How does the stock app, Walking mate, make a distinction among Walking, Running and Up/down?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by James_Watson, Apr 27, 2015.

1. James_Watson

James_Watson New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    As we know, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a stock widget, Walking mate.
    What I wonder is how this stock app makes a distinction among Walking, Running and Up/down.

Thank you in advance. Have a good weekend.

2. James_Watson

James_Watson New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Refer to the screenshot, please.
    Walkingmate.png

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    I would guess using the accelerometer and gyroscopes built-in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I agree completely. It's all in how sensitive the sensors in the device are, as well as where on your body you have the phone most of the time.

I know on my Note 4, it will often show some running that I know I never did. I'm 6'2" though, with long legs and I tend to walk pretty fast, especially at work where I get the majority of my steps for each weekday.

I'm sure walking vs. running has something to do with amount of time between steps that the sensor detects. There must be a cutoff between what it's programmed to think is walking and running, but I'm not sure what that is.

As far as up and down, I'd say it's more of the same, but also depends on where you have the phone. If it's in your pocket, it's going to be laying mostly face up or face down, or turned on its side (basically landscape mode), while when you stand up, chances are it's in more of a portrait mode orientation. Not sure how that translates if you've got it in a holster on your hip and it doesn't really change orientation between sitting and standing though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    on my watches when I walk up steps fast at work they show up as running. Smaller rise with a bunch of steps and I'm usually in a hurry.
    As far as a holster, that, for me at least, has been a lot more accurate than my phone in my pocket.

• Useful Useful x 1
Search tags for this page

walking mate