How hack-able is the Droid X?

dpaine88

Reaction score
99$ for a pre-owned DX on Verizon.com right now.

Thinking about upgrading from OG droid.

How hackable is the Droid X?

Custom kernels? ROMS? Recovery? Themes?

Any limitations?

Manigma77

Reaction score
I would go for the thunderbolt if you can afford it, or wait for the bionic. I upgraded to a dx in Jan. and I am regretting it now. I use to hack the d1 like crazy, but the dx has the locked bootloader and you can't flash any custom kernals, or cyanmod, or miui, etc etc. What D1 does, DX can't... I would go back to my og droid but i have come accustomed to the larger screen on the dx and it is so much easier to type, the thunderbolt has the same size screen as the dx. Also, almost every dev I follow on twitter that had a dx has moved on to the thunderbolt, so there should be plenty of hacks and roms for it. Hope this helps.

Don't get me wrong, the Dx is a good phone, it is just a dying breed without an unlocked bootloader......

cubsfan187

Reaction score
The bootloader has been unlocked on the DX from what I have read in these forums. It is still a good phone for what it has to offer. Me personally, I have one, but I am waiting til I have another upgrade available to get the Bionic. By then it will (hopefully) been hacked enough for custom ROM's and things like that.

fox_dye

Reaction score
So either use the 3g hot spot hack by team black hat or use wireless tether. They both work for me and they are free. Please don't abuse them.

Sent from a galaxy far far away......

fry-lock

Reaction score
I just upgraded from an OD to the X. It's not as flexible as the OD, but it's noticeably faster on the seat of the pants scale.

I mean, for what it is, $99 is a steal. The release cycle is too fast to justify buying bleeding edge, because there is always gonna be better. Right now it's the thunderbolt (which the only thing it has on the X is an unlocked bootloader and 4g IMO) , and the bionic is coming. When the bionic get's released, it will be some other phone.

I think the deciding factor here is would be if you want 4g or not. I don't think Verizon will offer unlimited 4g for long, so if 4g is something that will matter to you, getting under a contract now would smart.

For me 4g wasn't important since I'm always near wifi. I'm glad I did, the OD hardware is just too limited to support many more versions past gingerbread. 256mb ram sucks.

bL33d

Reaction score
Bionic is moto so it will b locked to and most future htc phones will b locked aswell.

U can overclock and flash roms and themes which is all the good stuff imo.