How have you evolved as an android fan

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Say it isn't so... lol

Yeah....we lost CK and Bk to the dark side.

61933746.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I use ios for music recording purposes...the plug ins for recording software work better on ios than they do on windows.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@pc747 Thats another plus with iOS. It's pretty much lean and mean when you get it. No VZW logos or bloat, no waiting on OS updates. Everything is right from Apple and I like that. Verizon is not in the way at all. Huge bonus in my opinion.

No "sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk" sig or were you not on Tapatalk when you sent your posts?"

Yeah that is the area I have always commended Apple on. They are consistent about their products and refuse to allow any one else control of any aspect other than them. This makes the process seemless because ios fans have yet to complain about a slow update or bloatware. Yet since the og droid days we have dealt with non removable bloatware on the Android side, wasn't as noticeable with the Droid as the only bloat was Amazon mp3 which wasn't a big deal, and slow updates. Now we could argue that companies like Samsung needs time for them to test their touchwiz software with the latest version of Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No "sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk" sig or were you not on Tapatalk when you sent your posts?"

Yeah that is the area I have always commended Apple on. They are consistent about their products and refuse to allow any one else control of any aspect other than them. This makes the process seemless because ios fans have yet to complain about a slow update or bloatware. Yet since the og droid days we have dealt with non removable bloatware on the Android side, wasn't as noticeable with the Droid as the only bloat was Amazon mp3 which wasn't a big deal, and slow updates. Now we could argue that companies like Samsung needs time for them to test their touchwiz software with the latest version of Android.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.
Not having the ability to change default some applications from the bloatware embedded on Apple products is worse than just having embedded Apple bloatware. Safari is just 1 example of bloatware on Apple products. Might not have a carrier name attached but it's bloatware.
Bloatware has become so much the norm much of it isn't even called bloatware anymore.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll have to respectfully disagree.
Not having the ability to change default some applications from the bloatware embedded on Apple products is worse than just having embedded Apple bloatware. Safari is just 1 example of bloatware on Apple products. Might not have a carrier name attached but it's bloatware.
Bloatware has become so much the norm much of it isn't even called bloatware anymore.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
And I have to respectfully disagree with you. Though I agree that you should be able to set a default of your choice, I think a web browser pre-installed on an internet-connected device has never been bloatware.

I know we have differing opinions on what bloatware means, but I definitely don't share your opinion that everything other than just the very minimalist core OS is bloat. There are some basic things that aren't necessarily NEEDED for the OS to run and the phone to work that can't be uninstalled/etc that you feel are bloat that I just can't agree with.

I feel like calling a web browser bloatware on a smartphone is like calling the dialer or an SMS app bloatware. Those are needed for the core functions of the device. That, to me, isn't bloat.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And I have to respectfully disagree with you. Though I agree that you should be able to set a default of your choice, I think a web browser pre-installed on an internet-connected device has never been bloatware.

I know we have differing opinions on what bloatware means, but I definitely don't share your opinion that everything other than just the very minimalist core OS is bloat. There are some basic things that aren't necessarily NEEDED for the OS to run and the phone to work that can't be uninstalled/etc that you feel are bloat that I just can't agree with.

I feel like calling a web browser bloatware on a smartphone is like calling the dialer or an SMS app bloatware. Those are needed for the core functions of the device. That, to me, isn't bloat.
Agree

One the phone manufacturers will preinstall the camera, dialer, internet, and messaging app that is best for their operating system. Though I may prefer a 3rd party, the manufacturer is looking for the overall (power users and beginners). As much as I prefer chrome over Samsung's browser, chrome do not support fingerprint passkeys.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I agree on the internet but I think what Mark meant was making the 3rd party browser default instead of Safari as with some actions when using an IPhone ...

6s plus Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
One man's bloat is another man's useful app. I think if carriers & manufacturers can provide the option to uninstall preloaded "bloat", that would be the better option. I don't buy Nexus because it's too minimalistic. There needs to be a better balance between what people actually want or need, and what's forced upon us with no option to remove.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One man's bloat is another man's useful app. I think if carriers & manufacturers can provide the option to uninstall preloaded "bloat", that would be the better option. I don't buy Nexus because it's too minimalistic. There needs to be a better balance between what people actually want or need, and what's forced upon us with no option to remove.

S5 tap'n
As sacrilegious as it sounds, the iPhone right now is the closest you can get between vanilla nexus and carrier bloat unless you root.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I have the best of both worlds IMO ..a Nexus & iPhone...very happy with my choices ...we all love choices

6s plus Tapatalk

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
most should know my history but ill hit on it again since i did disappear for a couple years :)

i got a windows phone i got a windows phone im the king, best thing since sliced bread.
well i figured out pretty quickly it wasnt what i thought :) it was a pantech duo
slow buggy and windoes software for the phone sucked :)
ok i cant wait getting closer to my 2 years getting that cool iphone thing.

well Cingular/att was getting worse signal for me as each month went by.
att finally told me if i could atrrange a place for them to lease they would look into putting a tower up.
so 2 years came and verizon reported better signal and had this new thing called a droid just coming out and it had flash support.

so off i went to verizon (who ever they were) (actually best buy) and bought that new slider keyboard/screen phone.
got home and first thing i read was flash support coming soon. dammit thats why i bought it so i could actually watch videos.
so ok froyo comes out with flash support im all set.
1 month went by than 2 than im all set again Verizon said froyo "coming soon"
and another month andd another month goes by.
Im reading about these custom rom things and they have froyo out already.
unlock bootloader, put on customer bootloader load rom.. well ok this seems to troubling.
another month goes by. ok where is that site that tells me how to put the custom rom on.
and soon after i have a custom rom with froyo on my phone.
than another and another.
hey i got this down! im gonna make the coolest theme for the droid.
well shoot i have no talent in graphics.
so in july i start to learn how to build my own rom.
since i couldnt theme a darn thing, i found one of the best to come along for the ride. GFlam.
as many know we had a rocky relationship but the 2 of us could make a damn cool rom! :)

so over 3 years of my life was nothing but digging into the guts of android.

I just couldn't imagine leaving to use something i dont know anything about.

the lumina and windows 10 on phone and computer is attractive, and i think app problems wouldnt be a big problem for me. with over 3 years of flashing the phone 10 times a day i still really dont set much up. and never really spent time with anything but the basic every must have app.

I have a hatred for apple as a company even though i believe the iphone 6 plus and successor to be high quality hardware, I dont like the company, their cockiness/attitude, proprietary nature , suing people because they used the color black , or they made their screen of glass etc :), and the topper "your holding it wrong" and im sure i could do everything i wanted on them, but i would have to be on iphone blogs.. yuck...

as for android like many have said the excitement of a new version has slowed down. i used kitkat on my g2 up until i put a fresh flash on it of lollipop to sell it, i never used lollipop at all. Marshmallow seems ok nothing that makes me go oh im so glad i am not on kitkat anymore.

i really only upgraded to the 6P because the ear piece for phone calls speaker went out and people were bitching i sounded bad on the speaker phone. and although i think the lg v10 is the better phone, i have to be able to unlock the phone if i decide i want to do that. I dont like being at the whim of the phone manufacture or verizon on if i get updates or not.
and i wanted a phone that if i finally get tired of Verizon's bs i dont have a 500 dollar paper weight.

so that is my story :)

Long live android :)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The moral of that story is, buy a phone for what it has now, not what it may have down the road. OS updates aren't all their cracked up to be.... usually less, between all the bugs, at least until you get to a .01 -.02 update to an update.
That said, we've come a long ways since the froyo days....
Viva la Android!
Happy New Year everybody! :)

S5 tap'n