How have you evolved as an android fan

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I got into Android to root and rom. Today, rooting and romming is not that intriguing anymore. I have 2 Android phones plus an iPhone.
Both have their plus and minuses.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went Android when Windows Mobile was abandoned because it was closer than iPhone to WM. I stuck with Android because it's still closer to Windows XP than iPhone or Windows Phone . Now I have a stylus that makes it even closer to a pda like device.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

fed123

Reaction score
I came to Android from a Palm Pre. Really liked the Palm but when HP shut it down Android was the obvious next step.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I came over from Blackberry / Palm Treo ...Droid X really got me interested and then one day I wondered hmmm I'd like to change the color of this status bar ..lol
Rooting and flashing was the best times we had on the forum ...
And look at us now ...so many great choices...

6s plus Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I too came from blackberry. Had a curve for work and the storm/storm2. We used to mod the storms back in the day. Natemz had great themes that we'd use. Then I saw droid x. Never had an android but thought it would be a different change from the nightly reboots I had to do with bb. Found one click root in the store and I was off to the races.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have not only evolved....I've become a highly enlightened smartphone user :)

I was pretty OS (Android) loyal for a few years. Didn't want to use anything, but Android devices. Then I began to get bored with Android. Keep in mind I had watched Android evolve from Eclair to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. Rooting, romming and evolving features kept me interested. Then Android had become so 'mature' that it held no allure for me anymore. Vanilla Android was....well boring and I just became bored with everything Android (which is not unusual for me). Not to mention the "spec wars" wore thin on me quickly. Buying a handset that was a flagship one week only to be relegated to 'old tech' a week later left me wore out.

I decided to throw in the towel and try something entirely different....enter Windows Phone. I'm not one to get locked into one eco system and become a slave to it, so it was an easy transition. Jumped in, converted what I needed to convert to get my life set up on Windows Phone and off I went. I really liked Windows Phone. It's very polished and the live tiles were incredibly useful. Only complaints I have/had were the apps (no surprises there) Unlike some people, it wasn't a deal breaker, I just had to figure out other means to handle my banking without having convenient apps. I would still be on Windows Phone had Verizon carried the Lumia 950's, but no such luck.

Seeing that I have a Nexus tablet that runs the current OS I still felt no compelling reason to go back to it on a smartphone. What to do? I like to try new OS's so the natural thing to do was........get the iPhone 6S Plus. Once again, I picked up my Windows Phone belongings got set up for iOS and off I went. So here I am today on iOS and really enjoying it. I have no loyalty to one OS or another. They are all really really good. If Windows Phone had the app base behind it, I'd say its just as good as Android and iOS (thats the ONLY thing that its lacking) The iPhone is a great phone and I don't have to worry about another one coming out next week with new features and the latest software. That is a huge plus. Android is well Android. You can pick from what seems thousands upon thousands of devices and then you are at the mercy of the upgrade cycle. Will Verizon/manufacturer upgrade it in a timely manner and how many versions of Android will they support it through? That is a huge turnoff for me and that single reason (upgrade cycle) is probably why I won't be back any time soon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

I was pretty OS (Android) loyal for a few years. Didn't want to use anything, but Android devices. Then I began to get bored with Android. Keep in mind I had watched Android evolve from Eclair to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. Rooting, romming and evolving features kept me interested. Then Android had become so 'mature' that it held no allure for me anymore. Vanilla Android was....well boring and I just became bored with everything Android (which is not unusual for me). Not to mention the "spec wars" wore thin on me quickly. Buying a handset that was a flagship one week only to be relegated to 'old tech' a week later left me wore out.

I decided to throw in the towel and try something entirely different....enter Windows Phone. I'm not one to get locked into one eco system and become a slave to it, so it was an easy transition. Jumped in, converted what I needed to convert to get my life set up on Windows Phone and off I went. I really liked Windows Phone. It's very polished and the live tiles were incredibly useful. Only complaints I have/had were the apps (no surprises there) Unlike some people, it wasn't a deal breaker, I just had to figure out other means to handle my banking without having convenient apps. I would still be on Windows Phone had Verizon carried the Lumia 950's, but no such luck.

Seeing that I have a Nexus tablet that runs the current OS I still felt no compelling reason to go back to it on a smartphone. What to do? I like to try new OS's so the natural thing to do was........get the iPhone 6S Plus. Once again, I picked up my Windows Phone belongings got set up for iOS and off I went. So here I am today on iOS and really enjoying it. I have no loyalty to one OS or another. They are all really really good. If Windows Phone had the app base behind it, I'd say its just as good as Android and iOS (thats the ONLY thing that its lacking) The iPhone is a great phone and I don't have to worry about another one coming out next week with new features and the latest software. That is a huge plus. Android is well Android. You can pick from what seems thousands upon thousands of devices and then you are at the mercy of the upgrade cycle. Will Verizon/manufacturer upgrade it in a timely manner and how many versions of Android will they support it through? That is a huge turnoff for me and that single reason (upgrade cycle) is probably why I won't be back any time soon.

