how do you get your apps back?

droid_girl

Reaction score
my droid was stolen...bought a new one and my old apps in the market did not sync with the new phone. I still see the purchases on google's checkout so those that I paid for I can email and ask...but what about the free ones? Do I need to reinstall again?

trumpet444

Reaction score
hmm.... they usually don't "sync" and download themselves after signing into google if thats what you're asking. But everything you've downloaded should show up under the soft menu "downloads". and then you can just d'load everything again separately.

BUT, I've never tried signing in on another phone. Do they just give you the option of "open" or "uninstall & refund"? or do they just say "install"?

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
nope...first thing I did was check in the menu's download. It only shows the history of what I installed on the new phone and no apps from the stolen phone...same gmail account so the google checkout is the same.

also I was able to sync back my contacts but I lost all the photos I had attached. Do I have to manually attach each photo back to each contact or is there an easier way? Verizon doesn't know.

trumpet444

Reaction score
Ooh, that sucks. Probably have to manually install everything from scratch. Can really suck, heck, i have about 220 apps on my phone.
And yeah, I'd say you have to manually attach each photo, as they were attached with the other sd card's info, not your new one. I'd change my credit card info on the google checkout though. Too bad you didn't have the Mobile Defense app or something like that, bc then you could wipe that entire (stolen) phone remotely

trumpet444

Reaction score
i personally let facebook sync and attach photos to contacts automatically. too many contacts to do individually.....but it can be weird tho bc some of my buddies have pics of them shirtless on the beach and that can look a little gay in my contact list! haha.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
No love for non-rooters

had a similar problem.
go am insurance phone and had to re-download every app.
there doesn't appear to be non-root app sync software available.

the market also doesn't do a great job of tracking all of your downloads.
so because i'm a non root i made a gdoc with an app list that i keep updated.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it won't help the OP at this point but for the future there are several sites that keep track of and synchronize your downloaded apps in the "cloud." The one I use is appbrain.com. In the event that your Droid is replaced, you can simply log in to appbrain and reinstall your missing apps, paid and free.

OP
D

droid_girl

Reaction score
thank you everyone.

I was lucky that I always keep my credit card info deleted off of google's checkout to then go on my PC, activate my CC and then buy the app and immediately "edit" my credit card info and delete it from google's server.

The reason was that I didn't know google kept this CC info and I went to amazon or some other online store and bought something and it was paid from my google checkout AUTOMATICALLY...scary. Who would want one's credit card access on a portable phone?

another thing I can share is that if one is in the same jam as me and can't remember all the paid apps they installed they can go and sign into their primary gmail account, go to google checkout [it is on the top menu, you have to drag down and click "other"] and then find the checkout. Once you sign in @ google checkout you can view your checkout history. Attached to each purchase is the app's contact info and google transaction number. Last night I emailed each one. I doubt for 99 cents or $2.99 these guys will bother and allow me to reinstall again but it is worth the effort.

If you are still reading I have one final question. I bought wavesecure...love it so far, did a track and saw a sat. photo of what part of my house my phone was in. They do have backup capacity.
[1] Can one reinstall this data into another phone if my second droid is stolen?
[2] Also how can ANY security app track if the thief is smart enough to remove the battery?
[3] I did sync my old, now stolen phone to my PC and downloaded some Livo recordings and photos as well as some unfamiliar droid files...that I have. Is there any droid files [please post them!!] that will restore the apps or other info on my new droid? This way I can restore it back to normal.

thanks in advance if you are still reading this and if you post
droid girl

Sayersj629

Reaction score
The best way to backup your contacts with pictures is to export them to the sd card. All the details and pictures are saved in one vcard formated file ready to be re-imported at your leisure.

I know it wouldn't necessarily help in the case of a lost phone but once you're all set up you could export the contacts to the sd card and then move them to a pc for safekeeping. I know they're backed up in other places as well, but this method works very well and its fast.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it won't help the OP at this point but for the future there are several sites that keep track of and synchronize your downloaded apps in the "cloud." The one I use is appbrain.com. In the event that your Droid is replaced, you can simply log in to appbrain and reinstall your missing apps, paid and free.

just started using appbrain and i love it.

search for apps by categories.
sync the apps on your phone.

I'll never have the headache of a new phone again.