How green is the grass on the Droid side?

D_K

Reaction score
Newb here with questions for y'all. But first let me start with how I got here...

So, today I had to take the Storm 1 in to get swapped for a refurb unit after the screen decided not to display. I have spent the last several hours now trying to rebuild the new one (rather then doing work that I absolutely need to get done for tomorrow). The worst part is trying to retrieve new license keys. How stupid is it for RIM to have the App World and not have a way for it to update your license keys for the new PIN since EVERYTHING is tied to that god forsaken thing. :mad:

Anyways, I have had Blackberrys for a few years now. I use to love them until the 5.0 OS came out. Thank you RIM for upgrading me to an OS with a different set of even more annoying bugs including the ability to only receive a few text messages before I have to reboot to keep reading them.... ARGGGHHH!

Anyways, my question is very simple... is the grass really greener on the Android side? How hard is to swap devices? I know that you are all Droid lovers, but what things annoy you about the platform?

I am planning on making the switch as soon as VZ gets their arse around to releasing the Incredible. I have worked for Motorola and lets just say that I would prefer not to go that route.

BTW, any forum that has this dude rocks in my book!!!---> :icon_ banana:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as things tied to your Google account, great, because those become available again on a new unit. Market is tied as well, so paid apps are remembered. Free apps you just have to redownload and install.

Overall, platform is better, hooky will really sell you.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
The grass is DEFINITELY greener. I had a Curve (8330) and a Storm1 before my Droid and the Droid by far destroys them. Let's see:

- It is faster (internet speeds, app loading speed, REBOOT TIME!, gps locking time, etc)
- Much easier to navigate (Settings, menus, buttons, etc are much more user friendly)
- LOTS more apps available (even after weeding out the useless ones)
- Better memory management (no need to close every app for fear of the phone running slower than ass)
- Customization (this one is BIG)
- Direct internet through Verizon. No going through BlackBerrys servers first. When I would log in to work servers using my BB, it always said I was logging in from Canada. I'm sure this is reason for the speed difference in the two platforms. Also, RIM would have outages all the time and my email would be inaccessible. None of that crap on Android!

You can install new roms, change on screen keyboards, replace the messaging app, replace the email app, replace the music app, etc. So if there is something that you don't necessarily like that much about stock Android, you can most likely change it so that you DO like it (LOVE it).

I know a lot of people fear Motorola for their past BS but so far I love this phone. The Incredible will be very nice also though!

Hope that helps a little. :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

li2327

Reaction score
I love my droid. The only disappointing thing was that it didn't come with additional instant messenger like other android devices do on other carriers. I know you can find them in the app storebut they're not as good as gtalk. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed with the droid. The browser is amazing.

OP
D

D_K

Reaction score
Direct internet through Verizon. No going through BlackBerrys servers first. When I would log in to work servers using my BB, it always said I was logging in from Canada. I'm sure this is reason for the speed difference in the two platforms. Also, RIM would have outages all the time and my email would be inaccessible.

LOL, that use to not be a huge problem. But now that the BIS server is going down every few weeks, it is getting to be annoying as hell!!!

I just sent 6 emails out for new license keys, so I will see how that goes. It was easier to get my old Windows Mobile phones back up and running! Another couple of weeks of this and I am going to hunt down an HTC Incredible beta tester and mug them for their phone! :icon_ devil:

Thanks for all the info so far. It looks like RIM is a barren cow pasture compared to the manicured golf course of Android.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Watch your step in a cow pasture :icon_eek:, you might step in something...

Me, my brother, my friend, and a few others I know have gone from BB -> Android and haven't looked back. Not sure what all the license key madness is but on Android you can make a Nandroid backup (if rooted) and load it on a new phone if its the same model. If it's not, there are other apps to backup info/settings/apps to the sdcard so that you can restore them on another phone also. Plus your paid apps and contacts are linked to your google account so when you first log into your Android phone, it knows who you are, downloads your contacts, and shows the apps as PAID in the market so you can download them.

I don't see myself leaving Android unless that stuff in the cow pasture somehow hits the fan for Google or something REALLY changes with one of the other platforms.

Darkseider

Reaction score
In most cases I would say that the grass is not greener on the other side. BUT in this case I would say it's a bit greener than the Crayola green in a 32 count box. As for this topic does anyone else find it funny that there is a Scotts Lawn Service ad at the bottom?

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I sure hope it is. I have 17 more days until I can upgrade from my 8330 and, while I'm sure I'll miss the ol' gal, I can't wait for something new.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Going from my 8330 to my Storm was a huge improvement. Going from my Storm to the Droid was also a massive improvement. Going from an 8330 -> Droid... be careful not to go into shock.