1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How do you know if you blocked OTA updates?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I am rooted with Beautiful Beast and just want to make sure 2.1 isn't going to come along and **** me over.

Also, when 2.1 comes out with Flash, will it be a simple update, or a completely new ROM or what?
  2. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

if you have sprecovery 0.99.2b then ota is blocked, if not then you would have to do it manually, which can be done by renaming the /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

and as far as 2.1 goes you would have to do some kind of fresh install, one option would to go back to stock 2.0.1 without root and do the OTA update when it comes and another would be to just wait for custom roms that are 2.1 which would still likely have to overwrite whats on your phone
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I have SP installed. So basically it would probably be easiest to keep the OTA 2.1 blocked until they come out with a custom rom with Flash, then just revert back to OEM and then flash using the update.zip with the Flash installed?

Hope that makes sense.
  4. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

you probably wont have to go back to stock if you are installing another custom rom, you might wipe /system and /data during installation but that all depends on the rom you use, basically leaving it blocked is the easiest thing to do and when 2.1 comes out if you want it you can just go back to stock 2.0.1 (without root) and just OTA upgrade to 2.1 (without root)
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I'd rather have this rooted rom than a non rooted one with flash to be honest, so I'll just wait until they get it hacked.
  6. Guchi

Guchi New Member

Me too!!!!
  7. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

thats what most people will do, root/custom rom usually trumps 2.1 in most peoples mind
  8. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Maybe not before but 1ghz + wifi tether ftmfw!
Search tags for this page

how to tell if someone has blocked you on an htc resound pho