How i went back from 2.2 OTA to 2.1 root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hennbc, Aug 7, 2010.

1. hennbc

hennbc New Member

hello everyone, i know alot of you have been have some issues reguarding the 2.2 update, and going back to 2.1 with root access. For me, it was a bumpy ride so i figure i share what i did, to go back.

So first off, i have a droid, and ive been running the froyo roms since they were first leaked, and ie been loving it. my girfreind juts got a droid 2 days ago, and i immeaditly updated it to the 2.2 OTA thinking it would be way better than the roms. after a while she said she didnt like it and wanted to do all the things i can do with my rooted phone. So me, thinking i can just load up SPrecovery, and them a 2.2 costum rom back on to her phone. i was wrong and all of the sudden she started getting instant forcloses, and the batter would look like it was dead, and got no service. i thought i had messed her phone up for sure, so i tried everything to go back, but nothing was working.

I then got the bright idea of trying to unroot and go back to 2.0.1 via RSDlite. sure enough, i was able to unroot, and go back to stock, using the file i found in this post:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

After loading that i rebooted, and downloaded the ese81 from esd51 from petes website, loaded it via the stock recovery, and now i had 2.1

Lastly, i flashed SPrecovery and loaded up BB .04 and im running great! i hope this helps out anyone having problems downgrading!
  2. mrlivingston

mrlivingston New Member

Awesome, thanks!

I, too, have been un-impressed with the rushed-to-market OTA upgrade. I'm planning to get rid of this 2.2 update, root, and use a custom ROM. I appreciate you getting me started in the right direction!
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

try sapphire...it capitalizes on the speed and does a good job with dealing with some apps that has 2.2 issues (ie pandora).
  4. mrlivingston

mrlivingston New Member

Well worth it

Wow, that's all I can say about Sapphire. The first time I rooted was for an early 'leaked' FroYo ROM, which was disappointing. So I unrooted and went back to the locked down VZW ROM. After forcing the update to 2.2, I found myself wondering what the hubub was all about.

Thanks for turning me on to the Sapphire ROM. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great ROM.