Great points. One of my biggest thing is that I like to support devs, so I've got quite a bit of money invested in apps & iaps on Android. I tried iPhone back with the 4, I think. I bought some apps to give it a real try, but it just didn't do it for me. At the time, I missed notifications & Widgets. I also hated no back button & the way their settings are.

As for your comments of the upgrade cycle, that's really only an issue on Android if you don't find a line you like by a certain oem. Iphone gets refreshed every year, once a year. So does the moto x, galaxy s & note lines, etc.

I still get what you're saying though & you gotta do what works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

One thing about Apple is you know what you are going to get year after year. For those who want clean, simple, and support, it is the iPhone. If you have a 6 you can wait until the 7 because even though the 6s may have a slight upgrade the software will be the same. You know the build quality will be top notch, and accessories will be there. Good deal trying out different devices.

Great points. One of my biggest thing is that I like to support devs, so I've got quite a bit of money invested in apps & iaps on Android. I tried iPhone back with the 4, I think. I bought some apps to give it a real try, but it just didn't do it for me. At the time, I missed notifications & Widgets. I also hated no back button & the way their settings are.

As for your comments of the upgrade cycle, that's really only an issue on Android if you don't find a line you like by a certain oem. Iphone gets refreshed every year, once a year. So does the moto x, galaxy s & note lines, etc.

I still get what you're saying though & you gotta do what works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It is a matter of getting use to it. When I first moved from my 3gs to the Droid I hated that the droid kb was not as good, the app market was not as good, it didnt have a simple itunes interface to sync apps and music, etc. It took me awhile to appreciate what Android could do vs what it couldn't do. Over the years I continued to appreciate what android was. It takes about 2-3 month (weeks for some) to began to appreciate a new OS. The first month you spend complaining about it not being like your old OS, the second month trying to find ways to compensate, the third month to finally ease in and to see what the OS can do.
I am not saying you would not miss the back button, but you will began to appreciate the home button on the iPhone more. And to this day I still do not feel android has caught up with the Apple keyboard on the iPhone.

@cereal killer and @bkdodger , though I'll continue to give you guys a hard time for going to the enemy :p, I know that as heavy as I was into the iPhone if the Verizon would have carried the iPhone or if AT&T and Apple did a better job with my faulty 3gs back in the day I would still be an iPhone fanboy. I still appreciate what Apple continues to put out. And with apple borrowing from google and google borrowing from apple it is easier now to transition. Grab a few Google apps from the iTunes store (gmail, google music, google movie, chrome, Android pay, chromecast, etc) and you will be alright. Have to feel good buying a device that you do not have to worry about the carriers putting their logo or apps on. Good or bad Apple controls the process from production to your hands and beyond. Though Google is close with the nexus they still rely on the manufacturers.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I tell you @pc747 I'm extremely happy with this phone ...it's smooth and fast at everything I throw at it ...battery is ridiculous...I've not skipped a beat with my apps and usage ...

6s plus Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can wait between iterations with Samsung just the same. If you had the s3, you didn't have to get the 4, but the 5 was a bigger step up. Sure, they made the 6 better than the 5, but each generation should offer more than the last.

And if you've had one device from an OEM, you've got a good idea of what the build quality will be like. My s4 was mostly plastic, but was still built well enough that I was confident in getting the Note 4 without ever seeing it in person before ordering (I did play with one in a Best Buy Mobile after ordering), which is the same gen as the s5.

As for the apps and stuff, well we all know that's a closer race nowadays.

That's the thing. When you're talking ios vs Android, that's one conversation, but if you wanna talk devices instead of OS, then you need to talk one OEM vs another, imo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have to admit Android hasn't "wowed" me with anything since JB Samsung and the features of the S Pen have really kept in with Android. I really do look forward to what's to come but for me Lollipop and Marshmallow hasn't really brought me anything I needed or really utilize.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to admit Android hasn't "wowed" me with anything since JB Samsung and the features of the S Pen have really kept in with Android. I really do look forward to what's to come but for me Lollipop and Marshmallow hasn't really brought me anything I needed or really utilize.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
I haven't been wowed since froyo other than "wow Google is inserting even more bloatware on this one". I thought the whole thing with Android was it was supposed to be about choices. I don't think I'll even go wow when at some point I'm forced to open a link in Chrome, use Google messaging or other ios like changes as the 2 compete to copy each other.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Coming from Blackberry to Android in 2009 I was was definitely wowed, except for the email, which Blackberry handled so well. Then came Nexus and rooting and rom flashing, sometimes twice a day... But then batteries got a little better, speed and memory improved and Android became better than the other options.

Then Android became Vanilla, and complacent and somewhat boring, didn't wow much any more...

Now My Upgrade is available and I'm not sure what's next... The fan in me is possibly needing a change...

Sent from an Apple Galaxy Tab S2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
@pc747 Thats another plus with iOS. It's pretty much lean and mean when you get it. No VZW logos or bloat, no waiting on OS updates. Everything is right from Apple and I like that. Verizon is not in the way at all. Huge bonus in my opinion.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Say it isn't so... lol