How I'm Getting Great Gingerbread Performance

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by bigee1212, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bigee1212

bigee1212 New Member

Hey guys. Everyone seems to have a lot of trouble running gingerbread smoothly, and I just wanted to write out everything I did to get really good performance.

CM7 RC4 with deprimed kernel #16 bumblebee

First was to disable lock home in memory and use the local.prop line and make it =0 instead of =1. Your launcher will never die (i use launcher pro)

Have a swap partition ready on your sd card and use swapper2 with a 64 mb swap file and 30 swappiness. Compcache enabled as well at 18%.

This gives my droid over 300 mb of total usable memory. Extremely fluid.

Using auto memory manager or autokilller use these minfree values.
    6, 8, 24, 26, 28, 30.

Music in the background, navigation, flash on a webpage. . . my droid now handles everything!

the only downside is that swap is supposedly killing the sd card. ive heard conflicting facts on this and ive run into no trouble using these settings for about a week.

and battery life at 15-20 hrs. NOT BAD IMO.

EDIT:

Running my cm7 7.0.3 pretty differently now.

first i use [Script] V6 SuperCharger !! HTK & BulletProof Launchers! FIX MEMORY FOR ALL ANDROIDS! - xda-developers

v6, this is an awesome script with minfree values... 6, 12, 25, 28, 30, 30

using deprimed bumblee gov. at 900. this gives me awesome battery life upward 20 hrs.

as for swap and compcache, ive entirely stopped using swap, too many drawbacks and bugginess on my phone, still using 18% compcache.

lastly, the thing that is truly making my phone fly, (and i thought it was enabled by default...)

build.prop edit:

in the openGL section add the line

debug.sf.hw=1

it should be right before ro.opengles.version = ######

this is an awesome mod, also while ur in there you can permantly change the density too i made mine 210. launcherpro seriously flies with this enabled, and the scrolling and overall responsiveness is much better.. i dunno if its just in my head or not, but def try this on your phone.
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

+1

Kernels: I used deprimed and primed kernels for a few weeks with RC4 and it got sluggish and less snappy overtime, and the battery life seemed to be wasting away. I moved back to my favorite all time slayher kernel (1.2g) a few days ago and am not experiencing the above at all, woot!

Overall though this ROM is running very smoothly and I only get the occasional FC from ADW. But otherwise I can't seem to break this ROM at all, it's incredible. Not sure where all the problems are. Can't wait for the D1 final release!
  3. DigiK

DigiK New Member

There's no doubt CVPCS is creating a masterpiece in the OG Droid CM7 Final. He deserves a lot of credit for really digging into the issues associated with having an EOL'd phone and no open-source proprietaries from Moto. Nightly #42 will include the true 3g data fix with only camcorder & BT voice command bugs remaining. I've noticed overall system fluidity improve over the run of nightlies, which I've been flashing over top of each other without issue.

Giving Bigee a +1 on this, as my own testing yielded those same swap settings. My setup differs in that I haven't found the min free tweaks necessary and prefer to give the system the ability to swap out LP. Full home-app kills are very rare with CC + swap.

I do recommend a swap partition vs a swap file, as it seems to yield better performance and less headaches with On/Off states & SD card mounting.

Zero, have you tried the ULV mode along with an edit of the initialization script in deprimed? Try using Prime's default values and editing the top slot to 1200@76v. That should give you what you need. :)
  4. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

No sir, I have been out of the scene and just trying defaults actually... do you have links for any of these or should I just set the values themselves? I'll be honest this sounds very promising, do tell :) dancedroid

I didn't even know there was a ULV for (de)primed... he's so generic in his releases, and I barely read the posts since I login once now and then.
  5. DigiK

DigiK New Member

The nomenclature is admittedly a little confusing, but start by downloading http://bit.ly/deprimed_test and flash it. (Kernel reports as #33 in About phone)

After reboot, go into terminal emulator. Get superuser by typing "su" and pressing return, then "primed". ULV overclock voltages will be loaded, which includes a top slot of 900@60v, along with an overclock initialization script that you can edit to your liking.

