How do you use the voice feature

lstroyan

Reaction score
For grins, would some of you try "Call Lastname Firstname" and see if it helps?

I think some of my contacts got entered backwards - I wonder if that could be it.

Zodduska

Reaction score
Tried it with similar results, (google search result "call john doe") all of my contacts are entered correctly (given name first, family name second)

I also can't use the "dial" prefix, some other people reported being able to say "dial" then a phone number and it would call.. all I get is the google search result.

the dedicated voice dialer app works fine though.

Last edited:

gloster

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a dedicated voice dialer app pre-installed. I tried it; it works fine. I can certainly live with a separate voice dialing button until they come up with a real bluetooth solution.

Jlogan

Reaction score
Mine won't call anyone, it just brings up a list of google searches. What gives?

I am having the same issue. It just seems to google search rather than search my contacts. I have contacts checked in the search setting.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Hmmm if I say "Call" slow and clear then the name it always either gives me the option to call the contact or to pick between several contacts that sound similar. If I say call fast sometimes I get the straight google search. So maybe it isn't recognizing the word "call"? other than that mine pretty much works everytime...

lstroyan

Reaction score
Mine has been erratic enough that I have put Voice Dialer back onto my home screen and I just use that for calls. It's fairly reliable for me and knows it should go with my contacts. It's an extra step (Home, then voice dial) but not bad.

OT -One feature I do like in the Voice Google search that I found yesterday is that if it doesn't understand a term, you can edit just one word of the search. I was searching for "Chipper's Lanes Horsetooth Bowling" (name of a local business) and it heard "Shepard's" - I edited that one word and got what I wanted.

CaryH

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help those that might have the same problem of not being able to Voice Dial using the regular Voice Search (Not the Voice Dialer). I had verified that I was syncing my Contacts with my Google Contacts and it was fairly obvious because I could see all the same Contacts on my Droid. I also verified that my Contacts were "checked" in my searchable items but whenever I would say: "Call John Doe at Mobile" it would just take me to the Google Search browser page searching for: Call John Doe at Mobile. It wouldn't search through the 300+ contacts I had in my Google Contacts.

***The problem is that your individual Contacts in Google Contacts need to be in your "My Contacts" group not just the "All Contacts" group. Once I moved all the contacts into the "My Contacts" group (or the "Friends" or "Family" groups which implicitly put them in the "My Contacts" group), the Voice Dialing through the Voice Search works better that using the Voice Dialer since it dials directly rather than having to select a narrowed down selection list.

I'm so glad I finally got this to work and it makes the voice dialing really worth while.

mike1655

Reaction score
so far I have found 4 things you can use your voice for. It does not matter what you have going on on the phone as long as you hold the magnifying glass on the bottom right.

Call --- for dialing people
Map of --- brings up address on map
Navigate --- Starts the navigation
Go to --- goes to a website

Anybody any other commands the Droid recognizes?

lstroyan

Reaction score
I didn't know about "Go To" - thanks.

The voice dialer will also respond to "Open..." application which is quite handy. Not sure about voice search.

OP
W
Reaction score
***The problem is that your individual Contacts in Google Contacts need to be in your "My Contacts" group not just the "All Contacts" group. Once I moved all the contacts into the "My Contacts" group (or the "Friends" or "Family" groups which implicitly put them in the "My Contacts" group), the Voice Dialing through the Voice Search works better that using the Voice Dialer since it dials directly rather than having to select a narrowed down selection list.

How do you do this?

Twoo

Reaction score
I'm actually really surprised by how accurate Google Voice is. The only problem I've had to say is saying "Zero" instead of "Oh". When I say zipcodes out loud I'll say "two one oh oh nine" instead of "two one zero zero nine" and 9/10 times Google Voice will do a 210 oh 9. So I have to correct myself.

lstroyan

Reaction score
P.S. An annoyance of Google Contacts is that there seems to be no way to see which contacts are NOT in my contacts. A trick for that is to type space into the search box. Everything pretty much has a space in it, and the search results will be grouped into My Contacts and Other and then you can mark all the ones you want to move and move them at once.