this covers everything.:)

8. AlphaMack

AlphaMack Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ahhh...yes. Guess I never thought of that, that the OS just loads everything in the /etc/init.d/ folder during bootup, which is where the file gets created of course. I'm going to uncheck that right now:)

10. defdans

defdans New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks meishkov and AlphaMack!

Did the above and everything looks good so far. Although I noticed that the Netflix app doesn't seem to like the new changes much. Video is just very choppy, even on Wifi. any guess as to which change would have caused that? Or is there a quick way to change something through the supercharger script that will make netflix streaming smoother?

11. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Only thing I can think of is maybe the minfree parameters got set too low. In my experience, it seems in gingerbread in general, I'll only have around 20 or so MB of free RAM according to running services and various other things, sometimes less. I'm just guessing here but it seems like when there's that little amount of memory, that high memory hog apps seem like they're getting killed constantly as they're trying to keep running. Like laggyness when hitting any menu keys. This is just a theory of mine, but it seems that way if an app gets placed in 1 of the last 6 slots of android's memory.

Like for me this happens all the time with the Browser. If say the minfree levels are set at like 6,8,10,12,14,16 and if I only have say 11MB free, the Browser becomes basically unusable. After a fresh reboot, when it stays in memory after getting started immediately, in running services I've seen it take up as much as 37MB of memory. After a reboot I usually only have around 40MB or so of free memory, and that gets shrunk very quickly.

Only things that are really bugging me at this point. I've heard setting up a swap partition can help with this kind of issue, but I haven't got all those details on setting it up smoothed out quite yet.

Edit: forgot to mention, 1 of the 16 options in that script is to undo all the changes made, then if you just want the hard to kill launcher you can just apply that.

#35 meishkov, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  12. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    honestly, swap and compcache are nothing but headaches on my phone, so im sticking with the zeplinrox script for good memory management, minfree 6, 8, 24, 26, 28, 30.

and then i decided to use stock apps only (like messaging browser...) because i figure messaging is always locked in memory why use another memory hog like handcent or go sms. . . but then i read somewhere that the stock browser doesnt take advantage of the hardware acceleration fix i posted (build.prop edit). so i tried dolphin hd again after not using it for a while, and its extremely smooth scrolling which leads me to believe that it now takes advantage of that hardware acceleration... again this could all be in my head. but for those of you that tried the build.prop edit, give dolphin hd a go, super quick, and should get killed while running flash (have yet to test with pandora in the background to see how multitasking works).

Search tags for this page
android gingerbread tweaks
build prop tweaks for gingerbread

debug.sf.hw

debug.sf.hw=1

gingerbread performance
gingerbread performance tweaks
gingerbread tweaks
performance tweaks for gingerbread
tweak gingerbread
tweaks for gingerbread