Use bumblebee or on-demand+sleep profile governors. Bumblebee provides snappy performance with automatic throttle to the lowest slot in sleep mode. I prefer Bumblebee's snappiness, but it's on par with on-demand (without a sleep profile) at best due to it ramping up more quickly. It trades a bit of battery life, but that's what spare batteries are for, right? dancedroid

Prime's kernel is very high performance, and 900 is quite acceptable for most people from a performance standpoint, but if you want to go further, you can tweak the kernel higher by manually editing the slots in the initialization script.

Before committing changes to the script, you'll want to test your max slot and voltage. Install Prime's modified Milestone overclock app here: http://bit.ly/dpoverclock In the app, you can adjust your top slot and voltage on the fly. Try 1200@76. Stress test with setcpu.

Once you're sure of your top slot, you can edit the script to make the changes permanent and automatic. (you won't need to use Milestone overclock app every time) Navigate to /system/etc/init.d/ with Root Explorer and edit the 20overclock file in the text editor. Looking at the file, the slots will be listed in ascending order. Scroll down to the entry 'echo "60"'. 60 is the voltage, 900000 is the top slot. Change those to 76 and 1200000 respectively or whatever you decide on, and save the file.

From my tests, there's not much appreciable performance difference between 1100 and 1200 due to logarithmic drop off, but some have stable Droids and like to brag. ;) Also keep in mind that you might also want to alter slot 6 to 900, for instance, as an intermediate ramp-up to avoid jumping all the way up to Slot 7@1100 from slot 6@800. Gradating these steps can have a positive effect on battery life.

Use Pete's average voltage chart as a baseline in tuning your slots. Peter Alfonso

Cheers!
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

God I hate you guys. I have wanted to run Cyanogen since I got my first Droid. But no.....I was scared and didn't root. Now I have Droid 2.....I have flashed dozens of times....but Cyanogen isn't for the D2 and it drives me nuts. I have heard over and over that it is the best.

I HATE YOU GUYS!!!!

ok....not really....just super jealous that's all. Come on Team CM.....drop me a D2 version PLEASE!!!!

Does anyone know if those settings in OP would work for D2 enhancements? Or is there a modified way I could do so?
  7. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Short tutorial on setting up the swap partition?
  8. jengas kahn

jengas kahn New Member

DigiK, nice little write up! but i think you meant to say run "primed" in terminal to get the ulv settings. "deprimed" is a script you can use for setting the kernel back to its stock voltages and deleting the 20overclock file in the /etc/init.d folder.
  9. bigee1212

bigee1212 New Member

extremely easy IMO. just a note: swap may not be for everyone and it may not work well with your phone.

1. Make sure you are rooted, and using rom manager, partition your sd card. It will make a seperate ext partition and also a swap partition. I made this partition the largest size offered. Another note, you will need either a blank sd card or not mind it getting formatted by rom manager.

2. after reboot, install swapper2 from the market. In settings, use what you would like. A good start might be 32 mb with 10 swappiness. i personally use 64 mb with 30 swappiness. in advanced settings, check off use swap partition.

3. then all you have to do is hit on! you might have to hit menu -> swap -> create. but try just hitting on first. i have swapper2 run at startup

4. terminal emulator

'free'

and check your swap space. assuming you have compcache disabled, it should show you your swap partition exactly as you set in swapper2

good luck
  10. bigee1212

bigee1212 New Member

For thos who are testing out my settings . I changed it up. A bit. Stopped using compcache to free up cpu resources and changed to interactive governor. Bumblebee takes some time to ramp up the cpu from sleep causing initial sluggishness on my droid

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  11. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Thank you Bigee,

I may be trying that shortly, so far I'm happy with the performance I get at 800 with compcache (Or I just don't run mine ragged hehehe) though I wouldn't mind a 900, most likely I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Will be saving stuff from the card this week, but also awaiting #42 to enjoy CVPCS's efforts.

