How does verizons early upgrade policy work?

alienware777

Reaction score
Like how much money is it, does it extend your contract, is there a limit to the types of phones, that kind of stuff. I basically have no idea of anything about it other than it can't be done until month 13 of your 2 year contract.

jseah

Reaction score
Early upgrade requires you to re-sign a new 2 year contract and you get the same pricing as anyone signing a 2 year contract. There are no limits as to what phone you can upgrade to. Also, only certain lines over a set monthly amount were eligible (therefore secondary lines on family share plans never qualified for early upgrades).

Verizon did away with early upgrades a few months ago, so they technically no longer exist, except if you were already a customer prior to it going away. For those individuals, they will still qualify for an early upgrade for one last time.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Arg I wish it didn't sign me up for another 2 years. My contract right now expires in june 2012, which is around when the galaxy 3 will come out in the us. I'd rather not want to be locked in :/ How lenient do you think they'll be? Like if I call them and beg will they let me get it without locking me in?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arg I wish it didn't sign me up for another 2 years. My contract right now expires in june 2012, which is around when the galaxy 3 will come out in the us. I'd rather not want to be locked in :/ How lenient do you think they'll be? Like if I call them and beg will they let me get it without locking me in?

Define early. When's your next upgrade?

If it's within a few months, that might be considered for an early upgrade. But if you're not eligible for upgrade for quite sometime you can't get it. I can't upgrade until February 2012 so no way they would consider me.

Yes, I have asked. :)

Beka27

Reaction score
Your best bet then would be to purchase a phone retail or from ebay/craigslist to hold you over til your upgrade. You could then sell your existing phone to recoup some of the cost.

VZW ONLY allows subsidized phones in exchange for a two year contract. There's no way around this.

(from Beka's DX)

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score

Define early. When's your next upgrade?

If it's within a few months, that might be considered for an early upgrade. But if you're not eligible for upgrade for quite sometime you can't get it. I can't upgrade until February 2012 so no way they would consider me.

Yes, I have asked. :)

They've notified me that I can have an early upgrade on two of my three phones in my contract. I was thinking about upgrading mine to hold me over till next june so I can buy a new phone then, but if I'm stuck in another 2 year contract I don't want to.

jseah

Reaction score
They've notified me that I can have an early upgrade on two of my three phones in my contract. I was thinking about upgrading mine to hold me over till next june so I can buy a new phone then, but if I'm stuck in another 2 year contract I don't want to.

Then you have no other option except for purchasing at full retail. Verizon no longer offers one year contracts, unless your line is a business (company liable) line. Any subsidized phone requires 2 year contracts now.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Then you have no other option except for purchasing at full retail. Verizon no longer offers one year contracts, unless your line is a business (company liable) line. Any subsidized phone requires 2 year contracts now.
Yup, exactly what I was going to say. The reason you got the email about upgrading is because they are trying to make sure you're staying with VZW. When you upgrade you're contract is extended another 2 years and you can upgrade in 20 months again.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sprint will give u $125 credit to help pay the cost of an etf if you switch to them from another carrier. Their coverage isn't as good as verizons though.

Sent from my fascinate

jseah

Reaction score
Sprint will give u $125 credit to help pay the cost of an etf if you switch to them from another carrier. Their coverage isn't as good as verizons though.

Sent from my fascinate

Sprint will still require a 2 year contract though when you sign up with them.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would they give you a subsidy for nothing? Subsidies come with contracts.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Mine is in January of 2013.
I can't imagine what kinds of phones will be out then.

However, usually during a 2 year contract I will find some way to get a new phone early.
If my X breaks 5 months from now, they will probably just replace it with an x2.

OP
A

alienware777

Reaction score
Why would they give you a subsidy for nothing? Subsidies come with contracts.

Cause I'm an awesome customer :D I don't know I was just hoping haha

Mine is in January of 2013.
I can't imagine what kinds of phones will be out then.

However, usually during a 2 year contract I will find some way to get a new phone early.
If my X breaks 5 months from now, they will probably just replace it with an x2.

Yeah I know phones will be like quad core, insanely good graphics, tons of ram/space, and hopefully a working battery that doesn't die every couple hours :icon_evil:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
In 2013 Verizon will still be trying to sell us phones with new bodies and old parts. We will have the Droid Charge Pro Incredible 6 with 5g speeds and still only 512mb ram and a single core processor, lol.