How I use the Bugless rom..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cplus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried Beast and Beauty and I get reboots and crashes. EXCEPT when I configured the following way:

Bugless Beauty 0.8.2 - installed using update.zip over a virginoem..
    then I restored my DATA that I've continually backed up forever...
    then used ChevyNo1's great OLD wifi tthhere patcher
    then flashed 800Mhz OC using Nandroid

i know the wifi patcher is updated etc.. I know the roms are updated. but with updates seems come bugs.. sholes 1.0.1 and 1.0 seemed great. updates after that... well..

I bet Chevy's patcher still works great even with the new features. He's good stuff. I just havn't used it. I'm telling you what I've used.

The point of this post is to share the convoluted way that I've achieved a TRUE BUGLESS BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. If someone wants to host Beauty 0.8.2, I will give it to one person. . .. unless somehow there is an objection to that. lol. . I can't seem to find it now. maybe its out there.. it can be.

Anyway, my DROID is running TIP TOP but it was hardly a one step solution. I hope you find your way.

2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When did you try this?? I was just talking with another users and we both started having odd problems today (glitches and booting issues) I finally narrowed it down to SetCPU... I restored to a recent backup and did NOT install SetCPU and the Droid is running GREAT (not that was after 3 failed attempts to restore and install SetCPU).

I don't know if they did an update recently or what but something went crazy with it...

*looks like they released an update of Feb 2... seems to be what broke my system....

3. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running SetCPU just fine! 800MHz is what I've decided is best after trying 1.0 900 950.. I love setcpu for profiles and im tryin to figure out those other settings in it ... but the key is using autodetect to set it up after you flash oc'd boot.img.

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That's the pisser... I was just getting ready to put BB on and OC when I noticed it was on the fritz... took me an hour to figure out that SetCPU was the problem... making me a bit reluctant to put it back on now... I was planning on 800Mhz, seems to be the best all around for performance and stability (and it shouldn't (hopefully) shorten the chip life all that much (I need the phone to last at least a year so not going to high).

5. agent42o

agent42o Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No idea what you're talking about to be honest, when I did my upgrade from beauty to beast I got some random crashes, so I did a wipe and nandroid restore and since then it's been stable as hell. Maybe you have other apps that caused a problem, but I will say from my experience, it's not the rom.

I have Bugless Beast 0.72, 950 MHZ, with wifi tethering, and it's as stable as can be.

Also, if you have found any issues, you should talk to pete over at alldroid, he's very interested in working out an issues with his ROM, and honestly, other than people who have screwed up installing it, this is the first real complaint I have heard.

6. windmeup

windmeup New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using Bugless Beast 0.7.2 at 950 Mhz and haven't had a single issue or FC. I've been installing it with the nandroid backup, it seems like some of the people who have used update.zip have had issues.

I tried both the 800 mhz and 950 mhz kernels with no issues on either as of yet.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bugless Beast works fine on its own - why go through that convoluted mess?

Also - WiFi patching is no longer needed - ALL you need to do is install a kernel with the wifi module (or a ROM that includes that kernel, such as bugless beast), and then install the pre3 version of android-wifi-tether. No patching of any kind needed, it just works.

8. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have and I have.

9. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I started with bugless beast on 0.7.1 using a nandroid restore. Then updated a couple days later to 0.7.2 using the update method and last night I updated 0.7.3 using the update method. I haven't had a single force close or any "buginess" at all with any of the versions. I did notice there was an update to setCPU last night before I updated the ROM and I applied it before updating. Wifi works, wifi tethering works without having to do anything extra, Everything seems to be working fine. I have over a 100 apps installed with no problems. I don't know what could be causing other people problems. I have tried the 2.1 laucher app and it is buggy and force closes a bit. Otherwise, i don't know what could be causing the problems. This ROM has truly been "bugless" for me.

10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A couple of points from my side. I just got a setcpu update a few minutes ago. Hopefuly this is a fix, and not a new problem.

Second, while Cplus's way may seem convoluted, his method accomplishes one very important thing, a thing that may be totally useless to the more advanced users, but could help the newer folks greatly, if they try and understand. His method requires completely understanding his phone, his file structure, tweaking nandroids, and what every update, nandroid etc. will do to his phone. Given that no rom is perfect, that it is possible to mix and match roms, apps etc., if you try and understand his methodology you may or may not come away with the true bugless rom, but you will learn some cool processes and will ultimately end up with a much greater understanding of where you are at, and ways to get where you want to go. Sort of the antithesis of Root Helper. So if his instructions sort of make sense but not really sure (newer user), give them a try. You have your nandroid backups, give learning a shot.

And I agree with folks that while the update.zip process can work, your best shot at a proper installation is nandroid.

Craig

11. messenger13

messenger13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno ... it all seems awfully convoluted from where I sit. I'm running Pete's 0.8.4 ROM at 1.1GHz. Not a single glitch since last Thursday ... that's almost a week now.

To get to 0.8.0 I used the full nandroid method. But I've been using the update.zip method ever since.

The only issue I'm currently having is that I can't get rid of the Auto-Rotate Launcher that's in 0.8.4. ANNOYING! :mad: The dev who released the auto-rotate launcher.apk (Xeudoxus) can't seem to UNdo what he did to the original Launcher. He's released 3 files now, and none of them get rid of the auto-rotate feature. Argh!

12. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is 'spot on' insight. No other way to put it.

Now, I have another plan regarding PsBB in the mean time.. I've download the nandroid BB 0.8.4 and will NOT try restoring my DATA this time. However, does anybody know of a way that I can backup and restore my TXT message threads only??! I would really like to not lose them but I'm willing to for the purpose of demonstrating to myself that Pete's rom works as well as so many obviously claim.