How hot is too hot for your battery?

acousticshade

Reaction score
Been watching and posting on several of the battery threads & think I may have a slightly nerfed battery. I'm not quite getting the average battery life that others are talking about with the stock battery. If I run videos and games on the phone, I can get maybe 3.5 hours out of the battery and only around 9 hours with light useage. I'm hearing that others are getting 4-5 hours of straight heavy usage and upwards of 12-14 hours with light usage.

I've done all the tricks, use Elixer and CPU spy, have the brightness down to 30% and all radios off except wifi & there does not appear to be anything running in the background that is sucking the thing dry. Using Elixer, I've noted that my battery gets to 103 or 104 degrees F on occasions if I'm playing a game while charging the phone. Is this a normal temperature when the CPU is running maxed out? Does anyone know what temperature readings would be a concern?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah 100+ temps only slightly normal and that's probably only under severely heavy usage. It's not the battery, it's the phone, but now they're both probably jacked. I'd go to Verizon for replacements.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the phone is using battery while charging that can cause excessive heat. I haven't tested it myself but if you remove the battery, plug in your phone and you can turn it on, the phone is running on AC. If the phone won't power on it is running linearly thus draining while charging, causing more heat.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

jeffe65

Reaction score
104°F isn't that hot, as long as it's only doing it when you're using a game or the phone is really busy with some task. My OG Droid would routinely go above 120°F when I was overclocking it, and from what I've read that's not bad as long as you don't leave it that hot all the time. The hottest my Rezound ever gets is 108°. That's just battery temp too; you need to be rooted to check CPU temp, which is a little more critical if you run really hot.

I live in Phoenix; if 104° was too hot, I wouldn't be able to use it from May through September. :blink:

OP
acousticshade

acousticshade

Reaction score
lol, yeah, somedays you guys can't even operate your phone outside without risking a meltdown!
:wink:
Got it to 107 just now after playing a game for about 20 minutes. It seems to be slowly getting worse so I'll continue to check it. If my temp's keep going up, I'll take it back. If they level out, I agree, I think it's ok. I never checked my Eris, but I believe it would get in the 104-105 range regularly.

bigkhan

Reaction score
i've had my bionic over 130 several times its only shut down1 time. At least I know that the safety feature that shuts it down works right. I reach these temperatures while using it as a hot spot, streaming Netflix.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching nfl mobile while on 4g and my battery is 131.6 f.
I'm trying to take my battery down to power off for the first time so I've got everything set to max to drain it as fast as possible.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

fingaz

Reaction score
104°F isn't that hot, as long as it's only doing it when you're using a game or the phone is really busy with some task.

Recently, my D4 has been reaching temperatures of 40-45°C+ ~ 113°F.... without even doing ANYTHING. My phone will be sitting on my desk, I won't even touch it and it will be burning hot. When it gets hot, the battery lasts for about 1-2 hours and charging it via my PC's USB port will only cause it to die slower.

I thought it was searching for service, since I have been getting horrible service lately, too. But even with Airplane mode on, it will still use up tons of battery life/get hot.

One thing that I have noticed is that Google Plus seems to be using most of my battery. For some reason it has also downloaded 7.63mb of data today, too (even though I haven't used it). Furthermore, my speakers are going crazy with static showing that my phone is constantly using cellular service. I have no idea how to stop it either.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Recently, my D4 has been reaching temperatures of 40-45°C+ ~ 113°F.... without even doing ANYTHING. My phone will be sitting on my desk, I won't even touch it and it will be burning hot. When it gets hot, the battery lasts for about 1-2 hours and charging it via my PC's USB port will only cause it to die slower.

I thought it was searching for service, since I have been getting horrible service lately, too. But even with Airplane mode on, it will still use up tons of battery life/get hot.

One thing that I have noticed is that Google Plus seems to be using most of my battery. For some reason it has also downloaded 7.63mb of data today, too (even though I haven't used it). Furthermore, my speakers are going crazy with static showing that my phone is constantly using cellular service. I have no idea how to stop it either.
Although this should be posted in the Droid 4 forum, I will answer... First, verify what is using the battery with Better Battery Stats or GSAM Battery Monitor, then if it is Google+ and you don't use it, just disable it. If you do use it, disable all the Location features. If it is something else, well, troubleshoot from there.

fingaz

Reaction score
Although this should be posted in the Droid 4 forum, I will answer... First, verify what is using the battery with Better Battery Stats or GSAM Battery Monitor, then if it is Google+ and you don't use it, just disable it. If you do use it, disable all the Location features. If it is something else, well, troubleshoot from there.

My apologies. I just found this thread via Google Search.

I am using an app called "Battery Left" (widget) and it shows what is using the most battery, the temp and what not... and Google Plus is always the culprit, using at least 50% of the battery.

I ended up uninstalling Google Plus and my battery life has been amazing. I have been using it all morning and its still at 80%. Phone isn't hot any more and my phone isn't running slow anymore.

I am assuming that Google + was doing something in the background (I don't know what) and it was using wayy too much of my phone's resources causing it to be slow and run extremely hot. So it's fixed for the moment.

acejavelin

Reaction score
My apologies. I just found this thread via Google Search.

I am using an app called "Battery Left" (widget) and it shows what is using the most battery, the temp and what not... and Google Plus is always the culprit, using at least 50% of the battery.

I ended up uninstalling Google Plus and my battery life has been amazing. I have been using it all morning and its still at 80%. Phone isn't hot any more and my phone isn't running slow anymore.

I am assuming that Google + was doing something in the background (I don't know what) and it was using wayy too much of my phone's resources causing it to be slow and run extremely hot. So it's fixed for the moment.
Probably, the most likely culprit is the location services... If you are like some people though, dumping Facebook in favor of Google+, just play in the settings, there are lots of threads of about things to try and certain versions of G+ that are better than others.

phoenix827

Reaction score
hey guys, How critical is battery/cpu temp? Mine runs anywhere from 110-125 when charging/streaming music, has hit 130 something sitting in the sun once. sounds like this might be a big part of why it only lasts a couple hours when streaming.

acejavelin

Reaction score
hey guys, How critical is battery/cpu temp? Mine runs anywhere from 110-125 when charging/streaming music, has hit 130 something sitting in the sun once. sounds like this might be a big part of why it only lasts a couple hours when streaming.
Is your screen on when streaming? If so, charging, streaming, screen on, can cause the phone to get very warm... 110-120 is acceptable, 125 is a little high, 130 is approaching automatic shutdown (~137F if I remember correctly). High temperatures for extended periods of time will deteriorate the battery, leading to shorter run times, very excessive heat can cause other components to fail as well.