How does "Global" work?

marioval

Reaction score
The last time I went out of the country I kept my phone in airplane mode so I didn't get ridiculous roaming charges.... I now have the 4.03.605.2 update with Global capabilities. Does this mean that if I go out of the country and change the network mode from LTE/CDMA to Global that I can use the phone just as if I were in the USA? Calls, SMS, and data? Thanks

acejavelin

Reaction score
No, not at all... "Global" means a couple different things here depending on who's POV you are referring to.

To Verizon a "Global Mode" phone is one that VZW can activate on international networks to allow roaming calls, you will be billed from Verizon at a "special" rate provided you sign up for that service. See International Roaming and Global Services for more information.

To most of us more fluent users, Global Mode means that your phone (and ROM) has the capability of using frequency ranges and services on networks other than Verizon, such as AT&T, O2, Vodaphone, Orange, NTT DoCoMo, etc. This is usually accomplished by getting a GSM or LTE Pre-Paid SIM card for that carrier, inserting it into your phone and adjusting the APN information in the phone to allow access to their data/SMS network.

Either way, it isn't just "turn on Global" and go... BTW, Verizon still does not recognize the Rezound as a Global-capable phone, the Global Mode leak was not official and not authorized by Verizon, so it cannot be used with VZW's Global Mode Roaming plan, they still consider the Rezound a CDMA/LTE ONLY device and not capable of GSM, which we all know is incorrect.

Last edited:

kefler

Reaction score
I have the same Global RUU. When I land in Europe, I just grab a cheapo sim card at the airport or train station, and put it in the phone. You switch to GSM/UMTS mode, enter the APN (But this is often not necessary) and you're done. I have been able to get 1x, 3g, and HSPA+ speeds in various places. Works very well. When the phone says H+ it seems to be at 5-8Mbps download. When you get home, switch back to CDMA/LTE mode (first), power off, swap sims, and go back to verizon.

I've done this in: Denmark, Norway, France, Switzerland, and all through the UK and Scotland. I think I could have done it anywhere, but the only real problem with this method is if you are only going to be in one country for a short time (for me usually < 24 hours) it isn't worth it to buy a SIM.. And I can't find any SIMs in any country that work outside of that one country.

The Rezound is fantastic though with a good prepaid anonymous SIM card. SMS, Data, GPS, works wonderfully. Was very useful in Zurich when I used google maps to tell a cab driver where to go.

PatG

Reaction score
Going to Europe in June. I was going to just flash the global update hoping to keep my number for emergencies and not swap SIM cards. I wasn't going to use data just over Wifi. I guess that's not going to work?

Well hopefully the SG4 is out before I go. My upgrade is burning a hole in my pants

kefler

Reaction score
Yeah the verizon sim in the rezounds is an LTE sim.. it won't register on GSM networks in europe so you can't have your number there. Verizon still doesn't consider it a global phone so they don't give us a global SIM.

jrredho

Reaction score
Going to Europe in June. I was going to just flash the global update hoping to keep my number for emergencies and not swap SIM cards. I wasn't going to use data just over Wifi. I guess that's not going to work?

Well, there's a less-clean option: Get a Google Voice number, install GV, and set up your phone's voicemail to forward to GV; there are some other creative things you can do with GV. Whenever you have a wifi signal, check GV or Gmail (depending on your set up); you can get voicemail forwards and missed calls in both. Also install something like GrooveIP to return calls using your GV number over the interwebs.

The drawback is that you will still miss SMS/MMS messages that come to your regular phone number, although I think the only way to avoid this is to sign up for Verizon's Global Plan.

Good luck,
john

gerrya

Reaction score
I used my completely stock Rezound in South America a few months back. I bought a Telestial Ekit worldwide sim. You can put any sim in a stock rezound and you will get voice but no data. Ive also gotten a T-mobile sim to work in it. You can download the app LTE on/off to switch between all the different networks that work with the SIM you buy. Of course you have to use the number they give you with the SIM, but if you have Google Voice thats not a problem.

Tha187um

Reaction score
Guys, all the tips and tricks mentioned on this thread are no longer necessary with the new Official Global Update that was just released, I do see this thread started a couple of weeks before the update came out. I hope you all updated. New global mode officially made the rezound a world phone.
But for those of you traveling out, just swap out the sim with a cheap prepaid local one :)

by the way, tried Tomobile sim card and data, voice and text worked fine without any tweaking...

PatG, you "liked" me on a post about GPS, did you ever load Locus? you can now use offline maps with Google Maps as well which will allow you to use GPS (Live location, not directions) without using data or cell connection if you decide to travel outside the US or anywhere you have no cell signal.

kefler

Reaction score
Guys, all the tips and tricks mentioned on this thread are no longer necessary with the new Official Global Update that was just released, I do see this thread started a couple of weeks before the update came out. I hope you all updated. New global mode officially made the rezound a world phone.
But for those of you traveling out, just swap out the sim with a cheap prepaid local one :)

by the way, tried Tomobile sim card and data, voice and text worked fine without any tweaking...

PatG, you "liked" me on a post about GPS, did you ever load Locus? you can now use offline maps with Google Maps as well which will allow you to use GPS (Live location, not directions) without using data or cell connection if you decide to travel outside the US or anywhere you have no cell signal.

OK, but just FYI there are no tips or tricks in this thread other than to load the "Official (leaked) Global Update" from last year.. So what this official update means is everyone can do the same thing We've been doing for nearly a year now :)

I do wonder though if the browser is better than what was in the global RUU. It has all kinds of issues. Not a problem since I use chrome but it bugged me. I will have to load up the real release to find out.

Tha187um

Reaction score
OK, but just FYI there are no tips or tricks in this thread other than to load the "Official (leaked) Global Update" from last year.. So what this official update means is everyone can do the same thing We've been doing for nearly a year now :)

I do wonder though if the browser is better than what was in the global RUU. It has all kinds of issues. Not a problem since I use chrome but it bugged me. I will have to load up the real release to find out.

Hi Kefler, I didn't mean it in a bad way :) I too had the global ruu leak since last year, however, SMS and data never worked for me, with this update both data and sms are working fine without making any changes besides setting it to global mode.

as to the browser, i couldnt tell u much about it as i havent used stock browser in ages.