How good is Verizon at catching you?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kevinlaw, Nov 30, 2010.

1. kevinlaw

kevinlaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, just a general question cause I need to bring my phone back to the land of bloatwared smartphones...

How good is Verizon at catching a phone that was rooted, but has been unrooted on the factory ROM. All that I've done with the root that isn't back to froyo settings is that a few retarded programs (e.g. Skype, Blockbuster, Kindle, Amazon MP3) have been removed.

Would they catch this and tell me my warranty is void? Thanks guys. Keep up the great work cause I am learning a lot!

2. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    People have returned "unrooted" phone. I don't recall hearing anything afterward. Because I'd like to think optimistic. Either there was no issue or they were so upset that they didn't want to say anything anymore.

As far as how closely we are being watched, I think anyone wants to get as close as possible. There are three things here: technologically how close they can be; how sensitive we are before realizing it; what is our tolerance level.

3. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not heard of a single verified case of Verizon refusing warranty service to a rooted phone, even when not returned to un-rooted condition. If it appears damaged from overheating, they might suspect and actually look to see if it was rooted and could have been overclocked, but if it is damaged from overheating it probably won't boot anyway.

However!!! I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice, and I get my Smartphones for free because I am in a Verizon Wireless market research group, so I never try to return my phones, I just revert to whatever the previous device they gave me on the rare occasions I have a problem.

Alan

4. kevinlaw

kevinlaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :)

I must say, whether your comment is true or 100% false, I am going to sleep better at night so thank you.

Also, how can I get some of that Version Trial action?

5. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'd say its relative to why the phone is being returned. If you've removed the most obvious evidence, it'll be hard for them to sniff it out. Short of viewing the system logs in the device, anyways. Will they do that to every phone they recieve? No. Only if the the device is returned under suspicious circumstances, like maybe it's your 2nd or 3rd device, or you didn't seem up front when you spoke with Verizon. They can flag the transaction with something to the extent of "investigate device" for tampering.
    In the end, it's really 50/50, we all knew what we were getting into when we rooted, so if you get warranty service, right on. If not, there's always Ebay.

6. PanicProne

PanicProne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if i were to return my phone i would rest it back to factory settings and use rsdlite to be on the safe side wouldnt want to find out the hard way on what they might do...

:reddroid:+:motdroidhoriz:=:)

7. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK its impossible for them to tell that you were previously rooted and you flashed the 2.2 SBF to get it back to stock.

8. david5452

david5452 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lmao the techs where I work don't even know how to check for root.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

9. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that it would be worth going to court over, but voiding your warranty for modifying your property is actually not legal unless they can prove the modification caused the damage (the reason I specifically mentioned over-clocking). I believe the name of the law is the moss-magnussan act (i have a link on my desktop, but posting from my DINC).