1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How i went back from 2.2 OTA to 2.1 root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hennbc, Aug 7, 2010.

1. hennbc

hennbc New Member

hello everyone, i know alot of you have been have some issues reguarding the 2.2 update, and going back to 2.1 with root access. For me, it was a bumpy ride so i figure i share what i did, to go back.

So first off, i have a droid, and ive been running the froyo roms since they were first leaked, and ie been loving it. my girfreind juts got a droid 2 days ago, and i immeaditly updated it to the 2.2 OTA thinking it would be way better than the roms. after a while she said she didnt like it and wanted to do all the things i can do with my rooted phone. So me, thinking i can just load up SPrecovery, and them a 2.2 costum rom back on to her phone. i was wrong and all of the sudden she started getting instant forcloses, and the batter would look like it was dead, and got no service. i thought i had messed her phone up for sure, so i tried everything to go back, but nothing was working.

I then got the bright idea of trying to unroot and go back to 2.0.1 via RSDlite. sure enough, i was able to unroot, and go back to stock, using the file i found in this post:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

After loading that i rebooted, and downloaded the ese81 from esd51 from petes website, loaded it via the stock recovery, and now i had 2.1

Lastly, i flashed SPrecovery and loaded up BB .04 and im running great! i hope this helps out anyone having problems downgrading!
  2. mrlivingston

mrlivingston New Member

Awesome, thanks!

I, too, have been un-impressed with the rushed-to-market OTA upgrade. I'm planning to get rid of this 2.2 update, root, and use a custom ROM. I appreciate you getting me started in the right direction!
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

try sapphire...it capitalizes on the speed and does a good job with dealing with some apps that has 2.2 issues (ie pandora).
  4. mrlivingston

mrlivingston New Member

Well worth it

Wow, that's all I can say about Sapphire. The first time I rooted was for an early 'leaked' FroYo ROM, which was disappointing. So I unrooted and went back to the locked down VZW ROM. After forcing the update to 2.2, I found myself wondering what the hubub was all about.

Thanks for turning me on to the Sapphire ROM. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great ROM.