How good is the signal on the RAZR?

mekanism

Reaction score
Like the title says. I returned a nexus for crappy signal and am torn between the RAZR maxx and Rezound. I know the Rezound has a better antenna and has an unlocked bootloader but the battery will pale in comparison to the maxx. I will assume the same antennas on the maxx and unmaxxed RAZR.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

eodguy2

Reaction score
I think you will find that the razor has better antenna. get outstanding signal. of course if the whole 4g thing goes down like it has a couple
times, then well you know. phone service has always been the best as I've had a lot of different phones and seems like Motorola has this
covered

SallyC

Reaction score
I live in an area of shakey coverage, due to geographic challenges. My old phone (not a Motorola, but on Verizon) had no signal literally half the time. And when it did, it was unreliable.

My RAZR's signal is strong all the time. I could get rid of my land line if signal strength were the only factor.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phone reception I would give to the RAZR. Data reception ....its a lil closer to call on that.

My RAZR is on the latest leak (.173) and before that the Rezound probably had better data reception. Now they are more even. I just got the update for the Rezound yesterday, havent compared phone reception vs my RAZR. Should be able to this evening. I know 2 places when I go to work and come home where my G Nex and Rezound would start to break up and my RAZR never did.

I had a G Nex too. And for signal, reception...I would recommend the RAZR or Rezound right now.

Last edited:
OP
mekanism

mekanism

Reaction score
Cool! Its looking like the RAZR maxx might be my next new toy! I really like the idea of smart actions and motocast. It seems moto has gone a little beyond hardware development and made the whole experience better! Do you guys agree, or are the added features just crapware?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Cool! Its looking like the RAZR maxx might be my next new toy! I really like the idea of smart actions and motocast. It seems moto has gone a little beyond hardware development and made the whole experience better! Do you guys agree, or are the added features just crapware?

Strongly agree :)

Sent from Droid RAZR

doggy2965

Reaction score
I have Maxx with 2.3.6 leak installed its signal is much improved and i think its the best 4g phone on the verizon network

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Androidatic

Reaction score
Many of those that have installed the leaked update have mentioned how much better the data signal is. The article on Phandroid mentions the best 4G LTE reception available right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

makilavelli

Reaction score
It really comes down to coverage in your area. I live in El Paso, TX and my area doesn't give the greatest coverage in certain parts of town, however, I'm paying a visit to my family in PA at the moment and have had nothing but full bars on both 3G and 4G. Overall, moto makes great radios so you shouldn't have an issue.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

tc1

Reaction score
Seriously if signal is important, and
It should be.

Then moto is way better than HTC.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Hail

Reaction score
I live in extended network area which is very close to a tower.... I switch flawlessly to Verizon 3g/4g tower

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

infantrytrophy

Reaction score
Very good for both the Razr and Razr Maxx, at least compared to older phones.

My home is in a low-signal area, and reception inside the home has always been spotty with many different brands of phones over the last few years. I bought a Droid Razr on Jan 15th (last day for the 4G/month data plan promotion), then exchanged it yesterday (Jan 26) for the Razr Maxx. Both of these phones are much better than our old LG flip phones, so much so that we can make and receive calls almost anywhere in the house now. Big improvement from the old phones.

Can't address the issue of 3G and 4G data reception, but this seems to be good when traveling away from home. We don't use the phone data when home, relying on WiFi instead.

The Razr and Razr Maxx seem to be slightly better than my wife's iPhone 4s inside the home, but it's hard to discern the difference by actual phone calls. This observation is based on the number of bars displayed, but I consider that questionable. The mapping of bars displayed to actual signal strength is somewhat arbitrary and varies among manufacturers. Bottom line is that the Razr, Razr Maxx and iPhone 4s are much better in terms of cell phone reception, compared to older phones.

OP
mekanism

mekanism

Reaction score
Im still really torn between the RAZR and Rezound. If the Rezound screen is that much better I might go that route. The thing I hate most about the Rezound is the battery. Why can't there be a phone that comes out that has no caveats? Ugh!

Josebunbury

Reaction score
Signal in my area is great but the phone we got were defective as they actually dropped everything, phone signal and data constantly, we replacements and now they work awesome..!!!1

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Im still really torn between the RAZR and Rezound. If the Rezound screen is that much better I might go that route. The thing I hate most about the Rezound is the battery. Why can't there be a phone that comes out that has no caveats? Ugh!

The Rezound's display is not necessarily "better" so much as it's different. There are some who claim the Rezound's screen appears nicer and the resolution is certainly much higher (more pixels per inch, and since they are the same size, more pixels. There is no question that the higher resolution is to be admired, but the pop and contrast is nothing compared to the RAZR. The side by side comparison of both phones will have you certainly looking at the Rezound and saying "damn, I wish the colors and contrast were comparable to the RAZR. For me, the color pop and contrast are far more important than the higher resolution. The RAZR also scores higher on the Quadrant benchmark than the Rezound and there are many other comparisons to make but I am thrilled with my RAZR and I've played with the Rezound at the Verizon Phone Center Store but left not feeling any less happy with my RAZR.