How do you save a ringtone from your text messages??

OP
K

kmoore72598

Reaction score
ok, i tried that and it didnt work? any other suggestions?

help..............

BrEmEv

Reaction score
saved audio from text messages

I jsut got my DI yesterday and am still trying to learn everything so I joined this site today to try and get SO MANY of my questions answered. Some of them I have seen on here and some not. I saw this question about saving audio from text messages and I got it saved by long pressing like suggested but can't find it. Another post said go to settings>sounds&displays but it isn't there, only the factory ringtones. Can somebody please help me? Thanks!!

D

dvdcatalyst

Accessing new ringtones on Droid - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community
Now, if I am understanding him right, he is saying that he downloaded a ringtong from the My Verizon store. When you download ringtones from that store, it is sent to you on your phone via text message. I have a Motorola Droid and I figured out how to get the file from there. It's actually very simple, but not obvious at all. Essentially, the text message comes from verizon and shows that you have an attachment with that message. However, when you go in the message, you can touch the large play button and listen to it, but there is no option to record it or save it as a ringtone. The solution is this: Press and Hold your finger on the TEXT BODY below the large Play Button. That will then give you the menu option to Save as Ringtone. After that, it's just a matter of going into your ringtone settings and setting it as your ringtone. To be honest, it's the least obvious solution of all the options I attempted, but that's how you do it. Cheers.

after that:

Go to your applications and touch on Music. Once in music, touch on menu and you should find your ringtone there. Touch set as ringtone and the rest is easy...If you downloaded multiple ringtones touch on the music symbol on the bottom right of your screen adn that should bring up all of your ringtones. Touch one, pause it, touch menu and then a box pops up to choose contact or phone ringtone.

BrEmEv

Reaction score
I got my son to send me a text from his phone with music to see if I could save it because some ppl on here were having problems and I didn't want to get ringtones from verizon if I couldn't save. You can do this with your moto droid but will it work for me on my DI? Also, where did the song/audio I saved from the text message my son sent me go? It said saved but I can't find it. Thanks!

D

dvdcatalyst

I got my son to send me a text from his phone with music to see if I could save it because some ppl on here were having problems and I didn't want to get ringtones from verizon if I couldn't save. You can do this with your moto droid but will it work for me on my DI? Also, where did the song/audio I saved from the text message my son sent me go? It said saved but I can't find it. Thanks!

Both phones run Android, so pretty much how it works on one phone model is how it works on another model. The hardware-buttons might be a little different, but under the hood, it's still Android doing the work.

As for where your saved files went, this comes from the same thread:

If you already have music files you'd like to use for ringtones, alarms, notifications, etc. Connect your device to your PC, on the device, got to USB, then mount the SD card. Now on the root of SD card create the following folders by type, they are as follows:

Notifications: media/audio/notifications
Ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
Alarms: media/audio/alarms

After you unmount the card and disconnect, when the phone refreshes all your ringtones, alarms, notifications, etc. will show in the affiliated display.

So your files should be in one of these folders

Notifications: media/audio/notifications
Ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
Alarms: media/audio/alarms

If you start your Music app, they should show up in there as well, regardless of where they are saved.

BrEmEv

Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me...I am a slow learner and thought the phone would be very complicated for me but I just wanted it SO BAD!!!

D

dvdcatalyst

thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me...I am a slow learner and thought the phone would be very complicated for me but I just wanted it SO BAD!!!

You are welcome, I hope you have it figured out now :)

BrEmEv

Reaction score
YES!! I did figure it out thanks to all your help. Now, I am trying to get my Seidio Innocase II off so I can apply my Steinheil Crystal Clear Screen Protectors...wouldn't know how to help me there would ya? I saw a thread on here but it wasn't very helpful and I am squeezing my phone to death and think I may break it before I can get the cover off.

D

dvdcatalyst

YES!! I did figure it out thanks to all your help. Now, I am trying to get my Seidio Innocase II off so I can apply my Steinheil Crystal Clear Screen Protectors...wouldn't know how to help me there would ya? I saw a thread on here but it wasn't very helpful and I am squeezing my phone to death and think I may break it before I can get the cover off.

Glad to hear that part is working.
Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to help you with your protector. I always use "Invisible Shield" for my gadgets.

airforce one

Reaction score
saving ringtones

I see that that method also works when a person sends you a pix message also.