1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How Do You Make Movies to Play on Droid w/o Overheating / Freezing CPU?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Liquid Fusion, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Droid BB 6.1 rom flies fast coupled with Chevy's 1.2gHz kernel. Droid super heats / freezes after copying movie .MP4 files (~1GHz each) - made from DVD .ISO sources to sdcard.

- h264_ipod codec - movies aren't viewable at all on Droid: phone heats / shuts off

- mpeg4_ipod codec - movies viewable / clear (vid quality: 1500kbps / audio 160 kbps): phone heats / shuts off

- short .mp4 videos made by KeepVid (from YouTube urls) work fine: Droid fast / low temp

- removing .mp4 files (made from iso) restores fast action and low temp to Droid BB 6.1

How do you get large mp4 movies made from iso sources to play on your Droid (keeping action and low temp)?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 New Member

I actually learned the best method from having a blackberry storm. The site Crackberry.com has the best tutorial for this and I have made a lot of movies this way that are high quality and run smooth without overheating issues. I do run my Droid at 700 Mhz as I cannot see the point of going faster just to say I can, and my droid runs smooth too. Here is the link to the site, I hope this is not frowned upon, DVD to Storm Walkthrough with Pictures - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com . Good luck!:icon_ banana:
  3. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Anyone use DVD Cayalyst4? That's what I have. Will get handbrake and try that as well.
  4. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Handbrake = success!!!! Mp4 videos made from DVD .iso source play perfectly in time. Droid stays cool and does not freeze. THANKS!!!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. speakercode

speakercode New Member

handbrake is simply the best for converting movies to any format you want. What settings did you use for handbrake to convert to play on Droid?
  6. harpua

harpua New Member

wondershare aint so bad neither
  7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

In general, use a codec and settings that burden the processor as little as possible when decompressing.
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

DVD Catalyst 4 + AnyDVD owns Handbrake.......
  9. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

How about not running it at 1.2Ghz? If your phone heats up and freezes while performing a CPU taxing task, perhaps your chip is not entirely stable at those speeds. Like overclocking a PC, just because it boots, doesn't mean you're in the clear. Try turning it down to 1.0 and see what happens when you play a movie.
  10. ruiner

ruiner New Member

Try RockPlayer. will play any file type smoothly, no conversion no heating.
  11. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

I like snappy / fast action of 1.2 GHz - I do / have tried turning it down to 800 MHz - or even 550MHz. Good point.

I) DVD Decryptor to rip DVD to iso file. If I need subtitles I use DVDFab. Not yet tried directly using handbrake to rip DVD to iso.

II) Handbrake Settings:

- source - find your Movie____.iso file
    - I use .iso images as I watch movies on my PC via DVD Shrink: seach for the .iso file: dbl clk for full screen. Easy Fast. Action.
    - select movie on source drive
    - check timing of movie to be sure it's the right one
    - iPhone & Ipod touch
    - container: mp4
    - destination: (other Harddrive) - Save as type - mp4
    - change m4v to mp4 (destination file name)
    - check: iPod 5G Support

Picture:
    height = 480 = height of droid
    width - I check if width is going to be more than 848. Is it is, I uncheck "Keep aspect ratio" and enter the actual width number of the source file.
    Example: Source = 720 X 480 so I enter those numbers in Handbrake for w/h.

Video:
    Video codec - H.264 (x264)
    FPS = Same as source
    Avg Bitrate = 1200
    Check: 2 Pass-encoding
    Check: Turbo first pass

Audio:
    Mixdown: Stereo
    Sample rate auto - as its 48kHz in source
    Bitrate = 160kbps as that's what's selected already - even though track says 128kbps.

Result: 90 min DVD = ~1GB mp4 file. Takes 10 min to transfer to Droid via USB 2.0 Mount. If you have the sdcard adaptor, you can insert the sdcard into it and then insert the adapter card into a card reader to fast copy gigs of data from PC to sdcard in very short times. Remember sometimes it's hard to reinsert the sdcard into the droid. Be careful. Take your time.

The above conditions make great DVDs: words / mouths are in sync, amazing picture quality, plus you have the ability to instantly shut off movie and return to phone action without any problems. No heating. None!!!

Disadvantage to this codec - Conversion time = 4 to 5 hours for a 90min film. Do it overnight. When you see the results play easily on your Droid.......... fill in the rest!!
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  12. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

I have Catalyst 4 - Using mpeg4_ipod codec, I can make mp4 movies that play on the Droid, but after playing movies, the CPU overheats, resulting in the Droid freeze. Constant battery pulls get me back into the Droid for a few min before heating kills the Droid - and it freezes again. Handbrake does something different than Catalyst 4.

How do you get Cat 4 to work? Right now, I use Handbrake as it works and plays movies - letting me use my Droid at will.

Do you have Droid 1 as I do? Or do you have Droid X?
    - Droid 1 CPU 550 MGz vs Droid X CPU 1GHz
    - Droid 1 Camera = 3 Mega pixels vs Droid X camera = 8 mega pixels
  13. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

Do H.264 videos play in Froyo now? When I first upgraded, all my videos (& all AAC audio) refused to play unless I disabled Stagefright. It's been off ever since; I've never turned it back on to see if the bug was fixed.

Droid 1 camera = 5 megapixels. Says right on the back of the unit.
  14. Liquid Fusion

Liquid Fusion New Member

Droid 1 camera = 5 megapixels!!! Right!!!
    What's Stagefright? Is it part of BB? Found this link on Stagefright fix..... Did Pete fix this already in 6.1?
  15. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

Stagefright is the new media framework that was introduced with Froyo, replacing OpenCore. I really don't know what the point of it is, or why Google made the switch, as all it did was break things. As I said, all my H.264 video and AAC audio stopped working until I disabled Stagefright (there's a line in build.prop that controls it), which reverts the Droid back to the OpenCore decoder, which actually works for me.

As far as I know, Stagefright was also the cause of the famous tinny-sounding-Pandora bug.