How do you send files to PC via Bluetooth?

saobi

Reaction score
I went to Droid Gallery, and selected a photo, pressed "share" -> "bluetooth". Then a list of devices came up , I see my PC, but it says "paired but not connected". I go to my PC, and bring up Blue tooth devices window in control panel, and i see "Droid", and i click on the entry, and on the bottom is says "Authenticated: Yes", "Connection in Use: No".

So, what's my next step, what do I do to transfer the file? Seems not very intuitive, this bluetooth technology. Could never get it working.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to use a 3rd party app, I like Bluetooth File Transfer, free in the market. Just pair the phone with the PC, and it should recognize the phone as a file source.

OP
S

saobi

Reaction score
You need to use a 3rd party app, I like Bluetooth File Transfer, free in the market. Just pair the phone with the PC, and it should recognize the phone as a file source.

Huh? Totally confused. There's a "share via bluetooth" option built within Droid. Why do I need a third party software?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Huh? Totally confused. There's a "share via bluetooth" option built within Droid. Why do I need a third party software?

Because the phone doesnt support the protocols necessary to do this without a 3rd party app. If there's someone out there who has done this without an extra app, then please share, but from what I've read/learn/done on my own, you need this app to do what you want to do.

OP
S

saobi

Reaction score

Because the phone doesnt support the protocols necessary to do this without a 3rd party app. If there's someone out there who has done this without an extra app, then please share, but from what I've read/learn/done on my own, you need this app to do what you want to do.

Then why such a feature is built if they know it doesn't work yet?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then why such a feature is built if they know it doesn't work yet?

You'll have to ask a Droid Dev... It does work, but Google or Motorola or whoever removed the OBEX protocols necessary to do this. Just use Bluetooth File Transfer, it works great, and it's free.

therock

Reaction score
Get an app called WebSharing and do it much faster wirelessly.

OP
S

saobi

Reaction score
I have a video I want to upload to youtube from Droid.

I can't do it from Droid, everytime I try to upload, it says "waiting for wifi". So I say, hmm, ok, no big deal.

So I turn on wifi in Droid, but for some reason my home wifi is extremely slow on my Droid (to the point of unusable, the same wifi spot works perfectly from my laptop. I've raised this issue with Google multiple times, no response. They say it's a bug but do not know how to fix it.).

So I, hmm, ok , no big deal, I'll send via Bluetooth.

So I turn on Bluetooth on my Droid, and turn on Bluetooth on my laptop running vista (allow other devices to connect to this computer). And then I go back to gallery, select, video, share->bluetooth. And, it says after 2 seconds "file not sent".

So I say, ok, no big deal, I'll download a good Bluetooth file transfer program from Market. So I get the famous "Bluetooth file transfer". Repeat the above, and still it cannot connect to my computer.

So now I say, ok, this IS A BIG DEAL.

What am I doing wrong? Please tell me sending file via bluetooth is a BASIC FEATURE of any smartphone....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can get an app called Bluetooth File Transfer in the Market.

OP
S

saobi

Reaction score
Yes I downloaded it, and it won't connect to my laptop, says my laptop has no PUSH SERVICE.

But I am able to use my laptop bluetooth with other devices, like MY 10 YEAR OLD SONY PHONE.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I turn on wifi in Droid, but for some reason my home wifi is extremely slow on my Droid (to the point of unusable, the same wifi spot works perfectly from my laptop. I've raised this issue with Google multiple times, no response. They say it's a bug but do not know how to fix it.).
Is your access point wireless N? If so, is it running in mixed mode? Try setting it to G only.