How do you rebuild the music library on the Droid?

RosarioM

Reaction score
I decided to try using the free Motorola Media Link software and see if that worked. I deleted the Music directory on the SD card and used MML to sync some tunes from my hard drive to the phone. It worked fine; all the tunes show up on the phone. Interestingly, they're in the Music folder on the SD card, right where I had tried manually copying files.
So I don't understand how Music Player decides when to refresh its lists, but I have a working solution.

If you copy the files into the music directory and use SDrescan, you don't need to use the Media Link. Media Link would not run on my 64bit Windows 7 PC.

moregrey

Reaction score
If you copy the files into the music directory and use SDrescan, you don't need to use the Media Link. Media Link would not run on my 64bit Windows 7 PC.
I'm also using Win 7 64bit, and I was able to install MML using the compatibility mode. This thread might help: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/69708
I used Windows XP SP 3 for compatibility and it seems to have worked fine.

qsg001

Reaction score
I had the same issues. A friend of mine told me about SDrescan (in the marketplace). I just tried it and it works great! No need to restart.
How long did the did the SDrescan take to run? I am trying that and it has been running for over 15 minutes on my 16gb card.

labrat

Reaction score
I can't believe a 3rd party app is necessary for a vital function of included software. So many things done so right with this device, so many things done SO wrong. Why couldn't there be a freaking menu option to rescan/rebuild library? Even windows mobile has that. and don't get me started on a file explorer/task manager. It would be like a car that has everything you need, except wheels (it includes the tires, just not the wheels) and a crankshaft. You have to find and install those on your own. And the only way to turn off the radio ( or lights, wipers, etc) is to turn the entire car off, and restart it. /sorry to bring up an older thread, but this is getting irritating.

Raeuber

Reaction score
I also have duplicate album listings in my player and I can't get them to delete. I have read through all threads in this matter and tried every solutions given by other members but none have worked for me. Duplicate listings still there. This stinks.

TheDelano

Reaction score
I am at my wits end. I just got the Droid yesterday and have been attempting to get the music to display properly in the Music Library all day.
I have been having trouble with the music library. Only 3 artists show up!
I have reformatted the SD card, opened the music library to make sure nothing shows up, then copied over everything to the Music folder on the SD card again and it shows only 3 artists.
I tried downloading SDrescan, but it just runs continually for hours and never completes.
I have no idea what else to do at this point! Any ideas?

gabeevans88

Reaction score
You have to go to the file properties, right click / properties / then click the details tab, and enter all of the information separately, there may be another way but that is the way that worked for me. Hope it helps

after reading your post again, i realized that i am having the same problem as you i think, mine will only load MP3 files, no windows media files, not sure if that is supposed to be like that or theres a problem?

TheDelano

Reaction score
Nope, that's not the problem. All the files are properly tagged with artist, album, genre, track number, etc.
Nor is it an mp3 problem. All my files are mp3s.

jbilicic

Reaction score
Backup and Format.....

I tried everything you tried. Finally I backed up my Droids SD card onto my laptop and then used the Format SD card functionality on the Droid.

After you Backup the SD card disconnect from your computer. Then under settings select SD card & phone storage. Unmount the SD card and then Format it.

Once it was done formatting I restored my SD card and Eureka my music library was empty. Hope this helps you guys out.

JB:icon_ banana:

unwiserflunky

Reaction score
So I had a similar issue today with duplicate files/removed files showing up in both my gallery and music apps and may have uncovered a few steps that might help out in the future.

1. Try rebooting first. If that does not resolve your issue move on to step 2.

2. on the phone (via usb cable) I went to Android/data/com.cooliris.media/cache

3. find the files you want to remove. for example, in my case I wanted to remove all cached album info due to duplicates and albums that I had deleted still showing up in my music library so I found any and all files in this folder with a label similar to "local-album-cacheindex" and deleted them. In this case I had my SD card backed up and was not worried about nuking the SD card so I just highlighted all the files and removed them from the SD card. (I did not delete just in case something went horribly wrong)

4. Verify that your task killer is not set up to auto kill at startup or screen dark, this may kill any task that is rebuilding the album/gallery cache

5. Power down and power up your phone. I did not do a battery pull as I wanted to ensure that the phone went through it's standard shutdown/bootup

This seems to have fixed the problem. My albums are now showing correctly what I have on the card and it has removed all duplicate and non-existent files.

I do realize those of you using file management programs might not have this issue but I noticed this problem today after removing and adding music files the "old fashioned" way, just drag and drop. I have not done any significant rooting of my phone.

unwiserflunky

Reaction score
So I had a similar issue today with duplicate files/removed files showing up in both my gallery and music apps and may have uncovered a few steps that might help out in the future.

1. Try rebooting first. If that does not resolve your issue move on to step 2.

2. on the phone (via usb cable) I went to Android/data/com.cooliris.media/cache

3. find the files you want to remove. for example, in my case I wanted to remove all cached album info due to duplicates and albums that I had deleted still showing up in my music library so I found any and all files in this folder with a label similar to "local-album-cacheindex" and deleted them. In this case I had my SD card backed up and was not worried about nuking the SD card so I just highlighted all the files and removed them from the SD card. (I did not delete just in case something went horribly wrong)

4. Verify that your task killer is not set up to auto kill at startup or screen dark, this may kill any task that is rebuilding the album/gallery cache

5. Power down and power up your phone. I did not do a battery pull as I wanted to ensure that the phone went through it's standard shutdown/bootup

This seems to have fixed the problem. My albums are now showing correctly what I have on the card and it has removed all duplicate and non-existent files.

I do realize those of you using file management programs might not have this issue but I noticed this problem today after removing and adding music files the "old fashioned" way, just drag and drop. I have not done any significant rooting of my phone.
And after some serious "fiddling around" with my phone since the cache folder delete, it seems to be running much faster with basic system functions such as slide swipes, touch keyboard and menu pull ups. Maybe this is already discovered but it seems like a good method to keep your Moto Droid running well. I'm going to assume that the file system structure is similar on other versions of the Android OS.