How do you make an Update.zip

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by DF Smod, Jun 17, 2010.

1. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I am sure this is easy to do, I always update my ROM's when new versions come out and I have about twenty system/data apps and my framework-res.apk that I have themed and I always take with me from one rom to the next.

The other day when I went from BB 0.1 Froyo to BB 0.2 I copied my whole system app folder to my SDcard and used Better Terminal to push all of these .apk's into the system, very time consuming but this is the only way I know how

My question is how do I make an update.zip file to place all of these .apk's into and then just install the update from recovery

Thanks in Advance

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A simple solution: Most of the time (from what i found in the past) you can simply take an update.zip and delete everything you dont need (like framework and apps) and replace them with your themed files. Works for me a lot.

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    So I thought about that and I understand that all of my stuff needs to have a direction, system/apps need to be in a folder named apps that is in a folder named system and framework-res in a folder named framework in a folder named system.

What part does the META-INF of the .zip play? If I use a update.zip to place my .apk's in that was used to house a full ROM will it overwrite my whole system or should I use an update.zip that only had a few things in it and just delete those and add my own?

4. rcfx

rcfx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to know how to do this too, so I don't have to push all my themed apps back in one at a time when I'm rom hopping.

5. Sal R.

Sal R. Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I use theme'd update.zip's to apply additional system/app apks and personally theme'd apks.

I don't know what META -INF plays in the udpate.zip, but I've run into bootloop problems using ROM update.zip to apply theme'd/custom apks.

Search tags for this page
droid razr crate update.zip

how to do a update.zip

how to make meta-inf android

make a update.zip from meta inf
make update.zip android