How I Made BB run like it used to.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by surfbuckeyesbc, Feb 3, 2011.

1. surfbuckeyesbc

surfbuckeyesbc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I am an avid fan of Bugless Beast. I have tried CM, Ultimate, some of the others, yet always found myself flashing back to BB. The features are pretty robust, and it is definitely the most consistent. This latest iteration seems to be giving some people problems, so I figured I'd write out what all of mine were, and how I now have my phone set up to mitigate them:

Originally, I had major issues from screen slow downs, redraws, overheating, reboots, and general sluggishness and force closes.
    • I was originally using Slayher's 1.1 GHz Compcache enabled Kernel (1.7 series). - Had overheating problems and didn't seem "zippy"
    • Had compcache enabled - Seemed to bog my phone down more than I was benefitting from it.
    • Used Beautiful Widgets as my main clock on home screen - Frequent time freezes and force closes (especially after update)
    • Used LauncherPro Plus w/ 5 screens, medium amount of widgets/apps on screen
    • Have about 120 MB of free space to install apps
    • Keep cache cleared through CacheMate.
    What I have now done is below, and I notice much increased battery life, lower temps, faster speed, great responsiveness and next to no force closes:
    • I swapped to Chevy's ULV 1.1 kernel. Compcache wasn't giving me any benefit, and the ice cold way this one runs, along with the fast speed keeps my phone happy and glitch free
    • When I reflashed the kernel, I did the battery stats wipe, and the full decharge and recharge.
    • I ALSO NOTICED THAT THIS KERNEL SWAP BROUGHT BACK THE LIST OF APPS TO BATTERY USAGE. This has been a major problem for some people, and this has seemed to fix that issue.
    • I also did the screen redraw fix, I do not have the link to that thread, but its done in the terminal, and was a good fix for me. Anyone, feel free to post a reply linking to that thread.
    • I have kept my free space on the internal memory to 125-130 MB, this seems to keep the phone from chugging out of memory when doing downloads from market or other things that load up the cache fast. (You CAN move some system apps such as YouTube and Maps to SD, search for my other post regarding system apps in the Bugless forum here)
    • I have LP Plus running on Medium memory setting with a compressed homescreen cache, helps with redraws when exiting memory intensive apps, although this hasn't been as big of a problem with .6 as it was with .5
    • Turn off auto-screen rotation. I read somewhere that this stops the phone from CONSTANTLY monitoring screen position and accelerometer readings, not sure if this is just placebo, but does seem to make a difference. If you need to, you can always download a toggle widget that allows you to swap this back and forth. Opening the keyboard also forces it into landscape, which is good enough for me, and some apps will override the off setting and allow for rotation anyway.
    • I use Fancy Widget pro instead of Beautiful Widgets. Their latest update (BW) has just made it so buggy and lots of FCs, and I don't think I'm the only one. Fancy widgets is smaller, seems to run smooth, and really does look great.
    • PROFILES IN SETCPU ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND! Ramp it down when screen is off, set battery level thresholds, and DEFINITELY make a heat-sensitive ramp down for those app intensive days
    • Clear dalvik cache about once every week or two. I have this set in my calendar as a reminder, you can do it from the recovery (requires reboot), ROM Toolkit (requires reboot) or Titanium Backup Pro (no reboot required)
    • Get CacheMate, and clear your cache every now and then with the Widget, or set up an autoclear for every 6-12 hours or so if you don't want to use the widget. Also, use the PowerClear every few days to really get the cobwebs out of your system
    • Use the MMS apk that comes with Bugless, it really is the smoothest and has the least amount of errors from missing text messages and non-sends.
    • I don't use a theme, which assists in the free space on the phone and functionality of apps (i do think poorly coded themes can cause some problems)
    • Power Bar widgets are your friend, turn off what you don't need, and see battery life sky rocket.
    • Move non-widgeted apps to SD, this helps keep space up and free.
    • Keep twitter, gmail and facebook on internal memory to keep your links and sync connected after reboots and SD card mounts. A lot of people have not been doing this and wonder why they need to constantly resync facebook and twitter accounts.
    • Don't use Task Killers!
    • Lastly, I switched my case. I used to use the very thick Body Glove one, it started to fray and fall apart, plus it was too big. One thing I noticed, and some people might find this idiotic, was that I never felt heat through that case. It made me wrongly think that the phone was running cool, but in reality, that heat was being trapped inside the case and the phone wasn't ventilating and would run warm on the inside. I swapped to the Otterbox Commuter case, and its great protection, is much slimmer, and I feel a slight bit of heat in the back when running maps or other apps, and this tells me (using the laws of heat conduction) that the heat is leaving the phone and going into my hand/air. Which is a good thing because that means it's leaving the back of the phone. Also comes with a screen protector which actually feels nicer than the glass.
    Feel free to tear this stuff apart, but this is how I have gotten BB to work like it should for me, and now its running great! I love this ROM, great job Pete, and to all of the people who aren't having the best time with it, maybe give some of this a try. For those who are blindly hating on the ROM, go try another! Swap kernels, home replacements, themes, etc! Each phone is different, and no one is forcing you to use BB!
  2. johnnyb15613

johnnyb15613 Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    Great post friend. Wonderful info. Thanks for doing the community a favor!
  3. the Goat

