How I'm Getting Great Gingerbread Performance

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by bigee1212, Apr 19, 2011.

1. superblah

superblah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you elaborate on that local.prop part?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. prime

prime Kernel Developer
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +74
    That is the exact opposite of how bumblebee functions, it should ramp up to the fastest (available in the kernel - ie the maximum currently set by setcpu or other methods) slot soon as the CPU is 'awaken'. Do you have custom slots?

3. Lewis137

Lewis137 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like some elaboration on the local.prop part. Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well if you install an app like auto memory manager, it can tell u your running processes and their OOM value. the lower the oom value, the longer it stays in memory... a lot of info can be found on this post on xda

[GScript v5] SuperCharge & Bulletproof Your Milestone & Droid ! Now STOCK ROMS Too!! - xda-developers

basically adding the line

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=0

in data/local.prop. you can set its OOM value to 0. and it probably wont die.. i would go thru that page and read it. a lot of stuff in the beginnnig is older information, his newer setups are towards the bottom.

5. lucky151

lucky151 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your sharing . I have used swapper to in my bugless 0.6.2.1 (2.2) and I have flashed the chevyno1 lv 1.0g kernel. It seems works fine on my droid.

6. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm going to try the swapper2 method and see if I can push the limits on this thing. What's the consensus on the whether sd card degradation is actually a threat? I've heard some people say that swap partitions will kill your sd card over time and others say there's no solid evidence to suggest this.

What's the major concern here? One day my sd card will just stop working? Become corrupted? What?

Edit: Nevermind, I read this: CM7 - Swap? Compcache? Both?

Edit: Hmmm, I couldn't get swapper2 to work. I could've swore that I set up a swap partition when I reformatted my card. How can I tell if I have one? Should it be inside sd-ext? There's nothing inside that folder.

#18 sbenson, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running my cm7 7.0.3 pretty differently now.

first i use [Script] V6 SuperCharger !! HTK & BulletProof Launchers! FIX MEMORY FOR ALL ANDROIDS! - xda-developers

v6, this is an awesome script with minfree values... 6, 12, 25, 28, 30, 30

using deprimed bumblee gov. at 900. this gives me awesome battery life upward 20 hrs.

as for swap and compcache, ive entirely stopped using swap, too many drawbacks and bugginess on my phone, still using 18% compcache.

lastly, the thing that is truly making my phone fly, (and i thought it was enabled by default...)

build.prop edit:

in the openGL section add the line

debug.sf.hw=1

it should be right before ro.opengles.version = ######

this is an awesome mod, also while ur in there you can permantly change the density too i made mine 210. launcherpro seriously flies with this enabled, and the scrolling and overall responsiveness is much better.. i dunno if its just in my head or not, but def try this on your phone.

8. litso

litso Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just made this mod and I can confirm that it definitely smooths out scrolling and other things. I noticed it primarily in the new Google Music app. When you go into landscape mode in album view, without the mod the scrolling was laggy and it took awhile for new album art to load. With this mod scrolling is buttery smooth and album art loads almost as fast as I can scroll. It also seems to have sped up the phone in other ways too. I attribute this to much of the UI stuff being offloaded to the GPU, allowing the CPU more cycles for other things. Thanks for the heads up!

9. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    What do these two changes do? Also, where are they located?

Edit: Ok, I found it in /system/build.prop. Still curious what each of these mods do?

When referring to density, are you talking about the file: ro.sf.lcd_density=240? Change this to 210? What's this do?

#21 sbenson, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  10. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0

glad it worked! from what i have read, it can cause artifacting on some phones, so for anyone that is willing to try this, please make a backup just in case.

11. bigee1212

bigee1212 Member

Ratings:
    +0

from what i can tell, the debug.sf.hw=1 can either be a value of 0 or 1. 0 is where the mod is disabled, and 1 is where it is enabled. it supposedly activates the gpu in the droid (still need verification on this).

the density mod is like resolution on your computer screen. 240 is the default. lowering the value gives you more desktop space (makes the icons smaller). 210 is what i have found to be a good value. if you dont want to permantly change this value, try LCD Density in the market. it makes the mod but it won't persist on hard reboot. good luck

12. Artimis

Artimis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting....it could be placebo effect but setting debug.sf.hw=1 seems to have made a difference. Then again, my phones performance is always pretty good after a reboot for a few hours at least.

Quandrant doesn't agree with it though....my score went down but then again, I don't really give much credence to Quandrant. It really doesn't seem to be an accurate reflection of real-world performance.

Search tags for this page
android gingerbread tweaks
build prop tweaks for gingerbread

debug.sf.hw

debug.sf.hw=1

gingerbread performance
gingerbread performance tweaks
gingerbread tweaks
performance tweaks for gingerbread
tweak gingerbread
tweaks for gingerbread