I did check the latest release of GPA (4/20) which has this latest fix and I can confirm it is fixed, though by looking at winners thread, it may also depend on what kernal you are running with his build.

I figure #42 with the included kernal will work fine with the fix, looks like some ADw tweeking was done as well for app drawer scrolling and zoom.
  12. DigiK

DigiK New Member

Thanks for catching that, Jengas. It was late when I wrote that last night and the fingers typed the wrong thing. OP updated
  13. superblah

superblah New Member

Could you elaborate on that local.prop part?

14. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

That is the exact opposite of how bumblebee functions, it should ramp up to the fastest (available in the kernel - ie the maximum currently set by setcpu or other methods) slot soon as the CPU is 'awaken'. Do you have custom slots?
  15. Lewis137

Lewis137 New Member

I would also like some elaboration on the local.prop part. Thanks!

16. bigee1212

bigee1212 New Member

well if you install an app like auto memory manager, it can tell u your running processes and their OOM value. the lower the oom value, the longer it stays in memory... a lot of info can be found on this post on xda

[GScript v5] SuperCharge & Bulletproof Your Milestone & Droid ! Now STOCK ROMS Too!! - xda-developers

basically adding the line

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=0

in data/local.prop. you can set its OOM value to 0. and it probably wont die.. i would go thru that page and read it. a lot of stuff in the beginnnig is older information, his newer setups are towards the bottom.
  17. lucky151

lucky151 New Member

Thanks for your sharing . I have used swapper to in my bugless 0.6.2.1 (2.2) and I have flashed the chevyno1 lv 1.0g kernel. It seems works fine on my droid.
  18. sbenson

sbenson New Member

I'm going to try the swapper2 method and see if I can push the limits on this thing. What's the consensus on the whether sd card degradation is actually a threat? I've heard some people say that swap partitions will kill your sd card over time and others say there's no solid evidence to suggest this.

What's the major concern here? One day my sd card will just stop working? Become corrupted? What?

Edit: Nevermind, I read this: CM7 - Swap? Compcache? Both?

Edit: Hmmm, I couldn't get swapper2 to work. I could've swore that I set up a swap partition when I reformatted my card. How can I tell if I have one? Should it be inside sd-ext? There's nothing inside that folder.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  19. bigee1212

bigee1212 New Member

Running my cm7 7.0.3 pretty differently now.

first i use [Script] V6 SuperCharger !! HTK & BulletProof Launchers! FIX MEMORY FOR ALL ANDROIDS! - xda-developers

v6, this is an awesome script with minfree values... 6, 12, 25, 28, 30, 30

using deprimed bumblee gov. at 900. this gives me awesome battery life upward 20 hrs.

as for swap and compcache, ive entirely stopped using swap, too many drawbacks and bugginess on my phone, still using 18% compcache.

lastly, the thing that is truly making my phone fly, (and i thought it was enabled by default...)

build.prop edit:

in the openGL section add the line

debug.sf.hw=1

it should be right before ro.opengles.version = ######

this is an awesome mod, also while ur in there you can permantly change the density too i made mine 210. launcherpro seriously flies with this enabled, and the scrolling and overall responsiveness is much better.. i dunno if its just in my head or not, but def try this on your phone.
  20. litso

litso New Member

I just made this mod and I can confirm that it definitely smooths out scrolling and other things. I noticed it primarily in the new Google Music app. When you go into landscape mode in album view, without the mod the scrolling was laggy and it took awhile for new album art to load. With this mod scrolling is buttery smooth and album art loads almost as fast as I can scroll. It also seems to have sped up the phone in other ways too. I attribute this to much of the UI stuff being offloaded to the GPU, allowing the CPU more cycles for other things. Thanks for the heads up!
Search tags for this page
android gingerbread performance
android gingerbread tweaks
best swap settings for og droid

debug.sf.hw

debug.sf.hw=1

gingerbread kernel tweaks
gingerbread performance
gingerbread performance tweaks
performance tweaks for gingerbread
tweak android gingerbread
tweak gingerbread