the Goat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird. I just run BB6.2.1 without any of those modifications you outline. I get outstanding battery life (it drops from 100% to 80% over a 17 hour day) and great performance (no slowdowns/lockups/force closing/etc). I think you are completely over thinking the situation.
  4. surfbuckeyesbc

surfbuckeyesbc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Completely awesome dude, but for the rest of us that are having problems, there isn't really much to over think. We're very simply having problems, and I posted these possible solutions as suggestions for those. But again, how completely awesome for you.
  5. lee__D

lee__D Member

Ratings:
    +0

we actually use our phones, though :)
  6. surfbuckeyesbc

surfbuckeyesbc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that i've gotten that out of my system, I'm sorry for snapping. However, there are more solutions in there than JUST force closes, including battery stats not showing in usage history, overheating, etc. Its obvious though that after 17 hours you only use 20% that you aren't really using your phone enough to accurately say you're setup wouldn't cause problems, and if you are, then the battery percentages aren't calibrated correctly on your device.

Anyway, moving on, are there other suggestions people are finding? Please post away and help us keep our BBs running smoothly!
  7. lee__D

lee__D Member

Ratings:
    +0
    some probably obvious things.

-i make it a habit to shut the screen off as soon as i put the phone down, not waiting for it to turn off itself.

-set my email to refresh every hour, not the default 15 minutes

-the paid adw launcher is amazing, i never thought i'd switch from LP+, but i did after this for like 3 minutes

-i keep the stock kernel at 800mhz, or underclocked, w/ min at 125

- i have the extended battery, and if i reboot or batt pull, my % jumps up. even after i've reset stats. i just wanted to mention that

-take a pc cord to work!
  8. blackbelt27

blackbelt27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I second the disabling of compcache, that seems to be the "bogging down" of phones over time

Also check out the thread in bugless about disabling adblock, HUGE DIFFERENCE

I'm running on conservative governer, without setcpu, I find setcpu slows things down, even after its uninstalled its like once you mess with it when it works, it kills it, I use petes built in overclocking, no problems, I've been running for 10 hours and I'm at 60% batt, moderate use, btw conservative governer is VERY snappy, on bugless, the only difference between governers is loading times for apps and menus, framerate stays about the same, using go launcher and go sms
  9. hyperdude

hyperdude Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tonight I decided I was gonna put some of these strategies to the test on my Droid. I reinstalled BB .6.2.1 after wiping data and cache and formatting boot and system, reloaded all my apps but uninstalled unnecessary ones, and am staying with the stock kernel (was running P3 LV 1000). After a few tweaks (window animations, turning off ad blocking), this thing is as snappy as I've ever seen it :)
    Great advice
  10. psiuglen

psiuglen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's some of my observations and setup:

I'm running 0.6.2.1, with Sapphire 800MHz LV kernel, compcache enabled. LP+, Fancy Widget Pro, BW (for the toggles), 7 home screens.
    Seems to be running cool enough (doing fairly long drives with Nav/music going and no problems) but come summer I will probably switch back to a Chevy ULV kernel.
    Only theming change was to make the unlock tabs transparent.
    Using stock browser and messaging apps. Seesmic for Twitter and FB app, plus LP+ widgets.

Major issue I had was with battery life. Tried all the various fixes suggested. I use JuiceDefender and it's worked nicely for me in the past and seemed to still be working. Looking into things, there is a problem it appears with Exchange Activesync (which Hotmail uses a version of now) and/or in conjunction with IMAP accounts (after the latest reports on Y! mail though hmm). I deleted my Yahoo mail account so I only have the Hotmail account in Email and my battery life is back where it should be. It would keep the device in partial wakelock up to 50% of the time and absolutely destroy the battery.

As a side note, Ad Blocking isn't using any cpu for me...and if it's a hosts file, it shouldn't be. Is there an actual program being utilized for adblocking in BB?

I still get lag sometimes but overall good smooth performance.
  11. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Running BB6.2 + Opera Browser - Switched back to Chevy 1.2 LV kernel (from Saphire 1250 1.6 kernel) as intense heat started again (CPU=150F) when I added back MP4 videos to SDCard.

Now: CPUTemp=75F / Data Temp-87F

Note: Fixing Permissions (Rom Manager/Rom Toolkit) solves many FC pblms.
  12. surfbuckeyesbc

surfbuckeyesbc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic addition with the ad blocking, I completely forgot to add that in the list, but I also disabled ad blocking. In most instances, I don't need it. If i'm about to jump into a long gaming session with angry birds, doodle bowling or any of the lite versions, I will enable it for that short time. Great additions guys!

And I've been in Chevy ULV now for a little less than a week, even on super heavy loads, never gets above 105. That's great! Now I did have one freeze and a reboot, not sure if it was from a badly coded app, or if the phone was trying to get more juice and couldn't. if it happens more often, i will reflash with Chevy's LV instead, see if that fixes it. I have some room to spare on the temps.
  13. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is that replace home screen fix you said to post link to. This was sent to me and it worked wonders for me on BB. I recommend everyone do it for a smoother BB experience. (Originally sent from huskerkate)

download Terminal Emulator from the market. when you open the app, it will be just a blue screen. slide open your keyboard, and then type:

su [enter]
    echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop [enter]
    reboot [enter]

you'll need to type it EXACTLY as it appears above, with spaces in the correct places (after "echo", "1", and ">>")[/QUOTE]

Sent from my Moto Droid- Bugless Beast 6.2 using DroidForums App